Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 03:11 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
As long as you agree this applies to you also. You’re a Catholic-I’m a Baptist. I think we both believe our church interprets scripture correctly.
It's not about believing who interprets correctly.

It's about authority. It's about who has the *authority* to authoritatively interpret - to authoritatively declare that "this is what Scripture means".

As far as I know, the Baptist church does not claim to possess this authority.

The Catholic Church however, does claim to have been endowed by Christ with this Authority. That Authority is exercised through what we call the Magisterium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 03:56 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

It's about authority. It's about who has the *authority* to authoritatively interpret - to authoritatively declare that "this is what Scripture means".

The Catholic Church however, does claim to have been endowed by Christ with this Authority. That Authority is exercised through what we call the Magisterium.
Whether your last statement is true or not is why we have other denominations.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Whether your last statement is true or not is why we have other denominations.
Indeed. It's a pretty important question if you ask me - critical in fact.

There's an active thread dealing with that particular topic.

Old 10-13-2021, 05:02 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times
Quote:
The Ethiopian eunuch was reading Scripture too - a noble thing. You may not be a legalist or a Calvinist, but everyone has their own personal biases and presuppositions through which they filter and interpret the words of Scripture.

Who is qualified to authoritatively interpret the Scriptures?

Acts 8:30-31 "Then Philip ran up to the chariot and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. 'Do you understand what you are reading?' Philip asked. 'How can I,' he said, 'unless someone explains it to me?' So he invited Philip to come up and sit with him."
Let's compare with other scriptures.

John 6:44-45:

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

1 John 2:27:

But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Matt 16:17:

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Acts 16:14:

And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

From the scriptures I posted, it couldn't be clearer: ye need not that any man teach you, and they shall all be taught of God.

Now, what's the significance of Acts 8? This is a eunuch - i.e., one who is cut off.

Isaiah 56:3-5:

3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

And Romans 11:22:

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

And Deut 23:1:

He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

And Matt 24:50-51:

50 The lord of that servant [doulou = slave] shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

And John 15:6:

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

(Anyone who has eyes to see and ears to hear should figure out in what sense one may be "cut off" or "cut asunder" or "cast forth" or become a "castaway" per 1 Cor 9:27 - weeping and gnashing of teeth does not refer to the lake of fire, but the judgment seat of Christ, and the reward, whether obtained or lost. See also Luke 15:11-32, which describes the very same thing between the younger and older son. Everyone knows the prodigal son, but does anyone remember the elder son, of whom it is said by the father, "all that I have is thine"? So eternal security is the truth, and everything else opposed to it is a lie, including Catholic teachings)

As Jesus says (Matt 10:17)

But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues

Now, this becomes a bit clearer in the KJV, where Acts 8:31 is rendered: And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me?

I conclude, therefore, the following: the significance of the eunuch's saying is that the cut off ones, while born again as the eunuch clearly was, rely too much on men and the teachings of men, and for this reason are cut off, or lose their reward yet are saved, yet so as by fire (1 Cor 3:14-15). The eunuch is a spiritual concept, so we should expect this spiritual meaning to be present in the account of eunuch in Acts 8.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:46 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,500 times
Quote:

Ditto, of course, for the Eastern Orthodox Church. I undertook my extensive studies with no preconceived notions - a background in Southern Baptism and absolutely no knowledge of Eastern Orthodoxy. I barely knew the Eastern Orthodox Church existed before I met my Russian wife, and she thought they were a godless fraud. I am now convinced the Eastern Orthodox have the strongest historical claim to being the one authoritative church as well as the most sound theology.

My wife, who arrived as a devout Baptist with no use for the Russian Orthodox Church (for some pretty good reasons), has now come full-circle. She is astonished at the depth of Orthodox theology and spends vast amounts of time watching Orthodox theologians on YouTube.

It's all been so odd and unlikely that I sometimes wonder if God used my wife to pique my interest in Eastern Orthodoxy - I undertook my studies only because she was so negative - and then me to open her eyes.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Ditto, of course, for the Eastern Orthodox Church. I undertook my extensive studies with no preconceived notions - a background in Southern Baptism and absolutely no knowledge of Eastern Orthodoxy. I barely knew the Eastern Orthodox Church existed before I met my Russian wife, and she thought they were a godless fraud. I am now convinced the Eastern Orthodox have the strongest historical claim to being the one authoritative church as well as the most sound theology.

My wife, who arrived as a devout Baptist with no use for the Russian Orthodox Church (for some pretty good reasons), has now come full-circle. She is astonished at the depth of Orthodox theology and spends vast amounts of time watching Orthodox theologians on YouTube.

It's all been so odd and unlikely that I sometimes wonder if God used my wife to pique my interest in Eastern Orthodoxy - I undertook my studies only because she was so negative - and then me to open her eyes.
Thanks for sharing, and I've very much enjoyed reading your posts.

The story of you and your wife is a perfect example of how marriage truly can be sacramental.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

The Church is not the end-all-of one's understanding, neither is the POPE.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:25 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Church is not the end-all-of one's understanding, neither is the POPE.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:35 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,362,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormons actually believe in being "born again," too, but like you, we don't see it as an automatic ticket to heaven. What I don't understand from your statement ("All baptized believers are born again.") is how it is possible for a baptized baby to be a believer. What if the baby is baptized and then grows up to be an unbeliever. Would you consider him to be born again by virtue of his baptism or is baptism just a sacrament that you believe to be essential to salvation? In other words, are belief and baptism actually tied together in some way or not?

I can go along with that. Personally, I believe that belief in Christ and repentance for one's past sins is a pre-requisite for baptism, and of course this is impossible for an infant.

So what exactly do you believe it means to be born again, since you obviously don't see it the way either Protestants or Mormons do? I mean what does being born again accomplish if it doesn't involve an act of faith or a change in heart on the part of the recipient? Certainly it can't impact the way the person treats his fellow human beings. I'm just trying to understand the sequence of events in the life of a "born again" person who is baptized at a few days old.
Same can be said for adults who get baptized. What happens after their adult baptism and they later become an unbeliever. The only difference is that the older personal chose to be baptized and the baby had no choice. But the baby grows up to be an adult so if they remain the same religion, then they consent to it. That is what Confirmation is in the Catholic religion. It means we are still on board at 13 years old, the same age a boy is a man in Judaism.

I know a few born again Christians. I have also had quire a few try to convert me in my lifetime. My observations of them are that they nearly all hit rock bottom at some times, usually because of drugs. They all say that while hitting rock bottom that Jesus came to them to turn their life around, which I am not so sure is reality but could most likely be part of their drug induced trip. They are not very holy in that they still drink excessively, don’t tell a cashier if they received more money in error, take advantage of broken vending machines, etc. One told me that they cannot have any alcohol at all. When I pointed out that Jesus drank wine at the last supper, he said that “everyone knows that he drank in fermented grapes. He said I was going to hell when I went to my catholics confession. They all say we are going to hell if we do not turn ourselves over to their religion. At least, this is based on every one I knew. I think they are nuts for the most part. If not, I am going to hell.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:52 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Same can be said for adults who get baptized. What happens after their adult baptism and they later become an unbeliever. The only difference is that the older personal chose to be baptized and the baby had no choice. But the baby grows up to be an adult so if they remain the same religion, then they consent to it. That is what Confirmation is in the Catholic religion. It means we are still on board at 13 years old, the same age a boy is a man in Judaism.

I know a few born again Christians. I have also had quire a few try to convert me in my lifetime. My observations of them are that they nearly all hit rock bottom at some times, usually because of drugs. They all say that while hitting rock bottom that Jesus came to them to turn their life around, which I am not so sure is reality but could most likely be part of their drug induced trip. They are not very holy in that they still drink excessively, don’t tell a cashier if they received more money in error, take advantage of broken vending machines, etc. One told me that they cannot have any alcohol at all. When I pointed out that Jesus drank wine at the last supper, he said that “everyone knows that he drank in fermented grapes. He said I was going to hell when I went to my catholics confession. They all say we are going to hell if we do not turn ourselves over to their religion. At least, this is based on every one I knew. I think they are nuts for the most part. If not, I am going to hell.
It does take a bit of nutso to think you can be "born again" before your first birth and life have ended, especially with 1st Corinthians 15:35-36..

1 Corinthians 15:35-36 King James Version
35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity