Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 03:59 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I can't say what any individual Catholic may or may not believe. I can only say what the Catholic Church formally teaches and formally condemns; and we as Catholics are required to hold to those beliefs. Of course, not every Catholic follows Catholic teaching.
Ok, I misunderstood the article as explaining two positions. ETA, I will go back and read the article again. I’m curious about the meaning of the cup and bread, in Catholic theology.

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 10-12-2021 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
But the first person of the Trinity pouring out wrath on the second person of the Trinity is a rift. It's simply not possible. It implies that God the Father is displeased with God the Son, when in fact it's the exact opposite. Jesus experienced the wrath of man, not the wrath of God.
Yeah, that’s not what scripture says, imo, especially Isaiah 53.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:56 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yeah, that’s not what scripture says, imo, especially Isaiah 53.
The explanation for Isaiah 53 is as simple as an acknowledgment that it was the Father's will that the Son should suffer. Christ submitted perfectly to His Father's will, even to the point of death on the cross.

It is incorrect to interpret that as God the Father punishing God the Son. God is perfectly just, and it is never just to punish the innocent.

God the Son willed to suffer in order to redeem mankind.

Suffering is not always the result of sin of the one suffering. In the case of Christ, it was not His sin that caused Him suffering as He had no sin; it was the sins of others that caused His suffering.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:06 PM

Quote:
The explanation for Isaiah 53 is as simple as an acknowledgment that it was the Father's will that the Son should suffer. Christ submitted perfectly to His Father's will, even to the point of death on the cross.

It is incorrect to interpret that as God the Father punishing God the Son. God is perfectly just, and it is never just to punish the innocent.

God the Son willed to suffer in order to redeem mankind.

Suffering is not always the result of sin of the one suffering. In the case of Christ, it was not His sin that caused Him suffering as He had no sin; it was the sins of others that caused His suffering.
I disagree. Isaiah 53, speaking prophetically about Jesus’ suffering says that “the punishment that brought us peace was upon him” and “it was the Lord’s will to crush him”…

Old 10-12-2021, 08:08 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
I disagree. Isaiah 53, speaking prophetically about Jesus’ suffering says that “the punishment that brought us peace was upon him” and “it was the Lord’s will to crush him”…
Yes, God allowed Himself to suffer an unjust punishment at the hands of sinners. This suffering brought us peace. It was God's will that this should take place.

Again, to construe that as God actively punishing Christ is an affront to God's justice as the justice of God would not allow Him to punish an innocent party. God does allow the righteous to suffer, but He does not actively punish when it is not deserved.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:20 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Quote:
Do you believe in the Holy Trinity? Father, Son and Holy Spirit? If so, this theory makes no sense. It invalidates the unity of the Holy Trinity. Christ said "a house divided against itself can not stand".

Old 10-13-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Do you believe in the Holy Trinity? Father, Son and Holy Spirit? If so, this theory makes no sense. It invalidates the unity of the Holy Trinity. Christ said "a house divided against itself can not stand".
Yes, I do, but on the cross, Christ represented us. That’s why He was punished.

Do you believe Isaiah 53?

Old 10-13-2021, 06:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The dominant interpretation is that God required it to appease His wrath by a blood sacrifice so He could forgive us for "whatever" and save us from Hell or damnation.
Most churches believe that the "whatever" is "original sin." And then of course, ongoing sin.

God's "wrath" was at the sin, not at Jesus Himself. The sin represented on the cross.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 2,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have a question for those of you who identify as born-again Christians. I would like to know how the experience of being "born again" has changed the way in which you interact with your fellow human beings, i.e. your fellow born-again Christians, all other Christians, non-Christians who are devout in their own beliefs, and non-religious or non-believing individuals?

In your opinion, has being born again made you a better person, or does it just ensure your salvation?
I believe that the belief of being born again derives from John Wesley and his idea of the second act of grace, which is the belief that at some point a miracle is performed by God and the person experiences a sort of sanctification, wherein they’re reborn “perfect” without the original sin of Adam and Eve. As a Catholic I find this to be, sorry for harsh words, heretical. Human beings can’t be made perfect, we carry around the stain of sinfulness for our whole lives, and that’s the entire raison d’être for Christ. I take St Anselm’s position on atonement from Cur Deus Homo, that the crucifixion was Jesus Christ engaging in an act of superoagtory obedience to make satisfaction for the disobedience of mankind made manifest in sin. If God intended to individually liberate people from the tendency to sin then the crucifixion was unnecessary, it’s payment for a debt that God intended to absolve....

Old 10-13-2021, 08:27 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Yes, God allowed Himself to suffer an unjust punishment at the hands of sinners. This suffering brought us peace. It was God's will that this should take place.

Again, to construe that as God actively punishing Christ is an affront to God's justice as the justice of God would not allow Him to punish an innocent party. God does allow the righteous to suffer, but He does not actively punish when it is not deserved.
You are so close to the truth. Jesus did what God required but He did it as a human so we would not need to be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity