Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 07:25 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We have our Bibles open so we can make sure our pastor is preaching the scripture and not some other gospel.

Ahh, that brings back memories from my Southern Baptist days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 08:48 AM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
When I left the Baptist’s and stopped in at the RCC , with my Bible in hand, no one else had a Bible . Neither did the Eastern Orthodox I spent 2 years with . Neither did the Anglicans I spent a year with .

People sitting in the pews with their Bibles open passively following the droning of a preacher is a Protestant thing. Most of Christianity actively participate in some form of liturgy throughout the service .

What’s funny is I heard more Scripture read in these churches than the Baptist ones . An OT passage, a NT passage that was non Gospel, and a Gospel passage . Every service . The preaching was better also, which actually surprised me .
Yep - a large portion of the bible is covered over a 3-year cycle, so a faithful Catholic will have essentially have 'heard' the bible read thru about 15 times over their adult lifetime.

Also, the same readings/schedule is used in every Catholic church worldwide, so it's not up to the 'random discretion' of the local pastor - you can attend anywhere, and it will be the same mass, same readings.

However, different Hymns, and the homily will be unique to the local pastor/priest - which might be better at one parish versus another.
During covid when we were barred by civil authorities from attending locally in person, essentially every parish streamed mass online - it was interesting opportunity to me to 'tune in' to some far-off diverse parishes to join-in with them (under the circumstances) and appreciate their local differences.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:23 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Same here. Even the best can lead us astray.
Since there are like 10,000 different sects, including such things as the Prosperity Gospel, they already have

Old 11-22-2021, 11:40 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yep - a large portion of the bible is covered over a 3-year cycle, so a faithful Catholic will have essentially have 'heard' the bible read thru about 15 times over their adult lifetime.

Also, the same readings/schedule is used in every Catholic church worldwide, so it's not up to the 'random discretion' of the local pastor - you can attend anywhere, and it will be the same mass, same readings.

However, different Hymns, and the homily will be unique to the local pastor/priest - which might be better at one parish versus another.
During covid when we were barred by civil authorities from attending locally in person, essentially every parish streamed mass online - it was interesting opportunity to me to 'tune in' to some far-off diverse parishes to join-in with them (under the circumstances) and appreciate their local differences.

The best sermons I ever heard were from the Orthodox priest. He didn't preach AT you, it was more like a Sunday School teacher giving a lesson, or like sitting around your living room having a beer while listening to a very educated person tell you stuff about Christianity. No bombastic stuff, no pulpiteering, just a simple message. I said this to him one time and he laughed and shrugged his shoulders, and said the least important part of the service was his homily, so he didn't sweat it, just gave a talk. His main role was to lead the liturgy and conduct the Eucharist, so he didn't need to wow the crowd with a sensational sermon every week . He once said that if he found out a tornado was on the way and he needed to cut the service short , he would skip the homily. In the EO the priest isn't the show, the liturgy and the Eucharist are the show. In evangelical Protestantism the sermon is the show. Evangelicals like to think they truly worship, but in fact they sing a few hymns and then listen to the preacher earn his salary by trying to preach a sensational sermon. In an EO church the entire liturgy is one long worship session of God .

Old 11-22-2021, 11:49 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
The best sermons I ever heard were from the Orthodox priest. He didn't preach AT you, it was more like a Sunday School teacher giving a lesson, or like sitting around your living room having a beer while listening to a very educated person tell you stuff about Christianity. No bombastic stuff, no pulpiteering, just a simple message. I said this to him one time and he laughed and shrugged his shoulders, and said the least important part of the service was his homily, so he didn't sweat it, just gave a talk. His main role was to lead the liturgy and conduct the Eucharist, so he didn't need to wow the crowd with a sensational sermon every week . He once said that if he found out a tornado was on the way and he needed to cut the service short , he would skip the homily. In the EO the priest isn't the show, the liturgy and the Eucharist are the show. In evangelical Protestantism the sermon is the show. Evangelicals like to think they truly worship, but in fact they sing a few hymns and then listen to the preacher earn his salary by trying to preach a sensational sermon. In an EO church the entire liturgy is one long worship session of God .
Similar to an Episcopal service. Don't know about EO, but in the Episcopal Church, the readings, prayers, short sermon, etc., lead up to Communion, the most important part of corporate worship (to us). I am not thrilled with the dullness of the Episcopal Hymnal, but I will take it over happy clappy repetitive "praise choruses" or whatever they call that.

I like my fellow Episcopalian MinivanDriver's characteristic of those types as "The Church of What's Happening Now".

I would be interested in visiting an Orthodox Church. Went to a Greek Orthodox funeral once, that's it.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:08 PM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
"The Church of What's Happening Now" came from comedy routines by Flip Wilson back in the 1960s. It was pastored by Reverend Leroy, who told the congregation that the church needed to grow and run instead of stumbling and crawling. The congregants responded "Make it run, Rev." The Rev then said to make it run, it first needed to stand up and walk. "Make it walk, Rev," the crowd shouted. "To make it walk, we need money," the good Reverend preached. "Let it crawl," the members replied.

Old 11-22-2021, 12:43 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Amen to the bolded.

Offering sacrifice to Almighty God is why we're there.

Old 11-22-2021, 01:43 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
Not to be picky but Christianity is a secular term. Meaning a term created by the world yet not found in the gospel.
Christians will always will be known for sitting in pews/chairs with their bibles/computers.
The word Christian (Christiania in Greek) is from Scriptures. Christianity is a form of the word.

Acts 11:26-26
Then Barnabas departed for Tarsus to seek Saul. And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people. And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Old 11-22-2021, 05:19 PM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
The word Christian (Christiania in Greek) is from Scriptures.
"Christiania" is not the Greek word for "Christian", but is instead an old name for Oslo, Norway. The Greek word for "Christian" is Χριστιανός, or Christianos as transliterated into the Roman alphabet.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:09 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
"The Church of What's Happening Now" came from comedy routines by Flip Wilson back in the 1960s. It was pastored by Reverend Leroy, who told the congregation that the church needed to grow and run instead of stumbling and crawling. The congregants responded "Make it run, Rev." The Rev then said to make it run, it first needed to stand up and walk. "Make it walk, Rev," the crowd shouted. "To make it walk, we need money," the good Reverend preached. "Let it crawl," the members replied.
Hahaha, I didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity