Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 05:55 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
"Christiania" is not the Greek word for "Christian", but is instead an old name for Oslo, Norway. The Greek word for "Christian" is Χριστιανός, or Christianos as transliterated into the Roman alphabet.
I am no Greek scholar. I doubt you are either. I depend upon the scholars who wrote Greek lexicons. It looks like you chose Thayer Lexicon, and I used Strong’s. Here is what they both say. I am not educated enough in Koine Greek to say one is right or wrong.

From Acts 11:26

◄ 5546. Christianos ►
Strong's Concordance
Christianos: a Christian
Original Word: Χριστιανός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: Christianos
Phonetic Spelling: (khris-tee-an-os')
Definition: a Christian
Usage: a Christian.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from Christos
Definition
a Christian
NASB Translation
Christian (2), Christians (1).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 5546: Χριστιανός

Χριστιανός (cf. Lightfoot on Philip., p. 16 note), Χριστιανου, ὁ (Χριστός), a Christian, a follower of Christ: Acts 11:26; Acts 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16. The name was first given to the worshippers of Jesus by the Gentiles, but from the second century (Justin Martyr (e. g. Apology 1, 4, p. 55 a.; dialog contra Trypho, § 35; cf. 'Teaching etc. 12, 4 [ET])) onward accepted by them as a title of honor. CL Lipsius, Ueber Ursprung u. ältesten Gebrauch des Christennamens. 4to, pp. 20, Jen. 1873. (CL Sophocles' Lexicon, under the word, 2; Farrar in Alex.'s Kitto, under the word; on the 'Titles of Believers in the N. T.' see Westcott, Epistles of St. John, p. 125f; cf. Dict. of Chris. Antiqq., under the word 'Faithful'.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 08:32 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I am no Greek scholar.
Since 'ALL scripture is God-Breathed', do you accept the Septuagint and all books therein contained?

Old 11-23-2021, 09:52 AM

166 posts, read 156,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
When I left the Baptist’s and stopped in at the RCC , with my Bible in hand, no one else had a Bible . Neither did the Eastern Orthodox I spent 2 years with . Neither did the Anglicans I spent a year with .

People sitting in the pews with their Bibles open passively following the droning of a preacher is a Protestant thing. Most of Christianity actively participate in some form of liturgy throughout the service .

What’s funny is I heard more Scripture read in these churches than the Baptist ones . An OT passage, a NT passage that was non Gospel, and a Gospel passage . Every service . The preaching was better also, which actually surprised me .
I am not up on these terms but assume RC= Roman catholic? Baptists, I really don't know much about them as I was not allowed to attend church growing up so my limited experience is with Non-Denominational churches. I was paid to take a lady to a RCC church for a month noticed they didn't have their bibles. It was also a re-run, a morbid re-hashing of Jesus death on the Cross every week. I am not even sure if they even go verse by verse thru a book of the bible or if they just cherry pick verses. They had a morbid facination With St. Peter despite Apostle Paul being the one who ushered in the New Covenant we live under. They were a pretty mixed up group. Also we are not allowed to call anyone father except our own Earthly and Heavely father. This is an exhaulted role no one should be self appointing themselves to.

Only Christians are interested in having their bibles with them at church. For me, I often do not bring it because the pews have a bible and my eye disorder makes it difficult to read anyhow. Audio is my preference which is the way I fall asleep each night. Listening to Audio bibles on you tube or sermons.

My experience is there are very few Christians in the world. And fewer Christian Churches as most are a very cheap knock off brand, so to speak. Some don't even believe in the Trinity but you cannot expect them to as the Holy Spirit needs to be inside you for this.

The best test is to bring a timer to church and see whether the Pastor feels as if he is an instrument for Gods word, or is he summarizing everything taking up most of the time for his own interests. Are their bible studies bible studies or is the bible a side accompanyment to another book? If so, it's not a bible study (though there can be good books out there)

A real bible believing church would be reading off out of the bible directly, at least 30 min of the Stint. Maybe a little less but the craving for the word, not a talking head, is akin to the craving for food. It needs to be satisfied for the Christian. I've found reformed churches seem to have a higher chance of being a Bible Believing Church than others.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:32 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
...........How does one decide which Scriptures are God-breathed and which are not?.
First, according to 2nd Timothy 3:16-17 ALL Scripture is inspired by God.
The ALL are the '66' established books of Bible canon in harmony with one another. Internal harmony among the writers.
This is why the apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the harmonious '66'.
They do Not have the corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages as the inspired '66' do.

Old 11-23-2021, 03:57 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
I am not up on these terms but assume RC= Roman catholic? Baptists, I really don't know much about them as I was not allowed to attend church growing up so my limited experience is with Non-Denominational churches. I was paid to take a lady to a RCC church for a month noticed they didn't have their bibles. It was also a re-run, a morbid re-hashing of Jesus death on the Cross every week. I am not even sure if they even go verse by verse thru a book of the bible or if they just cherry pick verses.

<snipped>
Yes, you can be sure, because that has been discussed in this thread. The liturgical churches--Catholic, Episcopal, Some Lutheran, others, read more scripture in their services than most other Protestant churches. Every service there are readings from the Old Testament, a Psalm, one of the Gospels, and another passage from the New Testament besides the Gospels. It's set up so that the entire Bible is read in church over a three-year cycle.

Also, putting on my mod red font for a moment here, please be advised that the rules of this forum, which is ABOUT CHRISTIANITY and not a "Christian Forum", forbid any poster to declare another person to not be a Christian or to accuse any denomination that considers itself Christian to not be Christian. You have not done that, but you're coming close.

ETA: And now that I've made you, we don't have to worry about that anymore.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-23-2021 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Dang, she had me. It's been a while since she's been back.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:58 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
The word Christian (Christiania in Greek) is from Scriptures. Christianity is a form of the word.

Acts 11:26-26
Then Barnabas departed for Tarsus to seek Saul. And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
"Christiania" is not the Greek word for "Christian", but is instead an old name for Oslo, Norway. The Greek word for "Christian" is Χριστιανός, or Christianos as transliterated into the Roman alphabet.
Quote:
I am no Greek scholar. I doubt you are either. I depend upon the scholars who wrote Greek lexicons. It looks like you chose Thayer Lexicon, and I used Strong’s. Here is what they both say. I am not educated enough in Koine Greek to say one is right or wrong.

From Acts 11:26

◄ 5546. Christianos ►
Strong's Concordance
Christianos: a Christian
Original Word: Χριστιανός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: Christianos
Phonetic Spelling: (khris-tee-an-os')
Definition: a Christian
Usage: a Christian.
NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from Christos
Definition
a Christian
NASB Translation
Christian (2), Christians (1).

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 5546: Χριστιανός

Χριστιανός (cf. Lightfoot on Philip., p. 16 note), Χριστιανου, ὁ (Χριστός), a Christian, a follower of Christ: Acts 11:26; Acts 26:28; 1 Peter 4:16. The name was first given to the worshippers of Jesus by the Gentiles, but from the second century (Justin Martyr (e. g. Apology 1, 4, p. 55 a.; dialog contra Trypho, § 35; cf. 'Teaching etc. 12, 4 [ET])) onward accepted by them as a title of honor. CL Lipsius, Ueber Ursprung u. ältesten Gebrauch des Christennamens. 4to, pp. 20, Jen. 1873. (CL Sophocles' Lexicon, under the word, 2; Farrar in Alex.'s Kitto, under the word; on the 'Titles of Believers in the N. T.' see Westcott, Epistles of St. John, p. 125f; cf. Dict. of Chris. Antiqq., under the word 'Faithful'.)
Neither Strong's or Thayer's says Christiania. The Greek Noun is Christianos. In Acts 11:26 the Accusative Masculine Plural form of the word is used -Χριστιανούς/Christianous/Christians.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, I didn't know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
First, according to 2nd Timothy 3:16-17 ALL Scripture is inspired by God.
The ALL are the '66' established books of Bible canon in harmony with one another. Internal harmony among the writers.
This is why the apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the harmonious '66'.
They do Not have the corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages as the inspired '66' do.
Good post Matthew 4:4! You nailed it.

Old 11-23-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Since 'ALL scripture is God-Breathed', do you accept the Septuagint and all books therein contained?
Honestly, I’m not familiar with it. I don’t know what’s in it. Sorry.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:55 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Honestly, I’m not familiar with it. I don’t know what’s in it. Sorry.
Thanks for honest answer.
Read up on it if you ever get a chance, as it's the Greek OT, and the NT writers quoted specifically from it (when quoting OT) more often than the Hebrew.

Here's a link that details some examples - scroll down to the 2nd table to see verses you'd be familiar with.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130319.../spexecsum.htm

Old 11-23-2021, 10:15 PM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Good post Matthew 4:4! You nailed it.
My post that you quoted had nothing to do with what Matthew 4:4 said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity