Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 12:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times

Advertisements

here is the post again: click on his link for the 2010 and see what you get. you are acting like I calculated stuff, it is from his link, I didn't calculate anything. no numerator denominator nonsense. Only Phillies have the energy for all that nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post

Here are other 2010 urbanized area estimates form Demographia/Wiki>>>>>
List of urban areas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other parameters >>>>>
Media Info Center (http://www.mediainfocenter.org/compare/top50/#tv - broken link)

ProAdvance Event Resource Guide: Top 50 Media Markets in the U.S.

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)

Digital Syndicate Network - Top 100 U.S. Television Markets

List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wapedia - Wiki: List of cities by GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
HTown since I started posted I have ALWAYS said UA is a better metric to compare urban place sizes. DMA is the best to describe area population. And for the record again I will state because neither if contiginent on municipal boundary (well UA is but they are built on census block which is a like characteristic accross all metros)
MSA, CSA, and City are dissimilar between areas because they combine areas that are influenced by municipal land area.

so if UA is a better metric why don't you use it to compare the city's aspect? you never do, you only compare the relative UA size.

Why don't you compare the relative UA densities?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
so if UA is a better metric why don't you use it to compare the city's aspect? you never do, you only compare the relative UA size.

Why don't you compare the relative UA densities?

Read back three pages HTown - I did - you responded and commented. WTF

Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Read back three pages HTown - I did - you responded and commented. WTF
You posted a list to show that your UA density was higher than what the list of your fellow PA poster stated. you have never once compared density at the UA level during any of your other density comparisons.

and after the list you still had the nerve to say that your city density was bigger at the UA level even though your own stats said otherwise.

@ y'alls Nefarious attempts at deception

Old 09-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
You posted a list to show that your UA density was higher than what the list of your fellow PA poster stated. you have never once compared density at the UA level during any of your other density comparisons.

and after the list you still had the nerve to say that your city density was bigger at the UA level even though your own stats said otherwise.

@ y'alls Nefarious attempts at deception

Please show WHERE exactly I said this HTOWN, WTF are you talking about. I said the population of the UA was bigger. I really think you can not comprehend things, WTF read back and please do NOT accuse me of theings I NEVER said!

Please read back, and show me exactly where I made such a statement or please apologize for making a false statement directed at me for something I absolutely did not say!

In fact i further clarified it again which you repsonded earlier, I am thinking I understand where the true dense issue is here

Please do not make personal claims against me that are just flat out incorrect, that is slanderous

Old 09-23-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Please show WHERE exactly I said this HTOWN, WTF are you talking about.

right here, plain as daylight:

Quote:
Here is the density ranking from the Census listing
6. Phoenix 3638 (SUNBELT who is always slammed)
11. Houston 2951 (SUNBELT)
12. Dallas 2946 (SUNBELT)
13. Philly 2861

So yes you are right the density of the UAs in Philly, Houston and Dallas are all very comprable, just Philly is sizably larger

you said the density is comparable but philly's is much larger

Old 09-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
right here, plain as daylight:

you said the density is comparable but philly's is much larger

Yes much larger on population of the UA, comparable on the density of the UA populations. I also reiteraterated and clarified this in a post right after when you first misread HTown

Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yes much larger on population of the UA, comparable on the density of the UA populations. I also reiteraterated and clarified this in a post right after when you first misread HTown
I did not misread it, you send it clearly. next time say what you mean and mean what you say.

type slower

Old 09-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I did not misread it, you send it clearly. next time say what you mean and mean what you say.

type slower

I did

Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Wow...12 pages of a debate over Philly vs Houston. Let's move on?

kidphilly, I asked you a question about the definition of urban area back on page one, but you probably didn't even see it or you forgot about responding in the flurry of the off-topic discussion - I'm not sure which. Anyway, I was wondering if urban area density isn't more reflective of the built environment rather than of population...or in other words, isn't the more important characterstic that of the density of buildings instead of the density of people? An urban area has SO many different districts that are zoned with particular types of buildings in mind, so lots of urban area districts won't be very densely populated. Of course, mixed-use is the way to go, but there seem to be many urban areas of every city that are more inclined to a single use - commercial, warehouse, industrial, residential, etc.

It just seem as if there are several different aspects to an urban area, and population density is only one way to define it. What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City