Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:05 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
minneapolis msa 3,271,888. denver msa 2,629,980. minneapolis csa 3,604,460. denver csa 3,110,436. minneapolis has about 500,000 more people then denver. the city of denver has a density of 3,981 ppm where as minneapolis has a density of 7,106 ppm. denver 153.3 square miles city limits, minneapolis 54.9 square miles city limits.
Yeah, I was wrong about the population. I had included Boulder (which is continuous with Denver's metro), and thought there was more to boost up the numbers (CSA). But still, Minneapolis is not in a different league than Denver. Oh, and Denver having that huge airport in it's city limits brings down it's density (though, I'm not sure what density has to do with anything).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, I was wrong about the population. I had included Boulder (which is continuous with Denver's metro), and thought there was more to boost up the numbers (CSA). But still, Minneapolis is not in a different league than Denver. Oh, and Denver having that huge airport in it's city limits brings down it's density (though, I'm not sure what density has to do with anything).
What do you mean that you're not sure what denisty has to do with anything?

Densite has everything to do with anything... Denisty is the #1 determining a city's integrity in terms of who and which type and how many people live there. Did you know that Minneapolis has 390,000 people? Smaller than Omaha, smaller than Milwaukee, smaller than Riverside, smaller than nearly 50 other US cities. What people fail to realize is that this is in only 50 sq miles.

Jacksonville on the other hand has nearly 800,000 people. 800,000 people in over 100 sq miles though. LA has over 300 sq miles. Even if Minneapolis and St. Paul combined and became MinnePaul or St. Pauleapolis or whatevver, you'd be looking at a 700,000 city in over 100 sq miles. Many people fail to realize that the cities of MPLS and STP border each other, creating a continuity of one giant urban core of over 100 sq miles, thus increasing density.

Population #s alone fail to paint the real picture

Old 06-23-2010, 09:51 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Quote:
When it comes to corporate headquarters, GDP, education, and a few other areas, yes, the Twin Cities definitely rank well above Denver. If you want to throw the two in the same tier, that's fine, but Minneapolis is definitely at the top of that tier.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
When it comes to corporate headquarters, GDP, education, and a few other areas, yes, the Twin Cities definitely rank well above Denver. If you want to throw the two in the same tier, that's fine, but Minneapolis is definitely at the top of that tier.
I wouldn't say well above. Only slightly in a few areas. I'll give Denver things like the airport, transit, etc. Denver is a hotbed for government jobs, too, and the GDP of both are nearly identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
What do you mean that you're not sure what denisty has to do with anything?

Densite has everything to do with anything... Denisty is the #1 determining a city's integrity in terms of who and which type and how many people live there. Did you know that Minneapolis has 390,000 people? Smaller than Omaha, smaller than Milwaukee, smaller than Riverside, smaller than nearly 50 other US cities. What people fail to realize is that this is in only 50 sq miles.

Jacksonville on the other hand has nearly 800,000 people. 800,000 people in over 100 sq miles though. LA has over 300 sq miles. Even if Minneapolis and St. Paul combined and became MinnePaul or St. Pauleapolis or whatevver, you'd be looking at a 700,000 city in over 100 sq miles. Many people fail to realize that the cities of MPLS and STP border each other, creating a continuity of one giant urban core of over 100 sq miles, thus increasing density.

Population #s alone fail to paint the real picture
Density definitely is not "everything that has to do with anything". Urban areas are much better than just looking at city limit density. Who looks at city limits alone nowadays anyway?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say well above. Only slightly in a few areas. I'll give Denver things like the airport, transit, etc. Denver is a hotbed for government jobs, too, and the GDP of both are nearly identical.
Minneapolis GDP - 193.9B
Denver GDP - 150.8B
Not exactly identical.

As far as government jobs, as of May 2010, the Minneapolis area had 247,900 government jobs whereas the Denver area had 184,300 government sector jobs.
Mountain-Plains Information Office Home Page

Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Minneapolis GDP - 193.9B
Denver GDP - 150.8B
Not exactly identical.

As far as government jobs, as of May 2010, the Minneapolis area had 247,900 government jobs whereas the Denver area had 184,300 government sector jobs.
[url= Information Office Home Page[/url]
When going by GDPs, that's nearly identical (and I said nearly identical). Especially when Minneapolis has a higher metro population and more companies HQed there. Not to mention St. Paul is right there. Denver does it all alone. And Denver has always been considered the Washington DC of the west.

Minneapolis-St. Paul is a very interesting region. I would put it at the top of the tier that Denver, Portland, Seattle (this is debatable), etc., but to say it's well above those cities is false, in my opinion.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
When going by GDPs, that's nearly identical (and I said nearly identical). Especially when Minneapolis has a higher metro population and more companies HQed there. Not to mention St. Paul is right there. Denver does it all alone. And Denver has always been considered the Washington DC of the west.

Minneapolis-St. Paul is a very interesting region. I would put it at the top of the tier that Denver, Portland, Seattle (this is debatable), etc., but to say it's well above those cities is false, in my opinion.

See, I would put Denver, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Portland, Seattle and San Diego all in the same boat. All similar core city sizes, similar metro sizes, all fairly isolated, all clean cities, all 'smart' cities.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM

In regards to GDP, the two metropolitan areas are pretty close in size. The Minneapolis MSA is around 3.3 million and the Denver MSA is around 2.6 million. The GDP of Minneapolis however, is higher than that of Phoenix (MSA 4.4 million) and about to pass Detroit (MSA 4.4 million). Also, GDP has to do with the market value of all final goods and services produced within a metropolitan area so I'm not sure how you can tie company headquarters to the number. Finally, the fact that St. Paul borders Minneapolis really doesn't have anything to do with the area's GDP as there are over 330 suburbs in the TC metropolitan area.

BTW, I don't completely disagree with you Scarface713 as you do have valid points. It's just that I have lived in both cities/metros long enough to know the differences.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:52 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Makes you wonder if Delta did the right thing by expanding their Asia flying from Detroit instead of Minneapolis?

Only thing is that Detroit can support Nagoya while Minneapolis never could. However, beyond that, Minneapolis is further west and has a brighter future. I wonder is the slightly larger and slightly higher yielding O&D base is enough to overcome that.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Makes you wonder if Delta did the right thing by expanding their Asia flying from Detroit instead of Minneapolis?

Only thing is that Detroit can support Nagoya while Minneapolis never could. However, beyond that, Minneapolis is further west and has a brighter future. I wonder is the slightly larger and slightly higher yielding O&D base is enough to overcome that.

If it helps at all, the metros of Detroit and Minneapolis are very similar, IMO. keep in mind I am from MPLS and have family in Detroit area, and have only been there about 3 times.

But, maybe it's the 'midwest', maybe it's because of family, but I always thought the Detroit suburbs were similar to MPLS_STp.

And. Detroit isn't that scuzzy. I thought it was going to be much worse. YEs there were some very bad parts, but also had some really awesome parts. Honestly, Detroit is so over abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City