Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 01:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss, Kathryn. You used to say you were the most spoiled woman on earth (a point which I always disputed, since I know I am). Was this the wonderful man who used to spoil you so?
Yes, he spoiled me rotten and I adored him. He was just TERRIFIC. I miss him. He'll be a hard act for anyone to follow and so I am just not looking. If God wants to bring someone into my life, He is going to have to make me practically trip over them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 01:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, he spoiled me rotten and I adored him. He was just TERRIFIC. I miss him. He'll be a hard act for anyone to follow and so I am just not looking. If God wants to bring someone into my life, He is going to have to make me practically trip over them.
I can relate to this, although it was my wife.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:23 PM

1,161 posts, read 467,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
This is true. No need to complicate the issue. Anyone who has trusted in Jesus Christ for salvation in response to the gospel message is a Christian. . . has been born again . . . has been eternally saved from the penalty of sin.
As you persistently do, you miss the point. Christian conversion is an EXTREMELY uncomplicated matter. Nothing in any of my posts has suggested otherwise. It IS, however, a matter of a genuine call by God, conviction by the Holy Spirit, and a Spirit-assisted response from the very core of the individual. Since you are the individual referenced in my original post who insisted there is no substantive difference between the everyday "faith" of stepping onto a ladder and the faith of responding to the Gospel, I suspect you don't grasp the point I'm making. Your notion of Christianity strikes me in several respects as what I might call "mechanical" - you do this, then God does that, then this happens. As I recall, you're also the one who insists there is no notion of repentance when a Christian stumbles - it's just a matter of confessing the stumble and continuing on your merry way. As I said, mechanical. My understanding of Christianity is not that it's complex but that it's ANYTHING BUT mechanical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Katzpur is a legend of Christian niceness in about 99% of the posters minds here, I would guess. Her and MissHepburn are in my humble opinion the two nicest posters in the R&S area. As I have related before, I watched Katzpur take abuse in a 200+ post thread from a number of Mormon baiters ( 4 or 5) and never respond in a mean or unkind way. That particular thread was finally shut down by the mods due to the abuse heaped on her , and she never went after any of them in return.

You, on the other hand...seem to be one of the one or two most similar to Mystic , highly impressed by your belief in your own brilliance
Irkle makes no pretense of niceness or humility. He's an in-your-face, take-no-prisoners Christian. Irkle is, however, (1) quite brilliant, according to all criteria by which intelligence is measured, and (2) an absolute psychic insofar as recognizing BS.

Moderator cut: Personal attacks, rudeness, and snarky remarks removed.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-01-2021 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Removing insults.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:28 PM

Hey, on topic here:

Our homily was on exactly this, this morning. What is the MAIN COMMANDMENT TO FOLLOW? was the question the scribes and Pharisees gave to Jesus once, and Jesus said "Love God with all your heart and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself," (which is really two commandments but I digress).

The priest's take on it was tied to his work with teenagers. He said that so many of them, most of them really, have no experience to pull their beliefs from, so if you ask a kid "What is love?" they may say something like "Ummm, somebody that I hug?" But he went on to discuss how the depth of our love for others will be manifest in our works - for instance, he gave the example of a priest who is currently trying to get Christians out of Afghanistan. This man's love is very, very deep, and has nothing to do with hugging anyone - LOL. It was just an interesting homily in part because of this thread.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I can relate to this, although it was my wife.
I am so, so sorry. It's sure difficult to go on sometimes, isn't it?

Old 10-31-2021, 01:30 PM

1,799 posts, read 563,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irkle Berserkle View Post

Irkle makes no pretense of niceness or humility. He's an in-your-face, take-no-prisoners Christian. Irkle is, however, (1) quite brilliant, according to all criteria by which intelligence is measured, and (2) an absolute psychic insofar as recognizing BS.

Moderator cut: Personal attacks, rudeness, and snarky remarks removed.

Honestly, I wouldnt fear debating you any. I have seen no brilliance myself. Good posts, yes. The ability to "shred" people, well, I would say there that you are a legend in your own mind.

Think what you want about Katzpur. About 99% of the board would disagree with you, so perhaps your BS meter is broken.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-01-2021 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:50 PM

Can we please get back to the topic at hand, or quit posting? Thank you in advance.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am so, so sorry. It's sure difficult to go on sometimes, isn't it?
Life is good, although it did take some time. And my daughters kept me grounded through loving them.

Old 10-31-2021, 01:58 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
My point was simply that Katzpur and Mystic portray their Christianity as being of the "sweetness and light" variety but rather quickly descend into snarkiness and worse when their buttons are pushed.
Oddly, you seem to judge everyone by the loving attributes evinced by Christ while revering His Father who you for some reason do not believe has those attributes. Neither Katz nor I claim or pretend to be Christ so your focus on our failure to meet His standards is hardly reasonable. That we try to love God and each other every day and repent when we fail should suffice.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-31-2021 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-31-2021, 01:59 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
As you persistently do, you miss the point. Christian conversion is an EXTREMELY uncomplicated matter. Nothing in any of my posts has suggested otherwise. It IS, however, a matter of a genuine call by God, conviction by the Holy Spirit, and a Spirit-assisted response from the very core of the individual. Since you are the individual referenced in my original post who insisted there is no substantive difference between the everyday "faith" of stepping onto a ladder and the faith of responding to the Gospel, I suspect you don't grasp the point I'm making. Your notion of Christianity strikes me in several respects as what I might call "mechanical" - you do this, then God does that, then this happens. As I recall, you're also the one who insists there is no notion of repentance when a Christian stumbles - it's just a matter of confessing the stumble and continuing on your merry way. As I said, mechanical. My understanding of Christianity is not that it's complex but that it's ANYTHING BUT mechanical.
I haven't missed the point. As I've always said, when the unbeliever hears the gospel message, the Holy Spirit makes the gospel understandable to him and under his ministry of common grace convicts that person of the sin of unbelief, of righteousness, and of judgment as per John 16:8-11.

I have also never said that the believer shouldn't repent. But it isn't repentance that brings forgiveness of a sin. The believer simply needs to confess or name the sin to God for it to be forgiven as per 1 John 1:9.
Quote:
Then how come you can't recognize your own BS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity