Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the liveliest?
Memphis 5 4.13%
New Orleans 15 12.40%
Atlanta 57 47.11%
Philadelphia 13 10.74%
DC 31 25.62%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:29 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
The issue is that Atlanta's scene is ranked higher or seen as better simply because it's more glorified. I've honestly never heard anyone speak so highly of Atlanta's AA nightlife scene outside of CD. What can I do in ATL as a black man that I can't do in Houston?? Answer that for me.
Honestly that's a question I'd like to see answered because I really don't hear anything about Houston's nightlife. As an outsider, the city in Texas I hear the most about as far as nightlife goes is Austin. I mean with Houston's size I know there has to be a decent nightlife scene there but you just don't really hear anything about it--at least from my perspective.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Honestly that's a question I'd like to see answered because I really don't hear anything about Houston's nightlife. As an outsider, the city in Texas I hear the most about as far as nightlife goes is Austin. I mean with Houston's size I know there has to be a decent nightlife scene there but you just don't really hear anything about it--at least from my perspective.
I too haven't heard much, but people from Texas claim that Houston has a great nightlife. I would like to experience myself and report back.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:

Houston for its size is probably the least discussed (well at least outside of these forums). I often wonder for a place of its size there is virtually no mention be that good or bad. Of the ten largest metros it seems the least top of mind for whatever reason.

From a "n" of one I have had good times in Houston personally; to me I would give a slight edge on nightlife to the ATL but I am the wrong demographic for this particular discussion, moreso wanted to respond to your "you dont hear anything " comment of which I mostly concur and for the city as a whole; odd really

Old 06-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Houston for its size is probably the least discussed (well at least outside of these forums). I often wonder for a place of its size there is virtually no mention be that good or bad. Of the ten largest metros it seems the least top of mind for whatever reason.

From a "n" of one I have had good times in Houston personally; to me I would give a slight edge on nightlife to the ATL but I am the wrong demographic for this particular discussion, moreso wanted to respond to your "you dont hear anything " comment of which I mostly concur and for the city as a whole; odd really
Yeah it is. Even beyond nightlife to just the overall social scene for any demographic (yuppies, buppies, gays, college kids, punk rock, etc.), I just don't have a good grasp as to where Houston fits. I might be visiting the city next week and may get an idea, but you're right, it's just a bit perplexing--not good or bad, just perplexing.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
You get different vibes within the city of Houston and I doubt Atlanta is really doing anything unique or different than Houston. It's no New Orleans; where the club scene and culture is unlike anywhere else.

The issue is that Atlanta's scene is ranked higher or seen as better simply because it's more glorified. I've honestly never heard anyone speak so highly of Atlanta's AA nightlife scene outside of CD. What can I do in ATL as a black man that I can't do in Houston?? Answer that for me.

You keep bringing up this energy and vibe, but what makes it unique?? The only things you guys have to show for that is simple youtube videos and celebrities?? What's unique about that. Houston has celebrities hitting up the city daily and quite frankly; them and their wack parties do nothing for me. DC has GOGO and Houston has C&S; while these types of sounds aren't really respected and appreciated outside of their cities; it's different.
The video's alone do show something unique about Atlanta. They are visual proof that there are just way more celebrity sponsored and or attended events in Atlanta's nightlife scene. You say yeah we got that too and so does D.C., Philly, and New Orleans. But I did my research because others from Houston said the same and from what I can manage to find Houston maybe has like one such even for like every five in Atlanta (and that's being generous to Houston) and it has no huge events like BET weekend or Luda Days or AUC homecoming that brings like a whole week of parties of all sorts from celebrity to whatever.

I can totally understand if you are not into celebrity type events but you can't just sit there and say big deal we got them too with out proof. Those videos of mine you are belittling are proof that Atlanta has more of this than any other city besides New York, L.A. and maybe, just maybe Miami.

And whether you like those type events or not another fact relevant to the thread title is Metro Atlanta does have like atleast 300,000 more black females than Metro Houston according to Black Demographics.com putting it ahead of every other American Metro except New York City. That's got to count for something when it comes to entertainment for an AA Male.

No disrespect to Houston. I know it has a lively underground urban music scene (most major cities in the U.S. do nowadays) and I respect it's Hip Hop legacy but most people don't realize Atlanta has a very strong local music scene other than crunk, or other pop commercial types of hip hop.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-27-2011 at 02:40 PM..

Old 06-27-2011, 01:46 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
The video's alone do show something unique about Atlanta. They are visual proof that there are just way more celebrity sponsored and or attended events in Atlanta's nightlife scene. You say yeah we got that too and so does D.C., Philly, and New Orleans. But I did my research because others from Houston said the same and from what I can manage to find Houston maybe has like one such even for like every five in Atlanta (and that's being generous to Houston) and it has no huge events like BET weekend or Luda Days or AUC homecoming that brings like a whole week of parties of all sorts from celebrity to whatever.

I can totally understand if you are not into celebrity type events but you can't just sit there and say big deal we got them too with out proof. Those videos of mine you are belittling are proof that Atlanta has more of this than any other city besides New York, L.A. and maybe, just maybe Miami.

And rather you like those type events or not another fact relevant to the thread title is Metro Atlanta does have like atleast 300,000 more black females than Metro Houston according to Black Demographics.com putting it ahead of every other American Metro except New York City. That's got to count for something when it comes to entertainment for an AA Male.

No disrespect to Houston. I know it has a lively underground urban music scene (most major cities in the U.S. do nowadays) and I respect it's Hip Hop legacy but most people don't realize Atlanta has a very strong local music scene other than crunk, or other pop commercial types of hip hop.
That is one aspect. The other (and I thought this would be obvious but if one hasn't been here I can see why it wouldn't) is our abundance of, uh, "houses of gentlemanly entertainment" aka strip clubs.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
I realize your offended, but if you put your personally feelings and biases aside for a minute and actually read my post; you'd had seen why Houston doesn't get much attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

And rather you like those type events or not another fact relevant to the thread title is Metro Atlanta does have like atleast 300,000 more black females than Metro Houston according to Black Demographics.com putting it ahead of every other American Metro except New York City. That's got to count for something when it comes to entertainment for an AA Male.

As I mentioned earlier; Houston lacks the attention and publicity of cities like Atlanta. On top of that; its cultural amenities and aspects are overshadowed by other large cities in Texas. Anyone knows when it comes to Texas instead of speaking about the positives are anything outside of the western elements of it; it's ignored.

As for the rest of your comment; your just proving what I already said. You guys keep pushing this celebrity thing as if it's an amazing selling point, but no it's not unique or different. As far as black events; your right, but Atlanta has a larger black population so that should be expected.

As far as your research skills; you might want to practice because they suck. Houston offer plenty of events, but since we're speaking about just black oriented events; of course Atlanta is going to offer more, but Houston isn't lacking.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I realize your offended, but if you put your personally feelings and biases aside for a minute and actually read my post; you'd had seen why Houston doesn't get much attention.
I'm not offended and I still don't know why Houston lacks that attention, but I guess it is what it is.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier; Houston lacks the attention and publicity of cities like Atlanta. On top of that; its cultural amenities and aspects are overshadowed by other large cities in Texas. Anyone knows when it comes to Texas instead of speaking about the positives are anything outside of the western elements of it; it's ignored.

As for the rest of your comment; your just proving what I already said. You guys keep pushing this celebrity thing as if it's an amazing selling point, but no it's not unique or different. As far as black events; your right, but Atlanta has a larger black population so that should be expected.

As far as your research skills; you might want to practice because they suck. Houston offer plenty of events, but since we're speaking about just black oriented events; of course Atlanta is going to offer more, but Houston isn't lacking.
I'm not saying Houston doesn't offer a lot but Atlanta has much more than it's greater number of AA's would warrant. This is because of the influence of the music industry here.

People don't want to except that Atlanta has that much more going on when it's not that much bigger than their town (or in the case of Houston, smaller) but what you fail to realize is that while Houston does have a few big name artist there the music industry and other entertainment has been huge in Atlanta for years now. The number of artist that live here is way more than what lives in Houston add to that artist from out of town come to Atlanta more often and stay here longer on business than they do in Houston and other towns often partying while they are here. For instance Nikki Minaj or Drake may visit Houston because they have a tour date there but Atlanta not only do they do a tour date here but they stop here to do collaborations with label mates and other local artist that live here. Or to spend time recording in popular studios used by artist all over the nation or to get some beats from big time producers or to film a music video or attend an awards show. That's why artist like them and Common and P. Diddy (who has a house and restaurant in Atlanta) and Rick Ross are seen in clubs here over and over again all year where they may only visit Houston once a year at the most. Then there are lots of old greats that have retired to and settled down in Atlanta but still produce and D.J. and stuff like Warren G, Too Short, Biz Markie, Keith Sweat, India Arie, etc. etc.

I'm not asking you to say that celebrity parties are all that but you're just pretending if you think Houston has any where near the number of them that Atlanta has is all I'm saying.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 PM

A lot of talk about how grimy and tough urban folk in D.C. can be jogged my memory about something and got me trying to remember.

Years ago I remember watching a movie about some street thugs or what ever living in D.C. The only thing I can remember about it was it was the first time I had heard the term "Bama" used (the characters said it over and over) and there was a character on the show (a stick up kid) everyone called "10:30" because he always tried to get home to watch the the 10:30pm news so he could see the reports of the robberies and shootings he committed.

If anybody out there from D.C. remembers and knows the name of this movie could you please refresh me on this? I can't for the life of me recall what it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City