Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times

Advertisements

It seems many people here seem to think the Lake of Fire is nothing more than an eternal torture chamber, designed to inflict as much pain as possible, whether that be physical or spiritual pain.

Why would God do such a thing?

Especially since we know God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-wise, and all-loving... how does a giant eternal torture chamber seem like a reasonable thing to create? Reason would suggest to me that eternal torture is not a loving thing.

Some would say that we cannot understand the ways of God... therefore eternal torture is good. Huh?

Others simply delight in the idea of their enemies being tortured forever, and they have delighted in teaching this to the world. But God does not delight in the death of the wicked... God does not delight in evil.

It seems to me the idea of eternal torture for any reason is pure evil at its most base form. In that sense I can understand why one would conclude annihilation as a reasonable alternative.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Why do you continue to focus on this?

We are to keep our focus on the person of Christ, and growing in his grace and knowledge, and becoming more like Him.

While the judgments are valid, that is not to be our main focus.

To answer your question directly...
Quote:
Especially since we know God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-wise, and all-loving... how does a giant eternal torture chamber seem like a reasonable thing to create?
In your description of God, you neglected His holiness. And sin can not be in the presence of a holy God. The wages of sin is death, which is separation from life - and the life is God. Those who have Christ - His death paid for their sin. Those who do not have Christ receive their wages of sin in full - which is separation from God. This separation involves the lake of fire where the devil is.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
It seems to me the idea of eternal torture for any reason is pure evil at its most base form.
Then why are there so many (uni"s) here (like this thread) who are constantly bringing this subject up.... which makes others believe they have nothing to think about but meditating, dwelling upon evil and posting, starting threads about the subject of evil, eternal torture, pain, annihilation, and etc., !!!

What happen to prayer and God telling us too....
Phil.4:6-8
6. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

In all reality....one begins to think that such minds and hearts can do nothing BUT.... to focus upon the things about evil on a regular bases......

MOVE ON ....and leave God too working His grace, leading other's too salvation through His precious Son, Jesus Christ....

Psalm 37:5
5. Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, and He will do it.

Besides, He gives His faith to those who will believe....that He can handle it "ALL"....

Deut. 10:21
21. "He is your praise and He is your God, who has done these great and awesome things for you which your eyes have seen.

Also do Remember.....
Psalm 94:19..
When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, Your consolations delight my soul.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There are some days when June would love nothing more than to post a "Moritorium Sign-Up Thread" on this. (Kinda like "can we accentuate the postive here?")

Wonder if she'd have any "takers."

Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 AM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Because it is primitive ignorance, barbarity and blasphemy to credit our loving God and Creator with such heinous evil. If we have not progressed beyond such barbarous and evil thinking . . . it is a sad commentary on the human race.
Quote:
To answer your question directly...

In your description of God, you neglected His holiness. And sin can not be in the presence of a holy God.
This is the epitome of cognitive dissonance at work. To equate holiness with such evil . . . as justification for it no less . . . exceeds my capacity to relate!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Ok obviously the first 2 people missed the point of the post.

The interesting thing is when I focus on the positive (God loves all), people will tell me I'm too focused on God's love. For the record, its not just "Uni's" bringing the subject up.

We can't have God loving everyone, who would suffer forever?

June, please close the thread if you think it is too negative.

I'll attempt to be more positive later.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:52 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,333,819 times
Quote:
In your description of God, you neglected His holiness. And sin can not be in the presence of a holy God. The wages of sin is death, which is separation from life - and the life is God. Those who have Christ - His death paid for their sin. Those who do not have Christ receive their wages of sin in full - which is separation from God. This separation involves the lake of fire where the devil is.

"Such is the understanding of these teachings which we have accepted from the great Saint Paul. It is time now to quote the apostle himself on these matters. "For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, then at his coming those who belong to Christ. Then comes the end when he delivers the kingdom to God the Father after destroying every rule and every authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 'For God has put all things in subjection under his feet' [a reference to Ps 8.6]. But when it says, 'All things are put in subjection under him,' it is plain that he is accepted who put all things under him. When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who puts all things under him, that God may be everything to everyone" [1 Cor 15.22-28].

In the last of his words [above], Paul plainly speaks of the nonexistence (anuparktos) of evil by stating that God is in all things and present to each one of them. It is clear that God will truly be in all things when no evil will be found. It is not proper for God to be present in evil; thus, he will not be in everything as long as some evil remains."

words from Saint Gregory of Nyssa:

http://www.sage.edu/faculty/salomd/nyssa/1corinth.html

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

June, please close the thread if you think it is too negative.

I'll attempt to be more positive later.

No, no reason to close it. ~June's post was meant to infuse a little 'light humor' into the fray. (ie: A 'sign-up thread/sheet where people agreed to temporarily suspend the UR/ET debate, and post other, more 'uplifting' aspects of Christianity that we seldom hear as much about...)

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
It seems many people here seem to think the Lake of Fire is nothing more than an eternal torture chamber, designed to inflict as much pain as possible, whether that be physical or spiritual pain.

Why would God do such a thing?

Especially since we know God is all-knowing, all-powerful, and all-wise, and all-loving... how does a giant eternal torture chamber seem like a reasonable thing to create? Reason would suggest to me that eternal torture is not a loving thing.

Some would say that we cannot understand the ways of God... therefore eternal torture is good. Huh?

Others simply delight in the idea of their enemies being tortured forever, and they have delighted in teaching this to the world. But God does not delight in the death of the wicked... God does not delight in evil.

It seems to me the idea of eternal torture for any reason is pure evil at its most base form. In that sense I can understand why one would conclude annihilation as a reasonable alternative.

Beats the hell outta me.

I'm still hung up on how I can be a "sinner" from the moment I was born. Absolutely absurd.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
There are some days when June would love nothing more than to post a "Moritorium Sign-Up Thread" on this. (Kinda like "can we accentuate the postive here?")

Wonder if she'd have any "takers."
"Wonder if she'd have any "takers."............... !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity