Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 04:25 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,277,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If I've said this once on this forum, I've said it a thousand times. To so many of the posters here, though, if you interpret scripture differently than they do, you are "rejecting" scripture. And then you get accused of "calling God a liar."
Many on this forum have outright rejected ALL Scripture being God-breathed. It was because of one poster in particular that caused me to write the OP. What about you, Katzpur? Do you believe ALL Scripture is God-breathed? If not, how do you decide which are and which are not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know because I don't reject the Scriptures nor do I give "lip service" to Christianity, an answer I've given to you time and time again. I reject the idea that the Scriptures are meant to be taken literally and without error and that Scripture = God.

You already know this, so no, it's not an honest question. It's a question designed to make other readers think something of me that is not true.
BY your own words above, you are saying that ALL Scripture is not God-breathed. You’re saying they contain error. Since God doesn’t err, you’re saying all Scripture is not God-breathed. Think about it. That brings me to the OP question. How do you decide which are God-breathed and which are not?

Do you think the following Scripture has error?

2 Peter 1:20-21
…knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
NatesDude is not a practicing Christian.

Are you conceding that he is correct about the Protestant method?

I’m not Protestant. I don’t speak for them. My belief is that ALL Scripture is God-breathed.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:47 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Many on this forum have outright rejected ALL Scripture being God-breathed. It was because of one poster in particular that caused me to write the OP. What about you, Katzpur? Do you believe ALL Scripture is God-breathed? If not, how do you decide which are and which are not?
I think she means me. She got upset with me and stopped replying to me because I pointed out that the biblical writers at times quoted from pagan sources. Paul for instance in Acts 17:28 quoted from the poet Epimenides of Crete, and in 1 Corinthians 15:33 he quoted from the comic poet Menander. In Titus 1:12 he quoted Epimenides again. In each case he quoted them to support the gospel. So I supposedly reject Scripture as God breathed even though I don't. Oh well.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:59 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,018 times
Quote:
It is Scripture and only Scripture that directs my path.
Scripture alone then right? No tradition at all, not even a tiny bit, historical or otherwise?

Old 11-19-2021, 05:02 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I think she means me. She got upset with me and stopped replying to me because I pointed out that the biblical writers at times quoted from pagan sources. Paul for instance in Acts 17:28 quoted from the poet Epimenides of Crete, and in 1 Corinthians 15:33 he quoted from the comic poet Menander. In Titus 1:12 he quoted Epimenides again. In each case he quoted them to support the gospel. So I supposedly reject Scripture as God breathed even though I don't. Oh well.
Might not have been you ... it might have been mystic, Nate, MQ, me, ccc, escmike, any other/all of “us” together ..... because we don’t believe or agree with her view/perspective/interpretation of things

She initially came back to discuss baptism and that water baptism is a requirement to be a Christian

I’m not really worried

Last edited by Meerkat2; 11-19-2021 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 05:05 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Might not have been you ... it might have been mystic, Nate, MQ, me or all of us together ..... because we don’t believe or agree with her view/perspective/interpretation of things

She initially came back to discuss baptism and that water baptism is a requirement to be a Christian

I’m not really worried
Neither am I.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:22 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
And your method is to pick and choose whatever Scripture you can use to support your view. If a Scripture disagrees with your beliefs, you say it isn’t God breathed.
You seem to be deliberately NOT reading and understanding. You want to retain your lazy view that you do not have to actually understand the True Nature of Jesus or God to know what is from them or not.

Jesus came BECAUSE our ignorant, fearful, primitive ancestors did NOT know God
. They were taught to fear Him during their savage schoolmaster stage because that was the only way to get through to their barbaric and savage minds so they would learn self-control and discipline over their animal nature.

Jesus came to describe, teach, reveal and demonstrate unambiguously the True nature of God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness, NOT the wrath and vengeance our ancestors were taught to fear and write about. THAT should be your standard of truth and the way to know what writings are actually scripture from God or Jesus.

Apparently, testing what is written against the True Nature of God's Holy Spirit is too much work so you pretend it is ALL the inerrant and infallible word of God. Why do that when we are specifically told that Jesus is THE Word of God incarnate, NOT the Bible compiled by men.

Jesus is the Truth, the Life, and the Way to God, NOT the untested Bible. He abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts" as Jesus promised. That is why we are told to properly divide the scriptures and study to show ourselves approved and follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit (Comforter).

You THINK you are doing that by lazily accepting it ALL as God-breathed scripture, but it isn't. You are not getting in the frame of mind associated with the Holy Spirit and asking for guidance. You are either in some incompatible or even opposite states of mind or are ignoring the contradictions and inconsistencies and rationalizing them.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 11-19-2021 at 05:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 05:23 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Scripture alone then right? No tradition at all, not even a tiny bit, historical or otherwise?
Even scripture is tradition. The OT is part of Jewish tradition and the combined OT& NT part of the tradition of the Apostolic church. The early fathers at the councils of the church chose which books to include and which to exclude.

Old 11-19-2021, 07:37 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
My belief is that ALL Scripture is God-breathed.
Yes, we know. That is the Catholic view as well.

How do you know which books are Scripture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity