Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:39 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
The problem here is that as man's dictionary changes through time, one has to take into account that there was another word for masturbation and it is uncleanness.
'uncleanness' covers many things, it is like an umbrella.

However in Bible usage I am not familiar with it being used in any passage referencing masturbation.

Quote:
A poster that I cannot recall in this thread had referenced sex and thus implied that masturbation would prevent colon cancer. ...
Having been a career US servicemember, I had to sit through various topics of annual medical training.

One of those topics was prostate health.

And yes it is commonly taught to US servicemembers that routine flushing of the tubes and prostate will lessen the chances of prostate cancer.

Colon and prostate are not really related to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:57 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned/off topic

It still doesn't answer why life went on for 170,000 years with no problems, man masturbating and procreating without marriage ceremonies and yet we're all damned to hellfire now all-of-the-sudden when someone creates a religion around the "so-called word of G-d".

I believe in G-d, I don't need to practice an organized religion, send my hard earned money 4 Sundays a month to a church or preacher, or read the bible to meditate on something that I believe has always been here.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-26-2010 at 11:34 AM..

Old 06-25-2010, 01:04 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Also... I wish to point out how fornicators can see clearly that it is sin, because they would refer to it as justification for them to have sex before marriage.

The Phil Donahue show had shown an audience in agreeing that everyone masturbates, and that if they say they do not, they are lying, by which Phil repeated dryly, whethor or not he had agreed with that shouted statement from the audience at that time, I recall not nor the conclusions that Phil would end with on that show.

Society can be influential through television and even music: discerning what is good and evil or of the flesh and not necessarily involving lust: believers are to remember that we are also to abstain from all appearances of evil and if masturbation can serve lust, then even if one believes they are doing it without lust, it is yielding your instruments to the flesh and still a poor witness.

Ephesians 5:1-16 has stated "all uncleanness" and that no unclean person shall have an inheritance in the Kingdom of God ( which is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb) and so this is the same high calling to take the sin before that throne of grace for help as any believer in homosexuality or any other sin should do as well to be found abiding in Him and not be found as the prodigal son giving up his first inhertance for something temporary as Esau sold his birthright for a meal.

I know christian ministries are "sympathizing" with this issue in the same way that other ministries are doing with homosexuality, but as hard as this is: Jesus Christ is the answer. He will deliver us so that sin shall no longer have dominion over us.

It does seem strange how the world will step in and defend and try to help those that are doing it to not feel guilty about it... but the crux of the matter rests in going to Jesus in helping us to know the will of God on this social issue which is sin.

One should be careful when applying: to him that is unclean or sin.. to him it is unclean or sin because if He says it is sin, we need to go to Him for help to be delivered from it.

Does our body control us or do we have self control? I really believe part of the problem is what we take in through the eyes and ears and so let us not love the world or anything that is in the world that promotes the pride of life, the lust of the eyes, and the lust of the flesh, because as much as believers will acknowledge the obviousness of the latter two, we forget to discern and apply by His grace and help what is of the pride of life.

Masturbation does imply a lack of contentment no matter how you look at it.... and certainly is not godliness.
God's Will is revealed to us in God's Word.

You can certainly pray and ask God to reveal His Will for you via direct revelation; however I believe that God rather expects us to first have an understanding of what He has already given us in His Word.

God does not hide His doctrines.

God does not cleverly skirt around issues when He wants us to know the score, then God tells us.

God has given us all that we need to know for life and godliness.

There is no need to logically reason out some hidden aspects of godliness. God explains everything we need to be concerned with, right in His Word.

I can not go around making up new sins, I do not have that authority. You can not make up new sins, you do not carry that authority. Only God can decide what sin is, only He has that authority. No man carries the authority to make up new sins.

Everything which is a sin, God has explained and listed over and over in His Word.

So again I say, you can not make up new sins. No man can make up new sins. Only God can tell us what sin is, and God does. Every sin is listed and explained by God already.

Your efforts to make up new sins to suit your doctrine is rather dishonest.

'Using God's Name in vain' do you know what that means as a Hebrew idiom? To teach a false-doctrine and to say that it is God's doctrine. Trying to sign God's name onto your own false-teachings. You see when you say "blah blah, so saith The Lord" you are saying that God has said that message, which is trying to impart God's power to the message preached. But since it was clearly not from God, it carries no power, no authority, it is in vain.

God's Word does not go out to people without power. God's Word heals people, it sets hearts free from bondage, it turns men to The Lord. But false-teachings imprison people.

I will pray for you.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
God's Will is revealed to us in God's Word.

You can certainly pray and ask God to reveal His Will for you via direct revelation; however I believe that God rather expects us to first have an understanding of what He has already given us in His Word.

God does not hide His doctrines.

God does not cleverly skirt around issues when He wants us to know the score, then God tells us.

God has given us all that we need to know for life and godliness.

There is no need to logically reason out some hidden aspects of godliness. God explains everything we need to be concerned with, right in His Word.

I can not go around making up new sins, I do not have that authority. You can not make up new sins, you do not carry that authority. Only God can decide what sin is, only He has that authority. No man carries the authority to make up new sins.

Everything which is a sin, God has explained and listed over and over in His Word.

So again I say, you can not make up new sins. No man can make up new sins. Only God can tell us what sin is, and God does. Every sin is listed and explained by God already.

Your efforts to make up new sins to suit your doctrine is rather dishonest.

'Using God's Name in vain' do you know what that means as a Hebrew idiom? To teach a false-doctrine and to say that it is God's doctrine. Trying to sign God's name onto your own false-teachings. You see when you say "blah blah, so saith The Lord" you are saying that God has said that message, which is trying to impart God's power to the message preached. But since it was clearly not from God, it carries no power, no authority, it is in vain.

God's Word does not go out to people without power. God's Word heals people, it sets hearts free from bondage, it turns men to The Lord. But false-teachings imprison people.

I will pray for you.
Thanks, but do consider just for the sake of objectivity that His word is plain to see what is sin is and that it is mankind that has hidden the sin of uncleanness by calling it masturbation. It is on Him to convince you of that, but oftentimes than not as in my case, I had to be open to the idea that what my church taught me about making a yoke of bondage like the commitment to follow Christ was of the flesh and not what Jesus had taught since we are to standfast in the liberty in which Christ has set us free to not enter into that yoke of bondage as believers are ina relationship with God through Jesus Christ not a religion where mighty men and nobles would respond to. I had to be set free from my commitment to Christ to rest in Him and His promises to me that He is committed to me in helping me live as His and that is why it is written that the just shall live by faith. That is how I get to know Him when I trust Him at His Word to be My Good Shepherd in helping me live as His.

And so you must also be ready to set aside what the world says and be ready to receive the meat plainly there for all to see and yet unable to apply because the world is not able to see how it rerpoves the works of darkness that the world has said it is normal or okay.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:51 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
If I spend my day marinating in resentment toward someone, I'm bound to eventually be rude, nasty, or disrespectful towards them out of something I did.
That I believe is "sinful"

Also, if I spend my day lusting my brains out, either with memories, or images in my mind or external, it is also bound to lead to behaviors of my own making.

I frankly don't see how it is possible to want to masturbate without lust being involved.

And lust is "sinful". It robs human dignity.

I'd like to see a discussion on the topic of lust vs. desire.
In other words, when does desire , even strong desire, become lust.
I'm not one who believes lust can be simply defined as "strong desire"

Lust is counter to love. It is selfish, self centered, and demeans my "neighbor". Lust is all about me, and my desires.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:15 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Also, if I spend my day lusting my brains out, either with memories, or images in my mind or external, it is also bound to lead to behaviors of my own making.
...But consuming half a pound of bacon can help with that. It's called "bacon sublimation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback

Lust is counter to love. It is selfish, self centered, and demeans my "neighbor". Lust is all about me, and my desires.

Lust, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. It's a human thing. Lust, in June's world, is not mutually exclusive from love. Lust is not necessarily self centered, when the one you lust for is the one you love. That, my friend, can be a thing of beauty, and a very beneficial form of self centeredness. Lust, in those moments, has very little to do with you, as without the beloved, there would be no object of that lust, or love.

Lust is not all about the "self." It's focused on another. The issue is whether the other illicits not just the lust, but the love, and how the two are inter-twined and inseparable.

And when they are, that, in fact, is a thing of beauty...

Take gentle merger care.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-25-2010 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,571,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
...But consuming half a pound of bacon can help with that. It's called "bacon sublimation."

Lust, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. It's a human thing. Lust, in June's world, is not mutually exclusive from love. Lust is not necessarily self centered, when the one you lust for is the one you love. That, my friend, can be a thing of beauty, and a very beneficial form of self centeredness. Lust, in those moments, has very little to do with you, as without the beloved, there would be no object of that lust, or love.

Lust is not all about the "self." It's focused on another. The issue is whether the other illicits not just the lust, but the love, and how the two are inter-twined and inseparable.

Take gentle merger care.
Yup! being "Just June"

Last edited by june 7th; 06-25-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

Lust, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. It's a human thing. Lust, in June's world, is not mutually exclusive from love. Lust is not necessarily self centered, when the one you lust far is the one you love. That, my friend, can be a thing of beauty, and a very beneficial form of self centeredness. Lust, in those moments, has very little to do with you, as without the beloved, there would be no object of that lust, or love.

Take gentle merger care.
I completely agree with you. We seem to have only a differnce in symantics.

BTW: I would be greatly helped in my quest for sainthood, if a person who will remain unmentioned, would stop talking about her beautifully rotund hips.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Ain't imagination great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

BTW: I would be greatly helped in my quest for sainthood, if a person who will remain unmentioned, would stop talking about her beautifully rotund hips.
Thou doth need not traumatize thyself with mental images that no man should ever have to behold! Spare thyself and thine soul from the horror! Turn back now!

Trust me: Bacon is better. Thus says the Lord.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 PM

P.S. But they are "just adorable."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity