Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 06:47 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Does it matter? The lessons of Job stand regardless.

I was surprised to learn that Christians, even fundamentalist ones, believed that Job was real and the events in the book of Job were believed to have taken place. It is not necessary to think that to meditate on the meaning.
James seems to be saying Job was a real man.

“You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about.” —James 5:11

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 07:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post
Lest anyone miss the humor here, Katzpur believes the unstated theme of every one of Irkle's posts is "I hate Mormons" - which doesn't stop her from following him like a dutiful puppy. The humor is how quickly her façade of "Christian niceness" crumbles. In their own weird way, Katzpur and Mystic are two peas in a pod - legends of "Christian niceness" in their own minds, but alas only in their own minds. Mainstream Christian theology tends to bring out their ugly side.
We're all have flesh... dontcha know and judgement is reserved for He who has the wisdom.

Old 10-31-2021, 08:33 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
James seems to be saying Job was a real man.

“You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about.” —James 5:11

I don't see that. We speak of, for example, Greek mythological or Shakespearean characters as references that people in our culture will understand. I don't believe the Job story actually happened, yet I would refer to Job as James did.

Of course, James may very well have believed the story was an actual occurrence. I'm just saying it's not necessary to believe that it was in order to discuss or understand the point of it.

Old 10-31-2021, 10:29 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Believing or not believing Job was 'real', has ZERO value ZERO impact towards salvation.

However, stirring up angst towards others might be a lack of consideration (love) towards another believer. There's a balance between iron upon iron and foolish controversies.

Where salvation is the topic between believers, a hearty robust discussion is appropriate, but for something that is a teaching lesson or subjective... what good does it do to kick the hornets nest? Would the kicker expect the hornets to sting or retreat with their stinger between their legs?

Choice A would be my response.

Old 10-31-2021, 11:22 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't see that. We speak of, for example, Greek mythological or Shakespearean characters as references that people in our culture will understand. I don't believe the Job story actually happened, yet I would refer to Job as James did.

Of course, James may very well have believed the story was an actual occurrence. I'm just saying it's not necessary to believe that it was in order to discuss or understand the point of it.
It makes no sense that Job was supposedly a fable character, but God brought about goodness in his life, unless you believe God is just a character in the story, also.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
It makes no sense that Job was supposedly a fable character, but God brought about goodness in his life, unless you believe God is just a character in the story, also.
It just shows that most of Christianism, cannot distinguish the differences between that of a creative story for "why bad things happen to good people" - from that of reality. It was their way of trying to comprehend or understand things - given their mindset of good and evil. Much like the fable of Sodom and Gomorrah, the Rich man and Lazarus, and many others which have been written and then, twisted out of proportion or perspective by many Christians throughout the ages, while missing the mark altogether.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:24 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
The only things that MUST be factual in the Christian narrative are that Jesus is God in the flesh and His sacrifice on the Cross saved us from permanent separation from God. WHY you believe this is NOT the important part of the Christian faith. This faith should encourage you to seek righteousness, love God and each other every day, and repent when you fail. Everything else is a prologue.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:46 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
That doesn’t follow

The principles, morals contained within the stories, narratives have a point and purpose and are there as teaching aids for students and children

This is what 1 Timothy is telling us

Warning Against False Teachers
1Ti 1:4**Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
1Ti 1:5**Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
1Ti 1:6**From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;

We can get turned aside into debates about words and stories instead of focusing on the essentials

The word for fable has the idea of tuition

G3454***(Strong)
μῦθος
muthos
moo'-thos
Perhaps from the same as G3453 (through the idea of tuition); a tale, that is, fiction (“myth”): - fable.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Believing or not believing Job was 'real', has ZERO value ZERO impact towards salvation.

However, stirring up angst towards others might be a lack of consideration (love) towards another believer. There's a balance between iron upon iron and foolish controversies.

Where salvation is the topic between believers, a hearty robust discussion is appropriate, but for something that is a teaching lesson or subjective... what good does it do to kick the hornets nest? Would the kicker expect the hornets to sting or retreat with their stinger between their legs?

Choice A would be my response.
Re the bolded--Exactly.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I think it does. The lesson is there for the rest of us, whether the events occurred or not. Bad stuff happens to even the most upright of people*, but accept that it is God's will and strive to keep faith and patience.

At which I am currently failing miserably, so maybe I will give it a reread

*Not including myself in that club, trust me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity