Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 02:39 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
You're kidding, right?

What is there in either of those besides a few old churches and a couple of historic houses downtown? What defines those cities?
Man you are very ignorant:
The Old South.Plantations, Aristocratic.Black Culture,Voodo,Many of the nations FIRST are there.I cant believe you could even question without so much as reading before you make such outlandish statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 AM

182 posts, read 129,878 times
Milwaukee
Indianapolis
Boise
Springfield

Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I'm saying that identity is subjective. There is not a database of city identities. What people most commonly identify the city with is what becomes the identity.

Ask a person in Chicago, Los Angeles, Cleveland, North Dakota, Seattle, Phoenix or New York City what they think of when they hear "Charleston".

Most probably couldn't even tell you what a palmetto is.

I don't see what happened 250 years ago in a city has to do with the image of a city today unless it still shows that character throughout rather than in a district that occupies less than half of the developed space of the city.

Today's Charleston and Savannah are bland to myself and many others.
If that was the case then movies,books and songs would not be constantly focused in the area;
Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil was a huge bestseller or years nation wide.Well before they made the movie.

You may not get it but for you to sit here and say most people agree with you is just asinine
USA Today:The 10 Most Beautiful Places in America
The 10 Most Beautiful Places in America | USA WEEKEND Magazine | usaweekend.com
"Quotes" about Savannah Photo Gallery by Jeff Cochran at pbase.com

Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Charlotte
Tulsa
Indianapolis
Sioux City
Colorado Springs
Lubbock
Topeka
Dayton
Harrisburg
Rochester
Huntsville
Bismarck
Bakersfield
Spokane
Knoxville
Jefferson City
Wichita
Little Rock
I'm impressed, Grapico. Well done!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 AM

256 posts, read 605,362 times
I don't like this thread. With enough accurate perception/observation, EVERY city has something that makes it unique/special/distinctive/identifiable. Likewise, MOST cities, in general, also lose identities when you branch out from the core into the suburbs.
I'll pick on Huntsville since it was named a few times, and I can speak educated about it since Iive here. To say Huntsville has no identity is completely ignorant and uneducated. It is SO tied to defense and space that if I were to give it an adjective, I would call it (while a GREAT city), one-dimensional. It is so tied to space and defense, such a military town, that is so completely identifiable. Furthermore, it sticks out in Alabama as being the least"Alabama" of all cities in Alabama. That makes it identifiable (and distinct despite being one-dimensional). It is one of the least Southern cities with the huge amount of transplants (also a distinct element despite being one-dimensional in many ways).
Yet, with a budding biotech and auto manufacturing and distribution industries, along with budding arts and outdoor "lifestyle", it is becoming less one-dimensional as time goes on.
Anyway, "least identifiable" is about the worst adjective possible and farthest from the truth. Even my own adjective of one-dimensional isn't fair because EVERY city is too layered to pin down to one word.
But, that goes for any of these ridiculous threads. It's ignorant stereotyping and blanket assumptions.
Raleigh is SO tied to Research Triangle Park and its colleges. Charlotte is SO tied to banking and being a regional air hub. Both "share" one-dimensional aspects of Huntsville (as MOST citied also have one or two things that either provide an immediate thought/perception and one or two things that have been their main drivers to growth. Nashville is way more than country music. It's actually mostly healthcare if you are educated enough and get out of the core city. So, you can perceive any one city in so many ways. Is Huntsville super-distinctive? Yes. But, can it be one-dimensional? Yeah. But, is there slot more to it beneath the surface? Yeah. (and Raleigh, for that matter). Is Nashville super connected to music? Of course. But, is there more to the story? Of course. It's also healthcare. Is music on everyone's mind at all times? No. is the whole city a cowboy hat? Hardly.
This thread, and every orher thread on here is so ridiculous and uneducated and thoughtless. You have to be willing to change perceptions and outlooks and mindsets. You can't live life in labels. There is always a new set of glasses to put on. And some of you just need to put on glasses - period. Label. Label. Label. Gross. Gross. Gross.
Least identifiable? Whatever.
Why I bother to read or respond or contribute to this rubbish is beyond me.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Wow. Just when you think you've read every moronic comment that anyone could possibly say on City Data, along comes somebody from DETROIT arguing that there's nothing special or unique about SAVANNAH AND CHARLESTON.

I just knocked myself out slapping my forehead in utter dismay.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Anyone who says Savannah and Charleston are not special or unique in a sea of bland suburban places has no clue what they are saying.
These two towns among their peers are among the most unique and loved towns in the U.S.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
St Louis bbq/ribs, the arch...that's about it
To this foreigner St. Louis has the most identity of any Midwestern city after Chicago.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM

32 posts, read 53,628 times
Sacramento and Columbus, Ohio. Nothing comes to mind for most people when these cities are mentioned.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:46 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH74 View Post
I don't like this thread. With enough accurate perception/observation, EVERY city has something that makes it unique/special/distinctive/identifiable. Likewise, MOST cities, in general, also lose identities when you branch out from the core into the suburbs.
I'll pick on Huntsville since it was named a few times, and I can speak educated about it since Iive here. To say Huntsville has no identity is completely ignorant and uneducated. It is SO tied to defense and space that if I were to give it an adjective, I would call it (while a GREAT city), one-dimensional. It is so tied to space and defense, such a military town, that is so completely identifiable. Furthermore, it sticks out in Alabama as being the least"Alabama" of all cities in Alabama. That makes it identifiable (and distinct despite being one-dimensional). It is one of the least Southern cities with the huge amount of transplants (also a distinct element despite being one-dimensional in many ways).
Yet, with a budding biotech and auto manufacturing and distribution industries, along with budding arts and outdoor "lifestyle", it is becoming less one-dimensional as time goes on.
Anyway, "least identifiable" is about the worst adjective possible and farthest from the truth. Even my own adjective of one-dimensional isn't fair because EVERY city is too layered to pin down to one word.
But, that goes for any of these ridiculous threads. It's ignorant stereotyping and blanket assumptions.
Raleigh is SO tied to Research Triangle Park and its colleges. Charlotte is SO tied to banking and being a regional air hub. Both "share" one-dimensional aspects of Huntsville (as MOST citied also have one or two things that either provide an immediate thought/perception and one or two things that have been their main drivers to growth. Nashville is way more than country music. It's actually mostly healthcare if you are educated enough and get out of the core city. So, you can perceive any one city in so many ways. Is Huntsville super-distinctive? Yes. But, can it be one-dimensional? Yeah. But, is there slot more to it beneath the surface? Yeah. (and Raleigh, for that matter). Is Nashville super connected to music? Of course. But, is there more to the story? Of course. It's also healthcare. Is music on everyone's mind at all times? No. is the whole city a cowboy hat? Hardly.
This thread, and every orher thread on here is so ridiculous and uneducated and thoughtless. You have to be willing to change perceptions and outlooks and mindsets. You can't live life in labels. There is always a new set of glasses to put on. And some of you just need to put on glasses - period. Label. Label. Label. Gross. Gross. Gross.
Least identifiable? Whatever.
Why I bother to read or respond or contribute to this rubbish is beyond me.

i`m sorry dude but Huntsville has no IDENTITY !! Just becasue it has defense does not give it an identity that is industry not identity.The defense industry can pack up and leave Huntsville and move to Montgomery or Dothan and you will just have defense.

I lived in Huntsville for three years and it has no identity. To me identity ties into(charecter(the vibe that a city gives when you visit),culture, and distinguished architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City