Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 03:24 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times

Advertisements

Michigan and Minnesota are similar states, which is no surprise considering they are both in the Upper Midwest. Detroit suburbs are denser than Mpls - STP suburbs, and usually less economically and ethnically diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 PM

335 posts, read 675,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Yeah, I was wrong about the population. I had included Boulder (which is continuous with Denver's metro), and thought there was more to boost up the numbers (CSA). But still, Minneapolis is not in a different league than Denver. Oh, and Denver having that huge airport in it's city limits brings down it's density (though, I'm not sure what density has to do with anything).
parts of the airport here are within the minneapolis city limits. i dont think that minneapolis is way ahead of denver, they are similar in many catagories.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:27 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
But Minneapolis's airport is no where near the land size of Denver's (which is the largest airport in the world, IIRC.). I agree with the other part of your post.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:37 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Below is a list of a few companies headquartered in the Minneapolis area. Is this dynamic enough for you?

Company Name - Revenue
Description

Cargill Inc. - $120B
Multinational agriculture company

UnitedHealth Group Inc. – $87.1B
Benefit design and implementation for companies, owns and operates health plans

Target Corp. – $65.4B
Retailer

Best Buy Co. Inc. - $49.7B
Retailer

Supervalu Inc. - $44.6B
Grocery wholesaler and retailer

CHS Inc. - $25.7B
Energy and agricultural cooperative

3M Co. – $23.1B
Global diversified technology company

U.S. Bancorp - $19.5B
Regional bank holding company

Medtronic Inc. - $15.5B
Medical device technologies

General Mills Inc. - $14.8B
Consumer foods

Land O'Lakes - $10.4B
Dairy

Mosaic Co. – $10.3B
Produces and distributes concentrated phosphate and potash crop nutrients, nitrogen fertilizers and feed ingredients.

Xcel Energy Inc. - $9.6B
Electric and natural gas utility

Ameriprise Financial Inc. - $7.9B
Diversified financial services

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Inc. - $7.6B
Transportation services and logistics support

Thrivent Financial for Lutherans - $6.5B
Financial services

Ecolab Inc. - $5.9B
Provides cleaning, sanitizing, food safety, infection control products and maintenance products and services

Nash Finch Co. - $5.2B
Food wholesaler and owner and operator of supermarkets

Alliant Techsystems Inc. – $4.8B
Develops aerospace and defense products and systems

St. Jude Medical Inc. - $4.7B
Makes cardiovascular medical devices

Carlson Companies - $4.3B
Owns hotel, restaurant, and travel franchises

Patterson Cos Inc. – $3.2B
Distributes dental, veterinary and rehabilitation supplies and equipment

Valspar Corp. - $2.9B
Makes paint and coatings

M A Mortenson - $2.8B
Construction

Pentair Inc. - $2.7B
A diversified operating company; Water Group makes products for the movement, treatment, storage and enjoyment of water; Technical Products Group makes standard, modified and custom enclosures that house and protect sensitive electronics

Rosen's Diversified
- $2.6B

Meat products

Andersen Corporation - $2.5B
Manufacturer of windows

Regis Corp. - $2.4B
Owns, operates and franchises hair salons in mall and strip-center locations

OneBeacon Insurance Group
- $2.4B

Offers a range of specialty and personal insurance products and services

Holiday Companies - $2.0B
Convenience stores

Polaris Industries Inc. - $1.6B
Makes snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles, garments and accessories

The Toro Co. – $1.5B
Makes turf maintenance equipment and precision irrigation systems for golf courses, sports fields, public green spaces, commercial and residential properties, and agricultural fields.

MoneyGram International Inc. - $1.2B
Provides global money transfer, money order and payment processing products and services

ADC Telecommunications Inc. - $1.1B
Provides communications network infrastructure and services worldwide

Gander Mountain Co. - $1.1B
Specialty retailer of outdoor goods

Life Time Fitness Inc. – $837M
Operates sports and athletic, professional fitness, family recreation and resort/spa centers

Lawson Software Inc. - $713.5M
Provides financial management, human resources, professional services automation, procurement, business intelligence and other business management related software

Fair Isaac Corp. (FICO) – $618.8M
Business analytics and decision management technology company

Select Comfort Corp. - $544.2M
Makes and sells adjustable-firmness beds and other sleep-related products

Buffalo Wild Wings Inc.
- 538.9M

Restaurant chain

Piper Jaffray Cos. - $482.5M
General securities brokerage, corporate and public finance

Securian Financial Group, Inc. - $339M
Financial services corporation

Capella Education Co. - $334.6M
Online post-secondary education services company specializing in master's and doctoral degrees.

Caribou Coffee Co. Inc. – $262.5M
Coffeehouses

Famous Dave's of America Inc. - $136M
Restaurant chain
It hurts to see Northwest Airlines no longer on this list!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:43 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What steel mills? I'm sure there were some, but the mills in the Twin Cities were based off of flour and surpassed Buffalo in terms of production eventually. Buffalo had both as well.
I think he is kidding. But actually, US Steel did have a plant in St Paul that closed in the 70s I believe. There is also a small steel mill in St Paul that is till operating. Neither are/were a very big part of the cities' economy, though.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 PM

335 posts, read 675,977 times
take away the airport and it is still not anywhere near 7,000 ppm. the only reason i brought up minneapolis density and square miles is because its hard for a city with only 54.9 square miles to get that big. there was a time when minneapolis had over 500,000 with a density well over 9,000 ppm hopefully it will get there again and im sure denvers population within the city limits will continue to rise. i wish minneapolis had over 100 square miles to work with because as of now it hardly brakes the top 50 largest and at one time it was in the top 11.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith21 View Post
take away the airport and it is still not anywhere near 7,000 ppm. the only reason i brought up minneapolis density and square miles is because its hard for a city with only 54.9 square miles to get that big. there was a time when minneapolis had over 500,000 with a density well over 9,000 ppm hopefully it will get there again and im sure denvers population within the city limits will continue to rise. i wish minneapolis had over 100 square miles to work with because as of now it hardly brakes the top 50 largest and at one time it was in the top 11.
Find me a zip code in Minneapolis that is 17.5k per square mile. Denver's 80203 has this.

But a better density comparison is listing the top its there zipe codes in density. I believe Denver's next most dense zips are around 11k.

And yes the houston poster is correct about the airport, which was never a part of the city until 1990 and takes up 50 sq miles alone. if you were to go to denver city you''d be mistaken and perhaps reckless to think its 3900 psm.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
In regards to GDP, the two metropolitan areas are pretty close in size. The Minneapolis MSA is around 3.3 million and the Denver MSA is around 2.6 million. The GDP of Minneapolis however, is higher than that of Phoenix (MSA 4.4 million) and about to pass Detroit (MSA 4.4 million). Also, GDP has to do with the market value of all final goods and services produced within a metropolitan area so I'm not sure how you can tie company headquarters to the number. Finally, the fact that St. Paul borders Minneapolis really doesn't have anything to do with the area's GDP as there are over 330 suburbs in the TC metropolitan area.
stanial
BTW, I don't completely disagree with you Scarface713 as you do have valid points. It's just that I have lived in both cities/metros long enough to know the differences.
Although I respect your view it is hardly supported by numbers. Denver has the largest number of Federal workers outside D.C. It has a mint, the 10th circuit courthouse, and a higher global city ranking than the MINN city and lets face it, Denver is a more desired destination and this is supported by public opinion any day of the week. In fact, I would venture to say the amount of people who vacation/visit Denver over Minneapolis is substantial.

I think MINN city is cool and is very underrated but come on your claiming it is way ahead of Denver. From our previous conversations I still think you really never got to know the mile high city. Living somewhere for a couple of years hardly qualifies someone as an "expert'. I know locals that know less about the city than I. Anybody who claims to know Denver must know about its federal workers presence. I mean the federal center alone has 6200 ppl from 26 different federal agencies.

Last edited by D-town 720; 06-23-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Why don't the numbers support anything he says? What does federal employment have to do with GDP or population?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Why don't the numbers support anything he says? What does federal employment have to do with GDP or population?
Did you read the post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City