Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 08:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
The term inspiration means God-breathed. Paul wrote that all Scripture is inspired. Some say they don’t believe that all Scripture is God-breathed. My question is this:

How does one decide which Scriptures are God-breathed and which are not?.
Honestly? If one doesn't believe that Scripture is the infallible word of God, then nothing they say about God matters because it's only their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
By using the "mind of Christ" as your standard. Jesus went to great trouble to describe God's Holy Spirit and then to demonstrate it unambiguously on the Cross at the expense of His body and life. He revealed that God is not remotely wrathful or vengeful. God is agape love and forgiveness BECAUSE we know not what we do. .

Anything men have written about Jesus or God that is NOT compatible or consistent with God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness is NOT from God or Jesus, period!! That is how you know what is God-breathed and what is flawed and fallible human creation or interpretation.
We've been over this, but the "mind of Christ" has told me that you are in error. So what now?

Old 11-19-2021, 09:02 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Honestly? If one doesn't believe that Scripture is the infallible word of God, then nothing they say about God matters because it's only their opinion.
And that's nothing but YOUR opinion!

Old 11-19-2021, 09:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Divine inspiration does not preclude the fact that the Bible was written by an ancient people in an ancient Near East culture that believed many things that simply are not scientifically correct.

There are actually different views of what divine inspiration means.

Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser speaks on the subject of divine inspiration in the following 24 minute video.

Michael Heiser — Inspiration & Inerrancy of the Bible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hpod0kYa28
Thanks, Michael. That was one of his talks I hadn't heard yet. It applies to my other questions about Job and Noah.

It just seems like a skeptic could say, "How do we know the salvation story is not allegory/parable/myth"? If so much else is.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:03 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Thanks, Michael. That was one of his talks I hadn't heard yet. It applies to my other questions about Job and Noah.

It just seems like a skeptic could say, "How do we know the salvation story is not allegory/parable/myth"? If so much else is.
The difference however is that Jesus is firmly a part of history and despite what you may read on the internet the existence and crucifixion of Jesus is one of the best documented facts of history. Further, his disciples truly believed that they saw the risen Jesus after he had been crucified, and none of the proposed naturalistic explanations have the explanatory scope or power to explain why they believed they saw the resurrected Jesus. That leaves the supernatural explanation - the disciples actually did see the risen Jesus.

Old 11-19-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And that's nothing but YOUR opinion!
I've asked this before...but its an honest question. Why bother even giving lip service to Christianity if one rejects the Scriptures?

Old 11-19-2021, 10:12 AM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
The term inspiration means God-breathed. Paul wrote that all Scripture is inspired. Some say they don’t believe that all Scripture is God-breathed. My question is this:

How does one decide which Scriptures are God-breathed and which are not?.
I looked up the passage and notice that there are 2 words used that are translated as scripture

2Ti 3:15**And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2Ti 3:16**All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17**That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The first is G1121***(Strong)
γράμμα
gramma
gram'-mah
From G1125; a writing, that is, a letter, note, epistle, book, etc.; plural learning: - bill, learning, letter, scripture, writing, written.

The second G1124***(Strong)
γραφή
graphē
graf-ay'
From G1125; a document, that is, holy Writ (or its contents or a statement in it): - scripture.

I looked at how the second one ‘graphe’ was used, and it is used to pick out the prophets and is about the fulfilling of Scripture

This is why we are told that there is spirit and life within and we need to separate the ‘wheat’ from the ‘chaff’

It has to do with correctly dividing the word, and understanding the meaning

2Ti 2:14**Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
2Ti 2:15**Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 2:16**But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

The same separation is used between gramma/letter and graphe in this Corinthians passage

Ministers of the New Covenant
2Co 3:1**Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
2Co 3:2**Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
2Co 3:3**Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
2Co 3:4**And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
2Co 3:5**Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2Co 3:6**Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-19-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-19-2021, 10:24 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I looked up the passage and notice that there are 2 words used that are translated as scripture

2Ti 3:15**And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
2Ti 3:16**All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17**That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The first is G1121***(Strong)
γράμμα
gramma
gram'-mah
From G1125; a writing, that is, a letter, note, epistle, book, etc.; plural learning: - bill, learning, letter, scripture, writing, written.

G1124***(Strong)
γραφή
graphē
graf-ay'
From G1125; a document, that is, holy Writ (or its contents or a statement in it): - scripture.

I looked at how the second one ‘graphe’ was used, and it is used to pick out the prophets and is about the fulfilling of Scripture

This is why we are told that there is spirit and life within and we need to separate the ‘wheat’ from the ‘chaff’

It has to do with correctly dividing the word, and understanding the meaning

2Ti 2:14**Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
2Ti 2:15**Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 2:16**But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

I believe this is also relate to the passage the letter kills, the spirit brings life

Ministers of the New Covenant
2Co 3:1**Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?
2Co 3:2**Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
2Co 3:3**Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
2Co 3:4**And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
2Co 3:5**Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2Co 3:6**Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

The same separation is used between gramma and graphe in this Corinthians passage

Old 11-19-2021, 10:32 AM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've asked this before...but its an honest question. Why bother even giving lip service to Christianity if one rejects the Scriptures?
How I see it is people aren’t necessarily rejecting the Scriptures outright, they are rejecting the ‘ungodly’ interpretations of them

This is what has been happening for 2000 years and this was also foretold from the start

It has to do with the separation/dividing

Old 11-19-2021, 01:22 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,018 times
Quote:
Quote:
How I see it is people aren’t necessarily rejecting the Scriptures outright, they are rejecting the ‘ungodly’ interpretations of them

Great posts,
and ties into my 'scriptural' responses to an OP who only wants to hear 'scriptural responses'.

Lemme further my response (scripturally)...

"The aim of this instruction is love from a pure heart, a good conscience, and a sincere faith.
Some people have deviated from these and turned to meaningless talk,
wanting to be teachers of the law, but without understanding either what they are saying or what they assert with such assurance.
We know that the law is good, provided that one uses it as law, with the understanding that law is meant not for a righteous person but for the lawless and unruly..."
(1 Tim 1:5-9)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity