Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
No Steelers

Seriously though, I think it probably is due to the fact that downtown Pitt has a more vibrant core. Not to say that Milwuakee is bad, but I think Pitt has more going on in that arena...

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't doubt Pittsburgh has a better downtown than Milwaukee (that's not a very hard feat to accomplish), but I would argue that our perimeter neighborhoods like East Town, the Lower East Side, Riverwest, Brewer's Hill, the Third Ward, Walker's Point, Bay View, etc. could go toe-to-toe with any trendy neighborhood in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Pittsburgh also seems to edge out Milwuakee in terms of Fortune 500 companies, but just barely...

Fortune 500 2009: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com
Both Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are home to 8 Fortune 500 companies in their metro areas. According to the link you provided, Milwaukee was home to 5 F500's in 2009 in just the city alone, while Pittsburgh was home to 6. The 2010 edition of the same list has Milwaukee with 6 in the city and Pittsburgh with 5.

Fortune 500 2010: Annual ranking of America's largest corporations from Fortune Magazine
Fortune 500 2010: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

Last edited by EastSideMKE; 09-06-2010 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Care to list where you got these stats????

No way is Pittsburgh under 300k in population.....
There's conflicting numbers for Pittsburgh's population. Wikipedia lists Pittsburgh's population at 316,718 as of 2006, while ACS lists it as 295,988 as of 2008. Either way it's still a net loss from 2000, not to mention the metro area as a whole is declining as well.

Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pittsburgh city, Pennsylvania - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Care to list some stats saying Downtown Pittsburgh has a workforce of 300,000? Demographia lists it at 95,600.

http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Quote:
You're comparing NE and ID to Pittsburgh....So I think Pittsburgh is more of a desitination than those places. Not hard to figure out.
Actually, Sioux Falls is in South Dakota not Idaho. IDK if I would describe Pittsburgh, or any of the Rust Belt cities for that matter, as "destinations."

Quote:
Yes Really it is - Pittsburgh is number 6 according to Forbes in Tech Cities

http://alleghenyconference.org/PDFs/...10TechCity.pdf

As well Pittsburgh has 8 Fortune 500 companies 10 if you count Companies with great presence in the Burgh but not or no longered HQ'd

Pittsburgh has and always had a significant Financial Presence....
Milwaukee has 8 F500's as well.

Milwaukee is leading the way in "green collar" jobs. Ingateam and Talgo, both Spanish firms, have chosen to set up operations in Milwaukee where they will manufacture wind turbines and high speed trains in formerly abandoned sites in the Menominee River Valley. Johnson Controls is a major manufacturer of batteries for hybrid vehicles.

Milwaukee is also a major player in the financial sector and is home to Northwestern Mutual, Northern Trust, Robert W. Baird & Assoc., Fiserv, Guaranty Bank, and M&I Bank.

Quote:
About the age - Ok Pittsburgh has the highest median age...so why is it so hard to believe the old are dying off quicker than the birth rate....Pittsburgh's largest inward migrated age group has been 25-36yr olds

So yes the city is becoming more young and affluent....and a harder place to make a living for the Uneducated

Pittsburgh's young workforce among top 5 most educated in US
Whatever the case may be, the city of Pittsburgh as well as its surrounding suburban counties are continuing to lose population, which is never a good thing.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
So a downtown is only vibrant AFTER 6pm??????? And as I said the Cultural District isn't doing to bad for itself as far as nightlife...
I can needlessly flood the thread with images of Milwaukee too.

Broadway in the Third Ward

Old World 3rd St.

Milwaukee Riverwalk

Milwaukee Art Museum

Jazz In The Park at Cathedral Square

Bradford Beach

Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Does Milwuakee get rated "most livable city" the way Pittsburgh does year-in and year-out?

Forbes once again names Pittsburgh 'Most Livable City' - Pittsburgh Business Times
Being named the most livable city one time is not "year-in and year-out." In 2009, Pittsburgh was #10 on the same list. Besides, the list has only been around for 2 years.

America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com(2010)

America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com(2009)

Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Milwaukee does get ignored a lot, though. Maybe Forbes is guilty of it too.
That Forbes list is heavily slanted towards the Northeast, damn near half the cities were in New England.

BTW, Forbes does show Milwaukee a lot of love too.

Best Cities For Singles 2009 - Forbes.com
1. New York City
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Seattle
5. Washington D.C.
6. Atlanta
7. San Francisco
8. Los Angeles
9. Milwaukee
10. Philadelphia
11. Austin
12. San Diego
13. Denver-Aurora
14. Cleveland
15. Providence
16. Portland
17. Dallas
18. Buffalo
19. Minneapolis
20. Virginia Beach-Norfolk
21. Baltimore
22. Las Vegas
23. St. Louis
24. Pittsburgh
25. Houston
26. Orlando
27. San Antonio
28. Columbus
29. Miami
30. Phoenix
31. Indianapolis
32. Charlotte
33. Tampa-St. Petersburg
34. Detroit
35. Sacramento
36. Memphis
37. Kansas City
38. Cincinnati
39. Salt Lake City
40. Jacksonville

America's Drunkest Cities - Forbes.com
1. Milwaukee
2. Minneapolis-St. Paul
3. Columbus
4. Boston
5. Austin
6. Chicago
7. Cleveland
8. Pittsburgh
9. Philadelphia
9. Providence
11. St. Louis
12. San Antonio
12. Seattle
14. Las Vegas
15. Denver/Boulder
16. Cincinnati
16. Kansas City
18. Houston
19. Portland
20. San Francisco-Oakland
20. Washington-Baltimore
22. Phoenix
23. Los Angeles
24. New Orleans
24. Tampa
26. Norfolk
27. Dallas-Fort Worth
28. Atlanta
28. Detroit
30. Indianapolis
31. Orlando
32. New York
33. Miami
34. Charlotte
35. Nashville

Where To Educate Your Children - Forbes.com
1. Washington, D.C.-Arlington, Va.
2. Madison, Wis.
3. Cambridge-Newton-Framingham, Mass.
4. Baltimore-Towson, Md.
5. Akron, Ohio
6. Columbus, Ohio
7. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y.
8. Syracuse, N.Y.
9. St. Louis, Mo.
10. Ann Arbor, Mich.
11. Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minn.-Bloomington, Minn.
12. Richmond, Va.
13. Rochester, N.Y.
14. Wilmington, Del. and surrounding Maryland and New Jersey
15. Hartford-West Hartford, Conn.
16. Lexington-Fayette, Ky.
17. Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, Wis.
18. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.
19. Columbia, Mo.
20. Durham, N.C.

Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com
1. San Francisco, Calif.
2. Boston, Mass.
3. Houston, Texas
4. New York. N.Y.
5. Minneapolis, Minn.
6. Washington, D.C.
7. Chicago, Ill.
8. Charlotte, N.C.
9. Milwaukee, Wis.
10. Austin, Texas
11. San Diego, Calif.
12. Raleigh, N.C.
13. Pittsburgh, Pa.
14. Philadelphia, Pa.
15. St. Louis, Mo.
16. Nashville, Tenn.
17. Atlanta, Ga.
18. Dallas, Texas
19. Seattle, Wash.
20. Denver, Colo.
21. Portland, Ore.
22. Los Angeles, Calif.
23. Cincinnati, Ohio
24. New Orleans, La.
25. Columbus, Ohio
26. Kansas City, Mo./Kan.
27. Cleveland, Ohio
28. Sacramento, Calif.
29. San Antonio, Texas
30. Indianapolis, Ind.
31. Phoenix, Ariz.
32. Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Va.
33. Detroit, Mich.
34. Buffalo, N.Y.
35. Providence, R.I.
36. Salt Lake City, Utah
37. Orlando, Fla.
38. Las Vegas, Nev.
39. Miami, Fla.
40. Tampa, Fla.

Ten Cities For Job Growth In 2009 - Forbes.com
1. Madison, Wis.
2.Washington, D.C.
3. Boston, Mass.
4. Richmond, Va.
5. Milwaukee, Wis.
6. Pittsburgh, Pa.
7. Baltimore, Md.
8. Seattle, Wash.
9. Houston, Texas
10. Dallas, Texas

Best And Worst Cities For Commuters - Forbes.com
1. Buffalo, N.Y.
2. Salt Lake City, Utah
3. Milwaukee, Wis.
4. Oklahoma City, Okla.
5. Pittsburgh, Pa.
6. Cleveland, Ohio
7. Hartford, Conn.
8. Kansas City, Mo.
9. Cincinnati, Ohio
10. Richmond, Va.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:29 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
You didnt just say this...my eyes must be deciving me....

or this

Implies to me that in your book a Downtown is only Vibrant if its livley after 6pm...
It implies it "to you," but that's not remotely close to what I actually said.

Quote:
Because your making blatant statement without all the facts...sure downtown Pittsburgh for the most part shuts down after the work hours....Because Pittsburgh downtown was largely a CBD, a place to do business and nothing more...People went to the neighborhoods for their living and nightlife activities....and its still pretty much this way today...but look at Downtown Pittsburgh during the business day (you know before your 6pm benchmark) and it just as bustling and vibrant as the Loop or Midtown Manhattan.

Now I admit I don't know what Milwaukee's Downtown looks likes if it rivals Pittsburgh then that just great or if it transforms into Manhattan after 6pm even better.
No, I'm not making a "blanket statement," I made a generalization. And I made it based on personal experience having spent plenty of time in both. And it is my opinion, based on that experience, that Milwaukee's downtown is more vibrant. As you say, "Pittsburgh doesnt [sic] depend on Downtown for Nightlife activity." Well, Milwaukee does in part; unlike Pittsburgh, downtown is one of Milwaukee's more prominent nightlife areas. That's part of what makes it more vibrant than downtown Pittsburgh, in my opinion. I don't know why that opinion bothers you so much that you have to imagine things I said and respond defensively to your own imagination, especially if "Pittsburgh doesnt [sic] depend on Downtown for Nightlife activity." If it doesn't matter, stop being so defensive about it.

It honestly doesn't matter one bit to me which city's downtown is more vibrant than the other. As I've made clear before, I don't consider Pittsburgh's "closed at 6pm" downtown a weakness or a detriment to its livability. And I don't even like Milwaukee all that much. I simply offered a counter-opinion to someone's claim that Pittsburgh gets more attention than Milwaukee because its downtown core is more vibrant. Having experienced both, that interpretation makes no sense to me. Of all the reasons why Pittsburgh gets more attention than Milwaukee, that one doesn't even register.

Last edited by Drover; 09-06-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideMKE View Post
I can needlessly flood the thread with images of Milwaukee too.

Broadway in the Third Ward

Old World 3rd St.

Milwaukee Riverwalk

Milwaukee Art Museum

Jazz In The Park at Cathedral Square

Bradford Beach
That's nice, and does Milwaukee have Vibrant Neighborhoods such as this???? Please show me.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/14949058-post61.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/14949344-post62.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/14949459-post63.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/14949590-post64.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/14949674-post66.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/14949790-post68.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/14950175-post69.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/14950236-post70.html

Old 09-06-2010, 01:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
There's conflicting numbers for Pittsburgh's population. Wikipedia lists Pittsburgh's population at 316,718 as of 2006, while ACS lists it as 295,988 as of 2008. Either way it's still a net loss from 2000, not to mention the metro area as a whole is declining as well.
Like I've said before, Pittsburgh is simply shedding economic dead weight these days. It's addition by subtraction. The people who luckily hung onto their jobs in the 1980's are all older now, and they're the primary component of population loss. (Most of the people who leave Pittsburgh these days are over the age of 55.) Furthermore, since the birth rate in the region is very low, there aren't enough births to offset the deaths.

The main reason the birth rate is so low is because smart people don't breed. (This has been proven true of any society in the world.) Child-bearing age in the U.S. is roughly 25 to 44, and Pittsburghers in that age range are college-educated at a rate well above the national average. This high educational attainment among the younger adult population is one of many reasons why I strongly object to anybody referring to Pittsburgh as a "dying" city, and why I believe that anybody, especially self-loathing Pittsburghers, who say that "all the smart people leave," deserve to be slapped.

The only thing Pittsburgh needs to improve is its rate of foreign immigration, which is too low. Milwaukee is in a good situation there, as it a) never had to reinvent its entire economy, and b) enjoys spillover from Chicago. Because Pittsburgh had to completely change its raison d'etre over the last 25 years, it largely missed out on a wave of foreign immigrants from Asia and Latin America. Furthermore, Pittsburgh doesn't have Chicago nearby to siphon from.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,898,719 times
Quote:
Being named the most livable city one time is not "year-in and year-out." In 2009, Pittsburgh was #10 on the same list. Besides, the list has only been around for 2 years.

America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com(2010)

America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com(2009)
Don't just quote Forbes - a number of nation publication rated Pittsburgh "The Most Livable" city....so obviously the population loss is not so black and white to them......

Pittsburgh ranked tops in U.S. by The Economist

The World’s Most Livable Cities 2010 : Marquette Turner Luxury Homes

Pittsburgh rated 'most livable' once again

Don't worry with all the positive press Pittsburgh will turn positive soon enough...It's supposedly already happening.

Pittsburgh's population expected to grow in a few years

Pittsburgh Metro Area Sees Increase In Population - kdka.com

Census: More people arrive than leave for first time in almost 20 years - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Like I've said before, Pittsburgh is simply shedding economic dead weight these days. It's addition by subtraction. The people who luckily hung onto their jobs in the 1980's are all older now, and they're the primary component of population loss. (Most of the people who leave Pittsburgh these days are over the age of 55.) Furthermore, since the birth rate in the region is very low, there aren't enough births to offset the deaths.
No matter how you try to rationalize it, losing population is never positive. If it were just the city that would be one thing, but it's the whole metro area that's declining, at a faster rate than Cleveland or Detroit I might add.

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The main reason the birth rate is so low is because smart people don't breed. (This has been proven true of any society in the world.) Child-bearing age in the U.S. is roughly 25 to 44, and Pittsburghers in that age range are college-educated at a rate well above the national average. This high educational attainment among the younger adult population is one of many reasons why I strongly object to anybody referring to Pittsburgh as a "dying" city, and why I believe that anybody, especially self-loathing Pittsburghers, who say that "all the smart people leave," deserve to be slapped.
Never said you were dying, but you're not doing nearly as well as you and the rest of the Pitt homers are portraying.

Brookings - Quality. Independence. Impact.
% with bachelor's degree
1. Washington D.C. Metro Area: 46.8%
2. Bridgeport, CT: 43.8%
3. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA: 43.5%
4. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA: 43.4%
5. Boston-Cambridge, MA: 41.9%
6. Raleigh, NC: 41.5%
7. Madison, WI: 39.8%
8. Austin, TX: 38.2%
9. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN: 37.6%
10. Denver-Aurora, CO: 37.5%

Quote:
The only thing Pittsburgh needs to improve is its rate of foreign immigration, which is too low. Milwaukee is in a good situation there, as it a) never had to reinvent its entire economy, and b) enjoys spillover from Chicago. Because Pittsburgh had to completely change its raison d'etre over the last 25 years, it largely missed out on a wave of foreign immigrants from Asia and Latin America. Furthermore, Pittsburgh doesn't have Chicago nearby to siphon from.
"Pittsburgh doesn't have Chicago nearby to siphon from." Good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City