Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 03:13 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
This is just opinion, not any sort of solid reasoning. In addition, the Bible doesn’t support this idea. Believers are warned about falling away . Church leaders are counseled on how to deal with sinning Christians so that the Christians don’t get discouraged and leave the faith . There is nothing in the Bible to support this belief . It is just a personal opinion without much to support it .
It's absolutely just an opinion, but don't try to talk sense to people who think this way. It's a waste of your time. As long as there are people out there who are of the opinion that unless your beliefs and experiences are the same as theirs, they're invalid, Christianity will continue to be fraught with contention and discord. No matter what we believe, such things are not of Christ at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 03:47 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
To each his own, huh, Mystic? As if anybody on this forum has the right to declare anybody else a "non-Christian." Honestly, if that's not the most un-Christian behavior imaginable, I don't know what is. Oh, well... I guess it takes all kinds.
Indeed it does seem to, Katz.

Old 10-30-2021, 03:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Precisely! Who is to say that someone else's "genuine encounter with God" was legitimate or not? And for someone who claims to have had such an encounter to belittle someone else's is, frankly, inexcusable.

I agree for the most part. (can't rep you again so soon.)

Old 10-30-2021, 04:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
I am so glad that as a Catholic, I was married to a Protestant for many years (he died in 2020). He was a good man, a GREAT man in fact. He wasn't Catholic, but I have no doubt that he's with God now. I mean, zero doubts. He had a simple sort of faith - he wasn't one to study excessively or parse phrases or look at the original languages or whatever - he believed in God and accepted Jesus Christ and I know that he loved Jesus. That's about it.

I'm so thankful that a few weeks before he died, he and I sat out on the back patio, looking out across our beautiful back yard, and he and I talked about God and the afterlife, and he said "I hope I'm a good man," and I said, "Honey, you ARE a good man. God loves you so much." I meant that and yet when I said it I had no idea how much portent those words would have in a few weeks.

He had been married and divorced several times before I met him and married him. When I went to confession after he died, I said "I think I've only committed one mortal sin and that is the one sin I don't even feel guilty about." (Marrying my husband.) The priest didn't even give me any sort of penance. Maybe he felt sorry for me, who knows. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The point I am making is that my husband didn't look like the typical "Christian." He didn't act like one - he was rough around the edges and worked in the oil and gas industry and one time he left his phone on accidentally when he was on a job site and I didn't even recognize his words as coming out of his mouth - he sounded so different! But he was a TERRIFIC man and a wonderful husband and father and a blessed child of God.

Living with him and going through losing him to death was a fantastic experience for me in my faith walk. And I am so grateful that God allowed me to return to the Church and experience all that forgiveness and the sense of "coming home" after being with that beautiful man for 15 years. I wouldn't recommend that necessarily but God knew what I needed.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:09 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
To each his own, huh, Mystic? As if anybody on this forum has the right to declare anybody else a "non-Christian." Honestly, if that's not the most un-Christian behavior imaginable, I don't know what is. Oh, well... I guess it takes all kinds.
Not only does Mystic declare others non-Christian, he also declares certain non-Christians ignorant, primitive, and barbaric in their beliefs. What a wonderful display of agape love for others.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:16 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am so glad that as a Catholic, I was married to a Protestant for many years (he died in 2020). He was a good man, a GREAT man in fact. He wasn't Catholic, but I have no doubt that he's with God now. I mean, zero doubts. He had a simple sort of faith - he wasn't one to study excessively or parse phrases or look at the original languages or whatever - he believed in God and accepted Jesus Christ and I know that he loved Jesus. That's about it.

I'm so thankful that a few weeks before he died, he and I sat out on the back patio, looking out across our beautiful back yard, and he and I talked about God and the afterlife, and he said "I hope I'm a good man," and I said, "Honey, you ARE a good man. God loves you so much." I meant that and yet when I said it I had no idea how much portent those words would have in a few weeks.

He had been married and divorced several times before I met him and married him. When I went to confession after he died, I said "I think I've only committed one mortal sin and that is the one sin I don't even feel guilty about." (Marrying my husband.) The priest didn't even give me any sort of penance. Maybe he felt sorry for me, who knows. Anyway, it doesn't matter. The point I am making is that my husband didn't look like the typical "Christian." He didn't act like one - he was rough around the edges and worked in the oil and gas industry and one time he left his phone on accidentally when he was on a job site and I didn't even recognize his words as coming out of his mouth - he sounded so different! But he was a TERRIFIC man and a wonderful husband and father and a blessed child of God.

Living with him and going through losing him to death was a fantastic experience for me in my faith walk. And I am so grateful that God allowed me to return to the Church and experience all that forgiveness and the sense of "coming home" after being with that beautiful man for 15 years. I wouldn't recommend that necessarily but God knew what I needed.
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, Kathryn. You used to say you were the most spoiled woman on earth (a point which I always disputed, since I know I am). Was this the wonderful man who used to spoil you so?

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-30-2021 at 04:26 PM..

Old 10-30-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Not only does Mystic declare others non-Christian, he also declares certain non-Christians ignorant, primitive, and barbaric in their beliefs. What a wonderful display of agape love for others.
I do none of that. Why is it so difficult for people to separate themselves from our very primitive and barbaric forebears who are the only ones I call primitive and barbaric along with their beliefs about a wrathful God? You do not somehow become primitive and barbaric simply because you accept their beliefs as a sign of faith in God.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:52 PM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I do none of that. Why is it so difficult for people to separate themselves from our very primitive and barbaric forebears who are the only ones I call primitive and barbaric along with their beliefs about a wrathful God? You do not somehow become primitive and barbaric simply because you accept their beliefs as a sign of faith in God.
Some non-Christian religions still follow beliefs and practices originated by those "ignorant and primitive forebears"; thus referring to those beliefs as primitive and barbaric is just a tad insulting. And it is the beliefs to which I referred, not the people. BTW, you often gaslight in this manner when called out, IMHO. It's disingenuous to say someone misunderstood what you said when you specifically said that exact thing, and said it repeatedly.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post

Some non-Christian religions still follow beliefs and practices originated by those "ignorant and primitive forebears"; thus referring to those beliefs as primitive and barbaric is just a tad insulting. And it is the beliefs to which I referred, not the people. BTW, you often gaslight in this manner when called out, IMHO. It's disingenuous to say someone misunderstood what you said when you specifically said that exact thing, and said it repeatedly.
See the bold in my post above.

Old 10-30-2021, 05:08 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
The essential of a Christian or any person of faith, is between him and God. We have plenty of instruction on the how... it's the what I'm interested in. The evidence is what we are to judge, you know.... the fruit of the tree, not the person.

So am I talking works? nope. In fact it may be true to say... the more sufferings and hardship one faces, this maybe the evidence of evil at work to destroy the good. What is evil to gain by attacking evil? So if you never face a test, a trial, or a circumstance where those two little guys on each shoulder aren't arguing and yelling at you, maybe, just maybe you represent a low score victory for evil?

I though Job was a pretty good example. Yep... I'm going with Job. I like his essence and he wasn't a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity