Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 08:06 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Lies and deceit outside the pulpit, favoritism, sacred hymn books boxed up in favor of internet based music.
The congregation was told that the hymn books were removed because one could catch Covid by touching the books. What a hoax. Small Baptist church which is now smaller by alot. Jeremiah 23:1
Yes, I don't think I would enjoy one of the churches that uses the silly music some of them favor now. Although I admit I found some of our traditional Episcopal tunes dull and plodding, at least the lyrics were thought-provoking and poetic, not mindless repetitive choruses.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:10 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I see it more as you're knocked unconscious and going under and Jesus saves you.
A person who is unconscious does not have rationality or a will. I think my analogy is more accurate to the human condition

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Learn to swim then EMike.
Well that's what I'm trying to do! If I learn to swim, and I saving myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I don't think I would enjoy one of the churches that uses the silly music some of them favor now. Although I admit I found some of our traditional Episcopal tunes dull and plodding, at least the lyrics were thought-provoking and poetic, not mindless repetitive choruses.
I never liked the pop-style music that was ubiquitous in the evangelical churches I grew up in.

While I do enjoy hymns, I don't think they necessarily belong in the liturgy. If hymns are to be sung, they should be the Psalms. Gregorian chant is timeless and is as close to perfection as mankind can get in terms of music that is appropriate for the liturgy.

Old 12-18-2022, 10:16 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
A person who is unconscious does not have rationality or a will. I think my analogy is more accurate to the human condition

Well that's what I'm trying to do! If I learn to swim, and I saving myself?
We were not swimming though we had sunk and were dead in sin

None of us saved ourselves

I believe the swimming you are trying to do is being hampered because of your fixation on your self, and your allegiance, we are supposed to fix our attention above the here and now and use that as our guide

However we are all subjected to that selfishness

Eph 2:1**And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2**Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Eph 2:3**Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
Eph 2:4**But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Eph 2:5**Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved; )
Eph 2:6**And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:
Eph 2:7**That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
Eph 2:8**For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9**Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph 2:10**For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I never liked the pop-style music that was ubiquitous in the evangelical churches I grew up in.

While I do enjoy hymns, I don't think they necessarily belong in the liturgy. If hymns are to be sung, they should be the Psalms. Gregorian chant is timeless and is as close to perfection as mankind can get in terms of music that is appropriate for the liturgy.
Yesterday I played Allegri's Miserere Mei, Deus, on my phone as I was out walking, and it isn't even Ash Wednesday!

I had heard part of it in the background of a show I watched the other night, and it was in my head.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So basically what you are saying is that you are obsessed with the subject of sin. I think we all already knew that. See what I've bolded? You cannot even talk about "the goodness of God" without using the word.
God is, actually. It's why Jesus was born, lived, and died on the cross. To suggest God smiles at sin is simply incorrect. And we SHOULD want to avoid sin.
Quote:
Isn't the whole point that one is forgiven, freeing one to move forward into living a life of serving others by loving one's neighbors?

And I don't think I will ever get past BaptistFundie calling Francis of Assisi's admonishment to live like Christ a false dichotomy! Lord have mercy. Bet you anything Jesus is laughing at that one, too.
Your misuses of Assisi's statement was. It's my honest belief you'd accuse him of being obsessed with sin and chastise him.
Quote:

(BF: "Jesus doesn't laugh! Laughing is a sin!")

I've never suggested anything remotely resembling that. Why do you insist on bearing false witness?

Old 12-20-2022, 03:14 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:

Which is why I prefer the High Church tradition of the Episcopal church as opposed to the low church or folk mass of the RCC A few years ago we had a group from the Monastery at St Leos sing Gregorian chants at the Sacred Heart downtown Tampa and we went. Even the kids loved it, and even the Old Lady went. and she doesn't go anywhere except to work and eat.

I have been listening to some advent Gregorian chants this week. Absolutely beautiful and it is something that an Aesthetic like myself can appreciate and find inspiring.

Oh and the lovely Mighty Queen was correct. There is more scripture reading in an episcopal Eucharist than in any baptist church I have ever visited.
This harkens back to the Middle ages, when most people were illiterate. The church would have a program that if people attended church services regularly, then the entire book would be covered over the course of a few years. Stories and lessons from the Bible would be further told through interpretations through art and music.
This would allow those who could neither read nor write to have someone read and interpret the scripture for them.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Which is why I prefer the High Church tradition of the Episcopal church as opposed to the low church or folk mass of the RCC A few years ago we had a group from the Monastery at St Leos sing Gregorian chants at the Sacred Heart downtown Tampa and we went. Even the kids loved it, and even the Old Lady went. and she doesn't go anywhere except to work and eat.

I have been listening to some advent Gregorian chants this week. Absolutely beautiful and it is something that an Aesthetic like myself can appreciate and find inspiring.

Oh and the lovely Mighty Queen was correct. There is more scripture reading in an episcopal Eucharist than in any baptist church I have ever visited.
This harkens back to the Middle ages, when most people were illiterate. The church would have a program that if people attended church services regularly, then the entire book would be covered over the course of a few years. Stories and lessons from the Bible would be further told through interpretations through art and music.
This would allow those who could neither read nor write to have someone read and interpret the scripture for them.
Good post

I don't care for the "folk mass" either and nearly always attend the old form of the mass.

That said, the new mass can be done very well and doesn't have to be "folksy"; but there's just that stubborn element that wants it to be 1971 forever...

Old 12-21-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

You would have loved the program I went to a few years ago. My favorite museum is The Cloisters, on the northernmost part of the island of Manhattan, the medieval collection of the Metrpolitan Museum of Art. They did a program of singing in Latin chant the story of Christmas, complete with medieval instruments.

Old 12-21-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
God is, actually. It's why Jesus was born, lived, and died on the cross. To suggest God smiles at sin is simply incorrect. And we SHOULD want to avoid sin.
Nobody said that God smiles at sin, so I am not sure why that even entered your mind. Of course we should all want to avoid sin, but you seem to think no one should think of anything else. If we all thought of nothing ever besides our faults, what a depressing life that would be!

Quote:
Your misuses of Assisi's statement was. It's my honest belief you'd accuse him of being obsessed with sin and chastise him.
I don't know what you mean. There's no misuse. Francis said demonstrating a Christlike life is more effective than simply preaching about it. You seriously did not understand that?

Quote:
I've never suggested anything remotely resembling that. Why do you insist on bearing false witness?
Well, be honest. You don't come off as much of a smiler, BF. I don't think Jesus was as sour as you seem to want to depict him, and it's easy to picture you scowling at a laughing Jesus. Perhaps the problem is that we all just like to imagine Christ in our own image!

ETA: I concede that we can't know what people are like outside these message boards, so for all I know, BF, in Real Life you might actually be a nice, friendly guy and the negative persona you cultivate in this space is just an alter-ego you present for your own entertainment. Only God knows for sure.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-21-2022 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity