Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 06:49 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
How does the supernatural fly in the face of what we do know?

Also, your view that God's justice in sentencing unbelievers to eternal separation makes him evil is also only your opinion.
I love how you are questioning Mystic here. If I may tho, what do you think about how throughout human history things that were attributed to other wordly turned out to have naturalistic explanations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 06:52 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
How does the supernatural fly in the face of what we do know?
Not worth debating.
Quote:
Also, your view that God's justice in sentencing unbelievers to eternal separation makes him evil is also only your opinion.
How you can reconcile such evil with the agape love and forgiveness revealed by Jesus Christ as God on the Cross is beyond my ken!!! It is not remotely logical or rational. The interpretation of God's reaction to a single act of disobedience by His newly created children is equally preposterous. None of it is rational or logical or understandable.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:30 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I love how you are questioning Mystic here. If I may tho, what do you think about how throughout human history things that were attributed to other wordly turned out to have naturalistic explanations?
That is true enough. Many things once thought to be supernatural did turn out to have naturalistic explanations. However, an exception are the naturalistic explanations concerning the resurrection of Jesus which have been shown to not have the explanatory scope or power to explain the resurrection and those naturalistic explanations are mostly dismissed by scholars, even the skeptical scholars who say they can't explain the resurrection even though they don't accept it as a fact.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not worth debating.
I'll take that as meaning you can't answer it.
Quote:
How you can reconcile such evil with the agape love and forgiveness revealed by Jesus Christ as God on the Cross is beyond my ken!!! It is not remotely logical or rational. The interpretation of God's reaction to a single act of disobedience by His newly created children is equally preposterous. None of it is rational or logical or understandable.
I've pointed out before, for all the good it did, that the issue isn't sin because Jesus paid the penalty for every sin that will ever be committed in the human race throughout human history. The issue is whether or not a person will simply place his faith or trust in Jesus for eternal life.

If a person doesn't trust in Jesus for eternal life he never receives the imputation of the perfect righteousness of Jesus and therefore has only his imperfect righteousness to stand on at the great white throne judgment. Man's imperfect and relative human righteousness has no compatibility with the perfect and absolute righteousness of God and therefore cannot have an eternal relationship with God. Therefore he will spend the eternal future spiritually separated from God. That doesn't necessarily mean burning in fire or whatever other tortures you imagine eternal punishment to mean. The essence of eternal punishment is separation from God. Nothing evil about it.

Jesus came the first time, not to judge but to go to the cross and die for our sins. But when he comes again it will be to judge. Everything in its own time.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

I've pointed out before, for all the good it did, that the issue isn't sin because Jesus paid the penalty for every sin that will ever be committed in the human race throughout human history. The issue is whether or not a person will simply place his faith or trust in Jesus for eternal life.

If a person doesn't trust in Jesus for eternal life he never receives the imputation of the perfect righteousness of Jesus and therefore has only his imperfect righteousness to stand on at the great white throne judgment. Man's imperfect and relative human righteousness has no compatibility with the perfect and absolute righteousness of God and therefore cannot have an eternal relationship with God. Therefore he will spend the eternal future spiritually separated from God. That doesn't necessarily mean burning in fire or whatever other tortures you imagine eternal punishment to mean. The essence of eternal punishment is separation from God. Nothing evil about it.

Jesus came the first time, not to judge but to go to the cross and die for our sins. But when he comes again it will be to judge. Everything in its own time.
Isn't this based upon a belief? If so, then I will believe that he is not only able, but will also reconcile all of humanity, not just a few that call themselves the elect.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Isn't this based upon a belief? If so, then I will believe that he is not only able, but will also reconcile all of humanity, not just a few that call themselves the elect.
It's based on trusting that the biblical writers knew what they were talking about.

Old 10-07-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
As you wish, Michael. I am convinced you simply do not have the requisite knowledge to engage the subject rigorously.
Quote:
I know it isn't sin because Jesus said God is not counting our sins against us. You keep thinking that faith in Jesus is a condition of our salvation, Michael, but it is actually a promise that we can have faith in because it is TRUE! His perfection (Grace) WILL COVER our imperfections. That IS the Good News of the Gospel.

However, what we have built or not built on that foundation of agape love and forgiveness WILL MATTER to us. So, while our works have no effect on our salvation because Jesus did that and it is finished, our works will determine what we face when we are "born again" as Spirits after our death. You really should be concerned about that, Michael.

Old 10-07-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
As you wish, Michael. I am convinced you simply do not have the requisite knowledge to engage the subject rigorously.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
It's based on trusting that the biblical writers knew what they were talking about.
Given the track record of human writers (especially early primitive ones) that does seem a rather precarious assumption, Michael.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:32 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
...I know it isn't sin because Jesus said God is not counting our sins against us...
You're referring to 1 Corinthians 5:19?

Why do you presume that Paul is talking about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity