Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the liveliest?
Memphis 5 4.13%
New Orleans 15 12.40%
Atlanta 57 47.11%
Philadelphia 13 10.74%
DC 31 25.62%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 AM

149 posts, read 161,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
compared to the ATL? no way

ATL is the manhattan of black culture

sorry DC

YO John. I heard that pimp hand is WAAY STRONG. Why don't you go to Memphis this year... check that out for me.
I bet they know how to drop it REAL REAL GOOD.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly born Jersey raised View Post
I kinda remeber catchin dudes down in DC wearin Philly & NY caps last time I was there.Also if your over 40 still "PERCULATIN" tryin to capture youth you wont no about the hot spots that stay open till 3 so stick to Pennslanding you DUCK.

First, you would get beat up if you wear a Philles hat in DC. Second, most dudes wear Nationals hats. The capri comment is relevant son. Most people from Philly and Jersey listen to Bmore club music. So stop fakin and start perculating. LOL.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
compared to the ATL? no way

ATL is the manhattan of poor, dirty south, crunk juice, black culture

sorry DC
Fixed it for you!

Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •|~ View Post
I could go in but I'm new on here. I do admire the Washingtonian trait of trying too hard though. That's not needed in Philadelphia [ and Stamford, Jersey City, and Bridgeport] because we just do things naturally. JFK basically acknowledge DC's Southern. It's okay, Washington is a neat town. That's not a slam.
You must be lame! DC never ever has to try to be hard. You fear DC slim. If you come to the DMV, we will laugh at you with your capris on and perculating dance moves.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:48 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You must be lame! DC never ever has to try to be hard. You fear DC slim. If you come to the DMV, we will laugh at you with your capris on and perculating dance moves.
where are you gettin this bmore club music thing from? I've never heard that in all my life. Capri pants? You do realize that alot of philly bols are muslim? Make fun of thier religion and they will murk you, thats no joke. I'm not tryna sound hard or nuthin, i'm jus lettin you know, for your own safety if you ever find yourself in philly. Perculatin? Who does that? Philly is not big on clubbin, trickin, and actin all hype like dc and the south. Its obvious that you've never actually been to philly before. You should visit sometime. You would prolly like it.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
where are you gettin this bmore club music thing from? I've never heard that in all my life. Capri pants? You do realize that alot of philly bols are muslim? Make fun of thier religion and they will murk you, thats no joke. I'm not tryna sound hard or nuthin, i'm jus lettin you know, for your own safety if you ever find yourself in philly. Perculatin? Who does that? Philly is not big on clubbin, trickin, and actin all hype like dc and the south. Its obvious that you've never actually been to philly before. You should visit sometime. You would prolly like it.

So you are saying that the Philly/Jersey crowd doesn't listen to Bmore club music and rock capri's? Come on son. I'm in Philly too often to not see that. I also see the muslim cats. As for the murk comment, I am from DC, so no hood scares me homey.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
So you are saying that the Philly/Jersey crowd doesn't listen to Bmore club music and rock capri's? Come on son. I'm in Philly too often to not see that. I also see the muslim cats. As for the murk comment, I am from DC, so no hood scares me homey.
nobody listens to bmore club music. The capri pants you speak of is religous garb. Its not about being scared, it's about knowing you can get touched no matter where your at. Its not where your from, it's where your at. What are you?14? Your in philly often? Where do you hang out at?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:09 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You get different vibes within the city of Houston and I doubt Atlanta is really doing anything unique or different than Houston. It's no New Orleans; where the club scene and culture is unlike anywhere else.

The issue is that Atlanta's scene is ranked higher or seen as better simply because it's more glorified. I've honestly never heard anyone speak so highly of Atlanta's AA nightlife scene outside of CD. What can I do in ATL as a black man that I can't do in Houston?? Answer that for me.

You keep bringing up this energy and vibe, but what makes it unique?? The only things you guys have to show for that is simple youtube videos and celebrities?? What's unique about that. Houston has celebrities hitting up the city daily and quite frankly; them and their wack parties do nothing for me. DC has GOGO and Houston has C&S; while these types of sounds aren't really respected and appreciated outside of their cities; it's different.

Nightlife gets out by word of mouth, first When a city has great nightlife people are going to constantly talk about it over and over again in your words glorify it. I told you earlier this reputation came way before media as Atlanta grew to be the hotspot for African americans to party in the 80s and 90s You probably can do the same thing in Atlanta that you can in Houston but at what magnitude. And the amount of celebrity parties and events that are held here. Houston could never match. Houston just doesnt have that it factor thats why no one ever talks about it are mentions it around the USA when it comes to AA culture nightlife and events Your going to Always here DC NYC or ATL thats a fact. ATLs nighlife is global my friend. When they want the true black experience in NIghtlife for AAs they come here, DC or NYC History has lead to that. And on top of that its a plus for me because I am a black gay male So I get the best of both worlds Top hetero black nightlife and Gay nightlife. So im more then filled with lots to do.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Nightlife gets out by word of mouth, first When a city has great nightlife people are going to constantly talk about it over and over again in your words glorify it. I told you earlier this reputation came way before media as Atlanta grew to be the hotspot for African americans to party in the 80s and 90s You probably can do the same thing in Atlanta that you can in Houston but at what magnitude. And the amount of celebrity parties and events that are held here. Houston could never match. Houston just doesnt have that it factor thats why no one ever talks about it are mentions it around the USA when it comes to AA culture nightlife and events Your going to Always here DC NYC or ATL thats a fact. ATLs nighlife is global my friend. When they want the true black experience in NIghtlife for AAs they come here, DC or NYC History has lead to that. And on top of that its a plus for me because I am a black gay male So I get the best of both worlds Top hetero black nightlife and Gay nightlife. So im more then filled with lots to do.
Actually Houston receives plenty of respect nationwide for it's urban nightlife. Not sure where you got that it doesn't. You're just exaggerating as usual because of Atlanta's nightlife was this badass; it would get the same amount of respect as New Orleans and Miami. ATL is probably tops in its region, but nationwide??? No.

I've known many people who have been to or from Atlanta and none never have spoken this highly of the nightlife there. Miami and New Orleans always get love. I don't even hear much about nightlife in NYC and LA.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I realize your offended, but if you put your personally feelings and biases aside for a minute and actually read my post; you'd had seen why Houston doesn't get much attention.

As I mentioned earlier; Houston lacks the attention and publicity of cities like Atlanta. On top of that; its cultural amenities and aspects are overshadowed by other large cities in Texas. Anyone knows when it comes to Texas instead of speaking about the positives are anything outside of the western elements of it; it's ignored.

As for the rest of your comment; your just proving what I already said. You guys keep pushing this celebrity thing as if it's an amazing selling point, but no it's not unique or different. As far as black events; your right, but Atlanta has a larger black population so that should be expected.

As far as your research skills; you might want to practice because they suck. Houston offer plenty of events, but since we're speaking about just black oriented events; of course Atlanta is going to offer more, but Houston isn't lacking.

More daytime and night time events leads to more things to get into. That can lead to the words I like Atlanta there is always something to do there are get into on a daily from a AAs. I have yet to here these words come out of many AAs mouths from across this US when regarding Houston Whether Gay or Straight. The next large event thats coming up here is Bronner Brother Hair show which is going to draw thousands from across USA and there are a long list of events for out of town guest. Just this pass Saturday was House Music in Piedmont Park 3 live Djs and 2 Guest singers playing nothing but none stop house music. The annual All White Party was This Past Sunday. Man Holiday weekends are crazy around here. Dont let a super bowl are all star weekend come in town they end up having to shut Atlanta down because it gets to crazy. News years at Biltmore was crazy Men dressed to kill and women

YouTube - ‪PROFESSIONAL RELAXATION NYE 2K11 at The BILTMORE RECAP PT 2 (THE CLUB NATION)‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City