Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 03:59 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Same can be said for adults who get baptized. What happens after their adult baptism and they later become an unbeliever. The only difference is that the older personal chose to be baptized and the baby had no choice. But the baby grows up to be an adult so if they remain the same religion, then they consent to it. That is what Confirmation is in the Catholic religion. It means we are still on board at 13 years old, the same age a boy is a man in Judaism.
I get that, but there is something to be said about being old enough when one is baptized to be able to appreciate its significance and to be able to remember the experience later on. Besides, the Bible does seem to require faith in Jesus Christ and repentance of one's sins before being baptized. Of course, I realize that Catholics believe in Original Sin, which I do not. Consequently, I see no need for baptism until a person is mature enough to understand why he is being baptized and what effect it will have on him.

Quote:
I know a few born again Christians. I have also had quire a few try to convert me in my lifetime. My observations of them are that they nearly all hit rock bottom at some times, usually because of drugs. They all say that while hitting rock bottom that Jesus came to them to turn their life around, which I am not so sure is reality but could most likely be part of their drug induced trip. They are not very holy in that they still drink excessively, don’t tell a cashier if they received more money in error, take advantage of broken vending machines, etc. One told me that they cannot have any alcohol at all. When I pointed out that Jesus drank wine at the last supper, he said that “everyone knows that he drank in fermented grapes. He said I was going to hell when I went to my catholics confession. They all say we are going to hell if we do not turn ourselves over to their religion. At least, this is based on every one I knew. I think they are nuts for the most part. If not, I am going to hell.
Yeah, I'm totally with you on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 06:55 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I get that, but there is something to be said about being old enough when one is baptized to be able to appreciate its significance and to be able to remember the experience later on. Besides, the Bible does seem to require faith in Jesus Christ and repentance of one's sins before being baptized. Of course, I realize that Catholics believe in Original Sin, which I do not. Consequently, I see no need for baptism until a person is mature enough to understand why he is being baptized and what effect it will have on him.

Yeah, I'm totally with you on that.
But if the adult does not become born again, that means he has accepted the religion his parents chose for him. He is free to become born again if he wishes, but usually does not. Even if you discount the original baby baptism, the confirmation supports it and not becoming born again later in life supports the original baptism all the more.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
But if the adult does not become born again, that means he has accepted the religion his parents chose for him. He is free to become born again if he wishes, but usually does not. Even if you discount the original baby baptism, the confirmation supports it and not becoming born again later in life supports the original baptism all the more.
Uh huh... Well, to each his own. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:41 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have a question for those of you who identify as born-again Christians. I would like to know how the experience of being "born again" has changed the way in which you interact with your fellow human beings, i.e. your fellow born-again Christians, all other Christians, non-Christians who are devout in their own beliefs, and non-religious or non-believing individuals?

In your opinion, has being born again made you a better person, or does it just ensure your salvation?
Being born again of water and the Spirit has made me a much better person in every way over the years. Sometimes, I barely recognize myself. The Holy Spirit has truly made me a new creation. I don’t attack people who disagree with what I believe. However, I do challenge their beliefs in a respectful manner if I believe they are wrong, and I use the Scriptures to do it. Being born again is something Jesus commanded. Obedience to His gospel assures me of my salvation. Hebrews 5:9 says He is the author of salvation to all who obey.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Being born again of water and the Spirit has made me a much better person in every way over the years. Sometimes, I barely recognize myself. The Holy Spirit has truly made me a new creation. I don’t attack people who disagree with what I believe. However, I do challenge their beliefs in a respectful manner if I believe they are wrong, and I use the Scriptures to do it. Being born again is something Jesus commanded. Obedience to His gospel assures me of my salvation. Hebrews 5:9 says He is the author of salvation to all who obey.
Welcome to the forum, MissKate. I agree that once a person is born again, he should be able to notice a change within himself. The biggest change, I think, is that negative feelings for other people should go away, as we realize that we are all brothers and sisters and all beloved children of God. If that change doesn't take place, I would question that being born again even happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity