Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 04:00 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Easy peasy - Paul first wrote (in scripture) 'the Church of the ever-living God is the pillar and foundation of the truth'.

So if both are true, we simply ask the Church, the pillar and foundation of truth.
You do realize the church is ALL Christians, not just the Pope and magisterium? True Christians are the pillar and foundation. They uphold the Scriptures as truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Easy. None of 'em. They were all written by humans. No, this does not mean they are without value.

Assigning divinity to anything man-made is idolatry. IMO, of course.
That leaves you to be the arbiter of truth. Your view explains why we have a zillion denominations.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Inspiration does exist. I have written things I think were inspired. But there's inspiration and there's inspiration. The fundamentalist version of it meaning "God-breathed" is not what the word actually means.

The authors of the collection of writings known as The Bible were certainly inspired by their beliefs and their search to know God. That is different from the words being breathed into life by God.
The Greek word used here is θεόπνευστος (theopneustos) which is the combination of theos, meaning God, and pneustos, meaning to blow or breathe. So in the original Greek the term literally means “God-breathed.”

Old 11-19-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That was decided by early Christians, led by God. I believe what we have now is the absolute word of God, complete and without error.
Me too Jimmiej!

Old 11-19-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Honestly? If one doesn't believe that Scripture is the infallible word of God, then nothing they say about God matters because it's only their opinion.
Exactly! Honestly, I have to laugh at comments on this forum. They’ll defend their man made doctrine with Scripture then tell you they don’t believe all Scripture is inspired. Go figure!

Old 11-19-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've asked this before...but its an honest question. Why bother even giving lip service to Christianity if one rejects the Scriptures?
That was exactly my thought when writing the OP.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I looked up the passage and notice that there are 2 words used that are translated as scripture

2Ti 3:15**And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2Ti 3:16**All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17**That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The first is G1121***(Strong)
γράμμα
gramma
gram'-mah
From G1125; a writing, that is, a letter, note, epistle, book, etc.; plural learning: - bill, learning, letter, scripture, writing, written.

The second G1124***(Strong)
γραφή
graphē
graf-ay'
From G1125; a document, that is, holy Writ (or its contents or a statement in it): - scripture.

I looked at how the second one ‘graphe’ was used, and it is used to pick out the prophets and is about the fulfilling of Scripture

This is why we are told that there is spirit and life within and we need to separate the ‘wheat’ from the ‘chaff’

It has to do with correctly dividing the word, and understanding the meaning

2Ti 2:14**Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
2Ti 2:15**Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 2:16**But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

The same separation is used between gramma/letter and graphe in this Corinthians passage

Ministers of the New Covenant
2Co 3:1**Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
2Co 3:2**Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
2Co 3:3**Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
2Co 3:4**And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
2Co 3:5**Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2Co 3:6**Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
The Greek word used here is θεόπνευστος (theopneustos) which is the combination of theos, meaning God, and pneustos, meaning to blow or breathe. So in the original Greek the term literally means “God-breathed.”

Old 11-19-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

Great posts,
and ties into my 'scriptural' responses to an OP who only wants to hear 'scriptural responses'.

Lemme further my response (scripturally)...

"The aim of this instruction is love from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith.
Some people have deviated from these and turned to meaningless talk,
wanting to be teachers of the law, but without understanding either what they are saying or what they assert with such assurance.
We know that the law is good, provided that one uses it as law, with the understanding that law is meant not for a righteous person but for the lawless and unruly..."
(1 Tim 1:5-9)
It is Scripture and only Scripture that directs my path.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Straw man. What is being "rejected" is not scripture, but your way of interpreting scripture.
Not true! I have had countless people on this forum tell me they don’t believe all Scripture is God-breathed.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:22 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
You do realize the church is ALL Christians, not just the Pope and magisterium? True Christians are the pillar and foundation. They uphold the Scriptures as truth.
For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:
So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
(Romans 12:4-5)
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists;
and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints,
for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ
Eph4:11-12
Scripture mentions Bishops, Deacons, Presbyters/Elders too; even mentions a council too regarding Gentiles and other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity