Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Christians believe that Jesus will baptize with the Holy Ghost and fire, right? That God Himself is a consuming fire, correct?

Does this also eliminate the cross from the equation?

The simple truth is that we cannot draw near to Him without being burned.
The Baptism of fire is the casting of all Tribulational unbelievers off the earth at the Second Advent of Christ. It was prophesized by John the baptist in Matthew 3:11,12. 'He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12) ''And His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn (believers), but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.'' (unbelievers ordered into the eternal lake of fire forever.)

Matthew 13:25 is a parable which deals with the Baptism of fire.

It is fulfilled in Matthew 25:41,46 ''Then He will also say to those on His left, ''Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 46) ''And these will go away into eternal punishment...''

The baptism of fire is the subject of 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9. ''...when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, 8) dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9) And these will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

No, the baptism of fire is not a purification of believers. The church age believer is sanctified (1Cor. 1:30) at the moment of salvation. He is as of the moment of regeneration placed into union with Christ and is adopted by God as an adult son POSITIONALLY. (Romans 8:15; Eph. 1:5)

The baptism of fire identifies Tribulational unbelievers with eternal judgment at the Second Advent.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,438,567 times
The fire baptism is in direct correlation to Malachi 3

Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM

702 posts, read 962,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Precisely why the paradigm was coined a heresy so long ago.
When was this done, and by whom? I'm curious.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,939,281 times
Quote:
Alabama,

1 Tim 2 does not imply that all men are saved. All it implies is the ethnic distinction has been removed so that Gentiles too can come to the knowledge of God. Why is this so hard? If one would just start at the beginning of the chapter to the end, instead of pulling one verse out of its context then we wouldn't have this problem.
That's not what I stated my friend. The text does not say "are saved" (as you've indicated) but rather that God does "will" (present tense) all "men" ἄνθρωπος

ἄνθρωπος

(I) A man or woman, an individual of the human race, a person.

to "be saved" (aorist tense).

1Ti 2:4 ος G3739[WHO] παντας G3956[ALL] ανθρωπους G444[MEN] θελει G2309(G5719)[WISHES] σωθηναι G4982(G5683)[TO BE SAVED] και G2532[AND] εις G1519[TO] επιγνωσιν G1922[KNOWLEDGE] αληθειας G225[OF "THE" TRUTH] ελθειν G2064(G5629)[TO COME.]

I also place a distinction on the term all men. It includes only sinners. All sinners and no one else. All the impious ones. That is the distinction made by scripture spoken of here:

Rom 4:5 and to him who is not working, and is believing upon Him who is declaring righteous the impious, his faith is reckoned--to righteousness:

Rom 5:6 For in our being still ailing, Christ in due time did die for the impious;

Believe it.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jremy View Post
When was this done, and by whom? I'm curious.
Augustine, among others. Origen and a form of apocatastasis were condemned in 544 by the Patriarch Mennas of Constantinople and the condemnation was ratified in 553 by the Fifth Ecumenical Council. Also Jerome, once a Unie, denounced it.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
The word "will" does not always indicate what God brings about. God does not want people to violate his commandments, yet it happens all the time. God may will that all be saved, but that is no guarantee that he will do so. You read far more into the passage than is there.
I don't think I do. I think you don't believe the Gospel...LOL

Old 02-09-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I don't think I do. I think you don't believe the Gospel...LOL
You are mistaken dear brother. You just misunderstand the terms used.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
That is why these threads are becoming ridiculous. Avoiding contextual examination of verses accomplishes little. In that case, is it worthy of refutation? Hardly. Quoting Rom. 5:18, for example, is not even worthy of a response until the quoter first takes the time to examine it in its context, verse by verse. To trifle with such a difficult, important passage only shows that one is unwilling to find out all that God says about the matter.
Absolute rubbish. The reason you do not believe the Gospel is that you're still in the flesh. As a matter of fact the flesh cannot believe it. You need to brought to life my friend...LOL By the Spirit of God! When the Spirit brings life, you'll believe the Gospel.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
You are mistaken dear brother. You just misunderstand the terms used.
LOL...I miss understood nothing. It says what it says and I believe it.

Allow me to entertain you for a moment my friend. When the mind is soiled in sin, even that which is good is seen as evil. Don't let the kindness of our God be your envy. Rejoice in the Lord and in His goodness!

Mat 20:15 Or is it not lawful for me to do what I desire with my things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
LOL...I miss understood nothing. It says what it says and I believe it.

Allow me to entertain you for a moment my friend. When the mind is soiled in sin, even that which is good is seen as evil. Don't let the kindness of our God be your envy. Rejoice in the Lord and in His goodness!

Mat 20:15 Or is it not lawful for me to do what I desire with my things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?
You are absolutley correct, which does not exclude you from its effect.
I rejoice in His goodness, but 1 Tim 2 or 1 Tim 4 speak in no way whatsoever in support of the "all mankind" are saved theology. All they imply is that the partition has been removed so that all men, "can follow, or find influence" to the knowledge of truth. The barrier had been removed so that not only Jews, but then, also Gentiles, have that access.

The whole premise of Paul's commission.
To expand the kingdom into the Gentile world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity