Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 10:11 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not finding any actual answers to the question I posed in my OP, though. Here it is again:

I would like to know how the experience of being "born again" has changed the way in which you interact with your fellow human beings, i.e. your fellow born-again Christians, all other Christians, non-Christians who are devout in their own beliefs, and non-religious or non-believing individuals?
The idea of being "born again" has not changed who I AM, nor has it altered my personality, behavior or the way I carry myself through life. It has not made me less-than or greater-than that which I am in the slightest. Now, if you are born with a certain temperament, you may experience a renewing of the mind and heart, especially - if your particular demeanor was less-than becoming, like that of an angry person. It's merely that of repenting and changing your thoughts, deeds and actions, when convicted by your own conscience. Innately, we know what is right from wrong, although we might not always make the best choice at a given moment in time for various reasons. Perhaps, it is a spiritual conviction for those who are more religious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 12:45 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
I have a question for those of you who identify as born-again Christians. I would like to know how the experience of being "born again" has changed the way in which you interact with your fellow human beings, i.e. your fellow born-again Christians, all other Christians, non-Christians who are devout in their own beliefs, and non-religious or non-believing individuals?

In your opinion, has being born again made you a better person, or does it just ensure your salvation?
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. I'm not finding any actual answers to the question I posed in my OP, though. Here it is again:

I would like to know how the experience of being "born again" has changed the way in which you interact with your fellow human beings, i.e. your fellow born-again Christians, all other Christians, non-Christians who are devout in their own beliefs, and non-religious or non-believing individuals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The idea of being "born again" has not changed who I AM, nor has it altered my personality, behavior or the way I carry myself through life. It has not made me less-than or greater-than that which I am in the slightest. Now, if you are born with a certain temperament, you may experience a renewing of the mind and heart, especially - if your particular demeanor was less-than becoming, like that of an angry person. It's merely that of repenting and changing your thoughts, deeds and actions, when convicted by your own conscience. Innately, we know what is right from wrong, although we might not always make the best choice at a given moment in time for various reasons. Perhaps, it is a spiritual conviction for those who are more religious?
I don’t consider myself born-again in the sense most Christians use the term, they seem to use it by identifying themselves as part of a congregation like a baptised Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc

My re-birth so to speak was when I separated from the limitations of the Pentecostal and understood that was just a part, and became a searcher/seeker for the higher

Joh 3:1**There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
Joh 3:2**The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
Joh 3:3**Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:4**Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Joh 3:5**Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:6**That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Joh 3:7**Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
Joh 3:8**The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Joh 3:9**Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
Joh 3:10**Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

Gal 3:26**For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27**For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:28**There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:29**And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Individually a better person? I’m not sure I am a good judge on that

Old 10-06-2021, 01:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
I have a question for those of you who identify as born-again Christians. I would like to know how the experience of being "born again" has changed the way in which you interact with your fellow human beings, i.e. your fellow born-again Christians, all other Christians, non-Christians who are devout in their own beliefs, and non-religious or non-believing individuals?

In your opinion, has being born again made you a better person, or does it just ensure your salvation?
Any Christian is "born again". That's what being a Christian means. So you might have a born-again Christian from every different denomination, but the terminology or understanding might be different.

I'd be curious to see really how you'd define it. Or what you mean by it. As per your exchange with Mike, it really can mean much different things to different people.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Any Christian is "born again". That's what being a Christian means. So you might have a born-again Christian from every different denomination, but the terminology or understanding might be different.

I'd be curious to see really how you'd define it. Or what you mean by it. As per your exchange with Mike, it really can mean much different things to different people.
Quite right BF

I see a religious birth where you are subjected to indoctrination, and are part of an organisation

The rebirth is after that religious birth

Christians are born a first time, then there is a re-birth

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-06-2021 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-06-2021, 01:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

I believe she was asking those who claim to be born again to define what that means to them?

Old 10-06-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Quite right BF

I see a religious birth where you are subjected to indoctrination, and are part of an organisation

The rebirth is after that religious birth

Christians are born a first time, then there is a re-birth
Yes. In that sense, John 1:12-13 says that we can become children of God by believing in Jesus. And in John 3, we have Jesus telling Nicodemus one has to be born again.

Old 10-06-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yes. In that sense, John 1:12-13 says that we can become children of God by believing in Jesus. And in John 3, we have Jesus telling Nicodemus one has to be born again.
I look at names as they have meaning
Pharisee
G5330***(Strong)
Φαρισαῖος
Pharisaios
far-is-ah'-yos
Of Hebrew origin (compare [H6567]); a separatist, that is, exclusively religious; a Pharisaean, that is, Jewish sectary: - Pharisee.

nicodemus
G3530***(Strong)
Νικόδημος
Nikodēmos
nik-od'-ay-mos
From G3534 and G1218; victorious among his people; Nicodemus, an Israelite: - Nicodemus.

And from revelation

Rev 2:6**But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Rev 2:7**He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Nicolatans
G3531***(Strong)
Νικολαΐ́της
Nikolaitēs
nik-ol-ah-ee'-tace
From G3532; a Nicolaite, that is, adherent of Nicolaus: - Nicolaitane.

From nicolaus

G3532***(Strong)
Νικόλαος
Nikolaos
nik-ol'-ah-os
From G3534 and G2004; victorious over the people; Nicolaus, a heretic: - Nicolaus.

James has things to say about the difference between the seeming to be religious and those that have God as their father

Jas 1:1**James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
Testing of Your Faith
Jas 1:2**My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Jas 1:3**Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Jas 1:16**Do not err, my beloved brethren.
Jas 1:17**Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
Jas 1:18**Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Jas 1:26**If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27**Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I look at names as they have meaning
Pharisee
G5330***(Strong)
Φαρισαῖος
Pharisaios
far-is-ah'-yos
Of Hebrew origin (compare [H6567]); a separatist, that is, exclusively religious; a Pharisaean, that is, Jewish sectary: - Pharisee.

nicodemus
G3530***(Strong)
Νικόδημος
Nikodēmos
nik-od'-ay-mos
From G3534 and G1218; victorious among his people; Nicodemus, an Israelite: - Nicodemus.

And from revelation

Rev 2:6**But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
Rev 2:7**He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Nicolatans
G3531***(Strong)
Νικολαΐ́της
Nikolaitēs
nik-ol-ah-ee'-tace
From G3532; a Nicolaite, that is, adherent of Nicolaus: - Nicolaitane.

From nicolaus

G3532***(Strong)
Νικόλαος
Nikolaos
nik-ol'-ah-os
From G3534 and G2004; victorious over the people; Nicolaus, a heretic: - Nicolaus.

James has things to say about the difference between the seeming to be religious and those that have God as their father

Jas 1:1**James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
Testing of Your Faith
Jas 1:2**My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Jas 1:3**Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

Jas 1:16**Do not err, my beloved brethren.
Jas 1:17**Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
Jas 1:18**Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

Jas 1:26**If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jas 1:27**Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.
And you might be reading into it what isn't intended to be there.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
And you might be reading into it what isn't intended to be there.
Could be lol

I don’t post from a position of teacher, merely to explore and learn myself

Old 10-06-2021, 02:39 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:

For me, it involves a change in the way we look at our fellow human beings and a strong desire to live as Jesus taught us to live. In The Book of Mormon it's described as something that takes place when the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, "has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually." The actual words "born again" (according to Mormon doctrine) mean to be "born of God, changed from [a] carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters." In a nutshell, it means having the genuine desire to learn to love as God loves and to have a heartfelt desire to obey the what Jesus called the greatest commandment -- to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind and the second one as well -- to love thy neighbour as thyself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity