Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 07:16 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It doesn't. It just serves as a powerful piece of evidence that "sola scriptura" is a self-defeating proposition as it could not have possibly been normative or practical for the vast majority of Christian history.
Completely different topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2021, 07:31 PM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What does that have to do with whether the Bible is God-breathed?
It was a reply to a question from BF asking why people bothered with this type of not literal Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've asked this before...but its an honest question. Why bother even giving lip service to Christianity if one rejects the Scriptures?

Would you care to answer how Christianity managed for 1500 plus years without everyone sitting in the pew with their Bible?

Old 11-21-2021, 08:16 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've brought that up here before and was told that I was wrong. I realized there was no point in continuing the conversation.

Funny, I was listening to a radio talk show about technology's impact on history while I was driving, and the interviewee mentioned the printing press, which enabled the common person to be able to read the Bible without a priest telling them what they said, and how the Church hated it and tried to ban it as evil until they realized they could use the press to print indulgences. But THEN, Martin Luther realized HE could use a printed document for his purposes...and oh what a mess it made, giving the ability to have printed material to so many common people...
hmmm, kinda the same as 'the internet' of these days has made people so much more holy....

Old 11-21-2021, 10:39 PM

166 posts, read 156,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
It was a reply to a question from BF asking why people bothered with this type of not literal Christianity.

Would you care to answer how Christianity managed for 1500 plus years without everyone sitting in the pew with their Bible?
Not to be picky but Christianity is a secular term. Meaning a term created by the world yet not found in the gospel.
Christians will always will be known for sitting in pews/chairs with their bibles/computers.

Old 11-22-2021, 04:51 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
Not to be picky but Christianity is a secular term. Meaning a term created by the world yet not found in the gospel.
Christians will always will be known for sitting in pews/chairs with their bibles/computers.
When I left the Baptist’s and stopped in at the RCC , with my Bible in hand, no one else had a Bible . Neither did the Eastern Orthodox I spent 2 years with . Neither did the Anglicans I spent a year with .

People sitting in the pews with their Bibles open passively following the droning of a preacher is a Protestant thing. Most of Christianity actively participate in some form of liturgy throughout the service .

What’s funny is I heard more Scripture read in these churches than the Baptist ones . An OT passage, a NT passage that was non Gospel, and a Gospel passage . Every service . The preaching was better also, which actually surprised me .

Old 11-22-2021, 05:21 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
When I left the Baptist’s and stopped in at the RCC , with my Bible in hand, no one else had a Bible . Neither did the Eastern Orthodox I spent 2 years with . Neither did the Anglicans I spent a year with .

People sitting in the pews with their Bibles open passively following the droning of a preacher is a Protestant thing. Most of Christianity actively participate in some form of liturgy throughout the service .

What’s funny is I heard more Scripture read in these churches than the Baptist ones . An OT passage, a NT passage that was non Gospel, and a Gospel passage . Every service . The preaching was better also, which actually surprised me .
We have our Bibles open so we can make sure our pastor is preaching the scripture and not some other gospel.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:38 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
We have our Bibles open so we can make sure our pastor is preaching the scripture and not some other gospel.
Same here. Even the best can lead us astray.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:48 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well how do you decide which scripture is or is not?

Now before you answer i want you to think about the book of Job and everything Jobs 3 friends said.

Was what they said literally God breathed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
Yes, o.k all scripture is god breathed. It means the holy spirit, the helper, aka God himself (in 3 persons) comes into the Christian's Soul making it eternal and eternally connected to the Father. No more estrangement.
So are you saying what jobs 3 friends said literally God breathed?

Old 11-22-2021, 06:07 AM

88,619 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:

Yup. When I was in the Reformed Church, the pastor droned on and on and on over some verse or two teased out of context with a theme usually centered on dark warnings about how sinful we all are.

The Episcopal Church follows more or less the same liturgical calendar as the RCC, so at every service/mass there is read an Old Testament passage, a Psalm, an Epistle (or something other than the Gospel in the New Testament) and the Gospel reading.

The challenge for the priest is to try to find a theme to tie them together for his sermon/homily. He or she is not always successful, but sometimes they are, amazingly so. I was fortunate enough that for five years I had a teaching priest, who would briefly give the context of when a passage was written and what it meant to those to whom it was written and then suggest how we could apply it to our own lives in a similar situation.

Old 11-22-2021, 06:09 AM

88,619 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Ha! Our priest once explained that the reason the Nicene Creed is recited right after the sermon is to remind the people what is the church's official stance, in case he happened to say anything contradictory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity