Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepurple View Post
I believe that the belief of being born again derives from John Wesley and his idea of the second act of grace, which is the belief that at some point a miracle is performed by God and the person experiences a sort of sanctification, wherein they’re reborn “perfect” without the original sin of Adam and Eve.
"Born again" is a Biblical and Catholic term, as it comes from Christ's conversation with Nicodemus in John 3.

While evangelicals view being "born again" as a purely spiritual experience, we (Catholics) equate it with the sacramental experience of baptism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are so close to the truth. Jesus did what God required but He did it as a human so we would not need to be perfect.
Jesus did what God required so that we could be perfected.

Catholicism holds a more nuanced view of the concept of "perfection" than evangelicalism or Protestantism typically does.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:56 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
You are so close to the truth. Jesus did what God required but He did it as a human so we would not need to be perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Jesus did what God required so that we could be perfected.
Catholicism holds a more nuanced view of the concept of "perfection" than evangelicalism or Protestantism typically does.
Closer. In order to be perfected, we have to remain with God despite our imperfections. Jesus provides us the cover while that happens. I like the pearl analogy my friend Rosey often posts. An irritating grain of sand enters an oyster but instead of spitting it out the oyster covers it with some of itself. The longer it remains in the oyster under its coverage the bigger and more beautiful the pearl becomes.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:16 AM

1,094 posts, read 884,020 times
Without God, life is a dirty trick.

The Holy Spirit is God's network. We are connected.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Closer. In order to be perfected, we have to remain with God despite our imperfections.
How does this play out in real time? I would say it's through the Sacrament of Confession - we confess our sins and receive absolution, healing our imperfections and bringing us ever closer to Christ.

Quote:
Jesus provides us the cover while that happens. I like the pearl analogy my friend Rosey often posts. An irritating grain of sand enters an oyster but instead of spitting it out the oyster covers it with some of itself. The longer it remains in the oyster under its coverage the bigger and more beautiful the pearl becomes.
Nope. God's grace is much more powerful than that. Rather than merely providing 'cover' for our sins as Luther asserted through his "snow-covered dung hill" metaphor, Christ actually transforms us from the inside out!

Old 10-13-2021, 10:12 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Closer. In order to be perfected, we have to remain with God despite our imperfections. Jesus provides us the cover while that happens. I like the pearl analogy my friend Rosey often posts. An irritating grain of sand enters an oyster but instead of spitting it out the oyster covers it with some of itself. The longer it remains in the oyster under its coverage the bigger and more beautiful the pearl becomes.
Quote:
How does this play out in real time? I would say it's through the Sacrament of Confession - we confess our sins and receive absolution, healing our imperfections and bringing us ever closer to Christ.
You are referring to what happens while we are here and it is called repentance, or the renewing of our mind. We are removing the irritating parts of our "sandy" selves before we have to join God on our death. We only need the cover of Jesus's perfection once we die and are "born again" as potentially "sandy" spirits.
Quote:
Nope. God's grace is much more powerful than that. Rather than merely providing 'cover' for our sins as Luther asserted through his "snow-covered dung hill" metaphor, Christ actually transforms us from the inside out!
It is after our death and rebirth as spirits that we need the cover of Christ's perfection (Grace) while we are being actually transformed from the inside out to remove all the dross.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
We only need the cover of Jesus's perfection once we die and are "born again" as potentially "sandy" spirits. It is after our death and rebirth as spirits that we need the cover of Christ's perfection (Grace) while we are being actually transformed from the inside out to remove all the dross.
What authority has promulgated this view?

Old 10-13-2021, 10:17 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
What authority has promulgated this view?
A mighty strong liver shiver.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:44 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, I do, but on the cross, Christ represented us. That’s why He was punished.

Do you believe Isaiah 53?
I believe you're misinterpreting Isaiah 53. This fire and brimstone vengefulness goes against God's love for his Son and his love for us. God wanted to restore us out of love so that it would be possible for us to be born again.To free us from death. The cross isn't the entire work of the crucifixion. What about the continuing events of Holy Saturday and the resurection? This was all for us out of God's love.

Old 10-13-2021, 11:30 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I believe you're misinterpreting Isaiah 53. This fire and brimstone vengefulness goes against God's love for his Son and his love for us. God wanted to restore us out of love so that it would be possible for us to be born again.To free us from death. The cross isn't the entire work of the crucifixion. What about the continuing events of Holy Saturday and the resurection? This was all for us out of God's love.
You’re confusing God’s justice with God’s love. Jesus, out of love, took our punishment on the cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity