Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:23 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,460,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
No scientific mind here, but look what I stumbled on today regarding a very interesting looking crop circle described as a Mayan "apocalyptic" crop circle that appeared in Silbury Hill, Wilshire. The report is dated July 8, 2009, by the Telegraph of the U.K.

The link? All thoughts welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:23 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,487,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedlydee View Post
No scientific mind here, but look what I stumbled on today regarding a very interesting looking crop circle described as a Mayan "apocalyptic" crop circle that appeared in Silbury Hill, Wilshire. The report is dated July 8, 2009, by the Telegraph of the U.K.

The crop circle hoaxes have been debunked time and time again. It started out as two guys who were using a uniquely designed contraption to mash down the crops. They would sneak out in the middle of the night and could do rather elaborate designs and patterns over the course of a few hours. They did it for quite some time before one of the man's wives grew suspicious of his late night outings. Thinking he was having an affair, she finally confronted him and he told her about what he was doing with the crop circles. This eventually made its way to the news, where they interviewed both guys and they performed several demonstrations of how they did it.

Shortly after the widely televised report, crop circles started showing up all over the world in places like New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and a few in the U.S.

By all means, go ahead with your fanciful wish-thinking but crop circles are nothing more than a few pranksters playing tricks on gullible people.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:26 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,430,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post

The crop circle hoaxes have been debunked time and time again. It started out as two guys who were using a uniquely designed contraption to mash down the crops. They would sneak out in the middle of the night and could do rather elaborate designs and patterns over the course of a few hours. They did it for quite some time before one of the man's wives grew suspicious of his late night outings. Thinking he was having an affair, she finally confronted him and he told her about what he was doing with the crop circles. This eventually made its way to the news, where they interviewed both guys and they performed several demonstrations of how they did it.

Shortly after the widely televised report, crop circles started showing up all over the world in places like New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, and a few in the U.S.

By all means, go ahead with your fanciful wish-thinking but crop circles are nothing more than a few pranksters playing tricks on gullible people.
Yes this is true .

Wiltshire is a beautiful county by the way

Old 07-11-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:

You know, just because we can't wrap our minds around something, that does'nt mean it is'nt so.

To think we are the only ones out here in this vast universe, how vain.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,487,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You know, just because we can't wrap our minds around something, that does'nt mean it is'nt so.

To think we are the only ones out here in this vast universe, how vain.
Betsey,

There is a difference between making an assumption that we are the only ones in the universe and unashamedly making poor assumptions based on fanciful wish-thinking and old Twilight Zone episodes.

For the record, I do think it would be rather vain to presume we are the only ones in the universe but I also realize that until we have some sort of confirmation concluding that premise to be true, it is merely speculation. Yes, the odds are very good indeed that we are not the only ones - but that doesn't mean a thing in so much as whether or not we are being 'visited.'

But, just because we might not be the only ones in the universe does not mean that we have been getting visits from some alien civilization. You do realize that even the closest potential star that could harbor planets with other lifeforms is lightyears away, right? This would mean that the alien civilization coming to pay us a visit could not only travel at the speed of light or very near it but would have had to design a craft that could navigate through the plethora of space debris from 'there' to 'here'.

The technological sophistication of such an alien race would have to be absolutely astounding. We, as human beings, have a difficult enough time planning a silly little trip to Mars (approx. 18 months) due to things such as solar radiation, lack of gravity, food and water supplies, how to get back, etc... While I suppose that an alien race that could travel close to the speed of light or at the speed of light would probably also have the technological sophistication to overcome similar types of barriers that we face with space travel, it seems to me like they would also be able to come here without leaving giant marks in corn fields.

While I do not doubt it to be possible that kind of technology could exist somewhere 'out there' this does not mean that they had any better luck finding us than we found them. There is simply no evidence to suggest that we are being visited by an alien race other than mere speculation based on very loose and very vague evidence.

I'll never understand people who are willing to accept the vaguest of premises and evidences to suggest that things like aliens exist and/or that we are being visited by them. If they really wanted to leave evidence of their visit, I'm sure they could think of something a little more intelligent than a few mashed down crops and redneck anal probings.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Betsey,

There is a difference between making an assumption that we are the only ones in the universe and unashamedly making poor assumptions based on fanciful wish-thinking and old Twilight Zone episodes.

For the record, I do think it would be rather vain to presume we are the only ones in the universe but I also realize that until we have some sort of confirmation concluding that premise to be true, it is merely speculation. Yes, the odds are very good indeed that we are not the only ones - but that doesn't mean a thing in so much as whether or not we are being 'visited.'

But, just because we might not be the only ones in the universe does not mean that we have been getting visits from some alien civilization. You do realize that even the closest potential star that could harbor planets with other lifeforms is lightyears away, right? This would mean that the alien civilization coming to pay us a visit could not only travel at the speed of light or very near it but would have had to design a craft that could navigate through the plethora of space debris from 'there' to 'here'.

The technological sophistication of such an alien race would have to be absolutely astounding. We, as human beings, have a difficult enough time planning a silly little trip to Mars (approx. 18 months) due to things such as solar radiation, lack of gravity, food and water supplies, how to get back, etc... While I suppose that an alien race that could travel close to the speed of light or at the speed of light would probably also have the technological sophistication to overcome similar types of barriers that we face with space travel, it seems to me like they would also be able to come here without leaving giant marks in corn fields.

While I do not doubt it to be possible that kind of technology could exist somewhere 'out there' this does not mean that they had any better luck finding us than we found them. There is simply no evidence to suggest that we are being visited by an alien race other than mere speculation based on very loose and very vague evidence.

I'll never understand people who are willing to accept the vaguest of premises and evidences to suggest that things like aliens exist and/or that we are being visited by them. If they really wanted to leave evidence of their visit, I'm sure they could think of something a little more intelligent than a few mashed down crops and redneck anal probings.

Hey, to each his/her own huh? Meanwhile, back to the topic at hand: http://green.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090...i_el_nino.html

http://www.standeyo.com/NEWS/09_Eart...s.tremors.html

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 07-11-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 10:45 AM

You can keep track yourselves, it's quite interesting........SOLARCYCLE 24.com / Solar Cycle 24 / Spaceweather / Amateur Radio VHF Aurora Website.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 AM

YouTube - 2012 WARNING on Mainstream news

Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Premiering July 21st.......The Colony : Explore The Compound : Discovery Channel

Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 PM

FYI......

Eyes on the skies: What hit Jupiter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity