Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,510,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Betsey,

I encourage you to do some long, hard thinking about what it is you're trying to correlate with the year 2012 and how you're going about doing it. Clearly, if you've already convinced yourself that it's going to happen than any and all things that you feel could make a connection with 2012 are going to stick out in your mind.

The simple fact of the matter is that our Earth is a geological cesspool of activity. It's been that way since about 4.5 billions years ago when it was first created. Mountain ranges like the Himalayas, the Andes, Alps, etc... were all formed from catastrophically devastating geological events.

Earthquakes have been known to be so powerful that they've created entire lakes (look up the history of Reelfoot Lake). Whole chunks of land have separated from one another (look up the geological history of Sri Lanka, Madagascar, etc...) in other catastrophic events.

Essentially, this planet is a working geological activity center filled to the brim with activity. If you want to believe that a slight tremor or earthquake is a sign of "2012" than I can't stop you. But, I encourage you to use your thinking apparatus and deduce for yourself if what is being proposed is actually evidence of anything other than complete and utter nonsense. What sort of hard evidence other than crazy men in cheap suits, coats and ties with bad haircuts and eyeglasses circa 1982 saying they think it's going to happen is there?

Come on, Betsey, don't fall for this crap. It's utter nonsense.
Too Late.. Once they`ve been indoctrinated it`s hard to get out! Doesn`t matter how many times it never happens. Doesn`t matter if you sit someone down and show them what has been documented in history. Doesn`t matter if you get out dictionaries and concordances and show them what actual words mean. When a person becomes intoxicated by churchology, all common sense, logic, and reasoning goes right out the window. To them, facts only get in the way of their truth. It`s pecular what religion can do to a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 03:52 PM

396 posts, read 599,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Too Late.. Once they`ve been indoctrinated it`s hard to get out! Doesn`t matter how many times it never happens. Doesn`t matter if you sit someone down and show them what has been documented in history. Doesn`t matter if you get out dictionaries and concordances and show them what actual words mean. When a person becomes intoxicated by churchology, all common sense, logic, and reasoning goes right out the window. To them, facts only get in the way of their truth. It`s pecular what religion can do to a person.

I agree!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,725 times
Quote:
I don't even think this 2012 garbage is the stuff of what you refer to as "Churchology." Although I have no doubt that some less than reliable church organizations will play it up so as to bolster the parishioner population, I don't think it's going to be something that grasps a hold of the religious community in entirety.

You see, what bothers me about this kind of crap floating around out there is the fact that because of the gullibility of certain people to believe in this kind of disaster scenario stuff there are those who would like to make a quick buck off of them.

Remember when Y2K was going to "hit" about ten years ago and the large majority of the population was rushing in to get their computers, software, batteries and sex toys Y2K compliant? Well, while that's great for the economy, it turned into nothing more than a giant marketing scheme for people to take advantage of the less than intelligent consumer market.

I see the same kind of stuff happening with this 2012 crap although it does seem to be based on less than avaricious reasoning than Y2K. Low and behold, if the general portion of the population gets it into their frame of minds, I assure you there will be those who seek to absconder and rape people out of their hard earned money to take advantage of them.

"Get your camping gear, rifles, guns, ammunition! Stock up on food, water, canned tuna and string cheese! Don't forget batteries, campers, torches, and kerosene lanterns!" I can see it now.

But, when you really boil it down what would be the reason to prepare yourself for the "Alien Holocaust" about to beseech the Earth in the year 2012? Because of a Mayan calendar that ends in 2012? Because the Mayan's were "mysterious" people? Because they just disappeared? That's a pretty big effort to link up two events. Lest we should forget that the Mayans were the same civilization who drowned virgin teenagers to the rain god Chaac in order to make it rain. Fantastic astronomers - Yes they were. Fantastic meteorologists - No they were not.

Regardless of how you want to look at it, the evidence for a "disaster" happening on 2012 is nothing more than the same wish-thinking that has plagued humanity for all time. I actually feel sorry for the people who fall for this stuff because they're duty bound to get ripped off and taken advantage of.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,456,380 times
Quote:
Betsey,

I encourage you to do some long, hard thinking about what it is you're trying to correlate with the year 2012 and how you're going about doing it. Clearly, if you've already convinced yourself that it's going to happen than any and all things that you feel could make a connection with 2012 are going to stick out in your mind.

The simple fact of the matter is that our Earth is a geological cesspool of activity. It's been that way since about 4.5 billions years ago when it was first created. Mountain ranges like the Himalayas, the Andes, Alps, etc... were all formed from catastrophically devastating geological events.

Earthquakes have been known to be so powerful that they've created entire lakes (look up the history of Reelfoot Lake). Whole chunks of land have separated from one another (look up the geological history of Sri Lanka, Madagascar, etc...) in other catastrophic events.

Essentially, this planet is a working geological activity center filled to the brim with activity. If you want to believe that a slight tremor or earthquake is a sign of "2012" than I can't stop you. But, I encourage you to use your thinking apparatus and deduce for yourself if what is being proposed is actually evidence of anything other than complete and utter nonsense. What sort of hard evidence other than crazy men in cheap suits, coats and ties with bad haircuts and eyeglasses circa 1982 saying they think it's going to happen is there?

Come on, Betsey, don't fall for this crap. It's utter nonsense.

Nonsense according to whom? Forget the guys in cheap suits with bad haircuts. If I'm going to believe the bible, I'm going to believe ALL OF IT, not just some.

Do you believe in God? Do you believe that He sent His Son to die for you, too? The bible my friend is a road map to the future...........how bad do you want to live? Let's talk.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
And even more AWESOME what God can do! Forget churchology, and religion......try CHRIST!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeapostle View Post
I agree!

And you know what they say........birds of a feather........ Here's to discovering truth!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,481,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Nonsense according to whom? Forget the guys in cheap suits with bad haircuts. If I'm going to believe the bible, I'm going to believe ALL OF IT, not just some.

Do you believe in God? Do you believe that He sent His Son to die for you, too? The bible my friend is a road map to the future...........how bad do you want to live? Let's talk.
No I don't believe in God. No, I don't believe in Jesus as having died for my sins.

And, yes, this 2012 nonsense is just that - nonsense. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any sort of Biblical literature that even remotely suggests prophetic doom and gloom for the year 2012. So, whether one believes the Bible in part, full, or not at all, I don't know how you have even drawn a tangible conclusion of the Mayan calendar to the Bible. It's utterly ridiculous, Betsey.

Just do me a favor. Don't spend any of your hard-earned money preparing for it, ok?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:21 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,402,959 times
Quote:
So true

Old 07-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
No I don't believe in God. No, I don't believe in Jesus as having died for my sins.

And, yes, this 2012 nonsense is just that - nonsense. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any sort of Biblical literature that even remotely suggests prophetic doom and gloom for the year 2012. So, whether one believes the Bible in part, full, or not at all, I don't know how you have even drawn a tangible conclusion of the Mayan calendar to the Bible. It's utterly ridiculous, Betsey.

Just do me a favor. Don't spend any of your hard-earned money preparing for it, ok?

You don't believe in God, and don't believe in Christ having died for you, okay. Would you like to get to know Him? Why else would you be here GCSTroop, if not "silently seeking"?

Would YOU do me (well yourself actually) a favor and spend some time preparing for Him? Okay? Please?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 PM

111 posts, read 180,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
What to you have to say on the subject? You being, ANYONE. Scientific minds are welcome. Christians prospective, whoever, or whatever!

Another Y2K? Is it any different? Just hype ? I've heard from different sources, some are really preparing for "something". Some say it's part of the Book of Revelation being fulfilled, others, just part of "what the earth must go through", Let's talk. Would like to hear what you think.

To each his own.......any thoughts welcomed.
No scientific mind here, but look what I stumbled on today regarding a very interesting looking crop circle described as a Mayan "apocalyptic" crop circle that appeared in Silbury Hill, Wilshire. The report is dated July 8, 2009, by the Telegraph of the U.K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity