Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 05:01 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,200 times

Advertisements

How would this doctrine get squared with 1 Tim 2:3? If God wants all people to be saved, wouldn’t God make Christ’s sacrifice cover the whole worlds sins, just to be able to accomplish what God says it wants ?

3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave himself as a ransom for all people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 05:22 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
(Of note, I'm a 'babe' in Christ.)

I was watching a debate with John MacArthur and some others and was introduced to this concept of the elect. It was actually my first time hearing that God does not call everyone to be saved thus meaning that people are predestined to eternal damnation. I had vaguely heard about predestination in listening to John Piper and hearing that this is an ideal held by many Calvinists (please do step in and correct me as appropriate).

In just hearing about this concept (and I hate to admit this but) I am finding it immensely depressing.

Mark 13:20 (NIV) -
"If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them."

Is this concept widely held outside of Calvinism?

If you have passages of scripture to share either for or against predestination, please feel free to share.

What are your thoughts on the elect and regarding predestination?

The "elect" that was spoken of there are the remaining Christians who were baptized by holy spirit holy ones who make up the last of the gathered 144k who are still alive at Jesus' return maam.

Old 11-23-2021, 05:27 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:

I was watching a debate with John MacArthur and some others and was introduced to this concept of the elect. It was actually my first time hearing that God does not call everyone to be saved thus meaning that people are predestined to eternal damnation. I had vaguely heard about predestination in listening to John Piper and hearing that this is an ideal held by many Calvinists (please do step in and correct me as appropriate).

In just hearing about this concept (and I hate to admit this but) I am finding it immensely depressing.

"If the Lord had not cut short those days, no one would survive. But for the sake of the elect, whom he has chosen, he has shortened them."

If you have passages of scripture to share either for or against predestination, please feel free to share.

Those who are predestined are those who are IN CHRIST. Notice that Paul uses the pronoun US who have been chosen IN HIM. The US have been predestined. They are the elect. The Father does not RANDOMLY pick and choose individuals to save or condemn. He chooses to save those who are IN CHRIST. The question becomes who is IN CHRIST. Who are the US? The answer is simple. Those who obey the gospel of Jesus Christ (Galatians 3:27, Romans 6:3). The US Paul speaks of are holy and blameless (Colossians 1:15-23). The US is the collective body of Christ, Christians. They are the elect. God, in His foreknowledge knew who those people would be (Romans 8:29)

Ephesians 1:3-6
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He [a]made us accepted in the Beloved.

Beware of the teachings of Calvinism. As a babe in Christ, you will not recognize these false teaching because their proponents will strip Scriptures from context, and string them together with other verses to make their case seem like it’s truth. IT IS NOT! They will convince those who do not yet have a solid Biblical foundation. Run as far and as fast as you can from anyone who brings you these teachings. God wants ALL to be saved, not just some (1 Timothy 2:4). He doesn’t choose some for salvation and others for eternal punishment. Our God is a just and fair God.

God be with you as you search for His truth!

Old 11-23-2021, 11:44 AM

373 posts, read 311,134 times
Quote:

In my opinion, watching debates is not helpful, especially for a babe in Christ.

A simple way I look at this topic ...

I decided (elected or chose) to have a child. They did not have a voice in the matter.

While I chose to add a child to my family, if anyone else wants to join my family ... I would be happy to adopt them. All are welcomed.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:52 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Just a bunch of desperate, dishonest twisting of scriptures where Gentiles think they have replaced the Jew and the Israeli when the Christian isnt even in the religion of Jesus.

The plan was that God would add Gentiles to the chosen elect, but none of you Gentile Christians in here will convert to God's religion, the religion Jesus kept.

You havent replaced the Jew, you havent replaced the Israeli, you arent in the same religion as Jesus, you have not become. one with the Chosen Elect, you arent a Jew or an Israeli when the covenant is only for Israel and Judah.

You people arent Israel or Judah.

You are litetally standing outside the covenant from another religion with pagan ways teaching lawlesness and separation from the chosen and you guys are all up in here insanely pretending to be God's Elect when the very definition of the Elect os a person who will not involve himself with paganiism or lawlessness when all of you teach laelessness, paganism and SEPARATION FROM THE JEWISH PEOPLE.

Its just shameful, anti Semitic, and completely dishonest.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:17 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,278,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Just a bunch of desperate, dishonest twisting of scriptures where Gentiles think they have replaced the Jew and the Israeli when the Christian isnt even in the religion of Jesus.

The plan was that God would add Gentiles to the chosen elect, but none of you Gentile Christians in here will convert to God's religion, the religion Jesus kept.

You havent replaced the Jew, you havent replaced the Israeli, you arent in the same religion as Jesus, you have not become. one with the Chosen Elect, you arent a Jew or an Israeli when the covenant is only for Israel and Judah.

You people arent Israel or Judah.

You are litetally standing outside the covenant from another religion with pagan ways teaching lawlesness and separation from the chosen and you guys are all up in here insanely pretending to be God's Elect when the very definition of the Elect os a person who will not involve himself with paganiism or lawlessness when all of you teach laelessness, paganism and SEPARATION FROM THE JEWISH PEOPLE.

Its just shameful, anti Semitic, and completely dishonest.
Jesus gave His life for both Jew and Gentile. I’m sorry you feel as you do.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:28 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,101,995 times
Quote:

This idea of some being specially chosen and others rejected before all time is a Calvinist concept found in "reformed" churches.
Have you considered any local churches? A lot of churches have websites and streaming to give you an idea of what they emphasize and how they believe.

Old 11-25-2021, 02:23 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Kings

Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

You people keep the Babylonian holy days of Baal that teach of the resurrection of Tammuz, it is the exact same holy days that ended Israel.

Now God says he has an elect remnant of 7000 Elect, that WILL NOT INVOLVE.THEMSELVES IN PAGANISM.

Romans 11

Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, 3Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. 4But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. 5Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace

Elijah was standing there telling God that he was the only one left in the northern kingdom of Israel that didnt involve himself in Baal worship.

You people involve ypurself in the worship of Baal because you willingly choose separation from God's chosen people and instead of admitting your paganism, you wanna change the rules to even claiming that you are amongst the elect, but the elect are the elect because they refuse to do what you Christians do.

Matthew 24

24For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25Behold, I have told you before.

The Elect CANNOT become lawless like Christians, the Elect cannot be decieved into becoming lawless and they certainly cannot be decieved into accepting the Baal holy days and traditions Christians keep, and to suggest otherwise is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 11-25-2021, 03:06 PM

4,639 posts, read 1,187,026 times
Quote:

Being of the elect is the only way one can be saved. Its always possible you are one of the elect, for God has chosen a multitude of sinners so large that no man can number.

Old 11-25-2021, 03:19 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Kings
Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.
You people keep the Babylonian holy days of Baal that teach of the resurrection of Tammuz, it is the exact same holy days that ended Israel.
Now God says he has an elect remnant of 7000 Elect, that WILL NOT INVOLVE.THEMSELVES IN PAGANISM.
You really have to stop these irrational accusations. People cannot be doing any of that without INTENDING to do so. The vast majority of Christians have no clue who Tammuz or Baal is or what pagan festivals have your panties in a bunch!!! Get real, Hanni. It is IMPOSSIBLE to worship or celebrate something you do not INTEND to worship or celebrate!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity