Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 08:05 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
If the cities were fighters, I'd view Milwaukee as big and hulking, Pittsburgh as quick and more nimble. So technically, Milwaukee is stronger.

Why are y'all arguing? Both cities have their amenities but i do see Pittsburgh rebounding the most over the next 30 years. Just because it isn't there yet doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential.
This is what I don't get, if Pittsburgh is losing population faster than Cleveland and Detroit, then how exactly is Pittsburgh rebounding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:11 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
It is rebounding in terms of vitality. It takes a while for the word to get out that there are some very cool things in terms of quality of life there. That may result in population increases among the younger more mobile set. Besides bigger does not always equal better, think about traffic & overcrowding.

I understand the part about the retirees relocating to warmer climates and that causing the figures to continue to decline. I hadn't thought about it but it makes sense. Pgh does not have the typical demographic progression.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,762 times
Quote:
It is rebounding in terms of vitality. It takes a while for the word to get out that there are some very cool things in terms of quality of life there. That may result in population increases among the younger more mobile set. Besides bigger does not always equal better, think about traffic & overcrowding.

I understand the part about the retirees relocating to warmer climates and that causing the figures to continue to decline. I hadn't thought about it but it makes sense. Pgh does not have the typical demographic progression.
Do you guys live in bizarro world? Do you think old people in Milwaukee don't retire in FL and AZ? The term "snowbirds" specifically refers to people from the Upper Midwest and Canada who spend their winters in Sun Belt cities like Phoenix, Palm Springs, and Winter Park.

Pittsburgh's unemployment rate is damn near 9%, but because it's below the national average you guys think it's something you should be proud of. Milwaukee's unemployment rate is also near 9%, but you won't see us patting ourselves on the back because we have one of the higher unemployment rates in WI.

Nobody is moving to Pittsburgh whether they be young, old, or foreign born. At least Milwaukee has always enjoyed a healthy immigrant population. In the past it was Germans, Polish, Irish, and Italians, nowadays it's Mexicans, Vietnamese, Laotians, and Serbians.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:14 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
I'm curious what draws the immigrants to milwaukee? What kinds of occupations do they have?

Not being hateful, just want to know.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
I'm curious what draws the immigrants to milwaukee? What kinds of occupations do they have?

Not being hateful, just want to know.
Basically spillover from Chicago.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
This is what I don't get, if Pittsburgh is losing population faster than Cleveland and Detroit, then how exactly is Pittsburgh rebounding?
Where do you keep getting this from....Stop with the Bullsh*t both cities lost twice as much as Pittsburgh in the recent census....

Old 09-11-2010, 04:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Basically spillover from Chicago.
That's what I thought. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh gets spillover from...

Old 09-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Where do you keep getting this from....Stop with the Bullsh*t both cities lost twice as much as Pittsburgh in the recent census....
Why don't you provide some sources?

Old 09-11-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
By shedding economic dead weight, that's how. Not everybody is economically viable.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Why don't you provide some sources?
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...n-houston.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City