Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities' fabric is the most urban?
LA 66 52.38%
NOLA 36 28.57%
Miami 24 19.05%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I agree with that assessment for the most part except I don't think to be considered a good "urban" urban fabric it needs to be gentrified or appeal to white yuppies. In that case lots of areas of NYC, NOLA, Chicago, Philly, etc..wouldn't be considered to have a good urban fabric.
Yeah, gentrification isn't needed for a neighborhood to be vibrant and walkable. No need to change it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:34 PM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Dweebo sums it up pretty well here.
Actually this guy is completely wrong, the areas of Westlake, Pico Union, echo park, and Koreatown, have much better urban fabric than Santa Monica, I think he's confusing urban fabric for gentrification and desirability. Just because you don't see white people walking around doesn't mean it doesn't have a good urban fabric, this person either mistook the OP question or he's not familiar with the city.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Dweebo is one of the best posters around, but I have to vehemently disagree that Santa Monica is the most urban "fabricy" part of L.A. It's one of the more walkable areas, definitely, but that's it.

Also, saying that the FQ is world's away from DTLA is just false. For starters, downtown is at least twice the size of FQ. Seems like he let NE boosters dictate the parameters of urbanity a little too much there.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I agree with that assessment for the most part except I don't think to be considered a good "urban" urban fabric it needs to be gentrified or appeal to white yuppies. In that case lots of areas of NYC, NOLA, Chicago, Philly, etc..wouldn't be considered to have a good urban fabric.
As an example from Los Angeles, Cesar Chavez Avenue through Boyle Heights has pretty good urban fabric and is far from gentrified.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Dweebo is one of the best posters around, but I have to vehemently disagree that Santa Monica is the most urban part of L.A. It's one of the more walkable areas, definitely, but that's it.
I think Dweebo was looking at it from the standpoint of the criteria set by some of the earlier posters: Santa Monica has the fewest flaws in its urban design (i.e. mostly street-facing retail, few strip malls, dense housing) there for it is the most "urban fabric-y" part of Los Angeles - I'd also say downtown Beverly Hills is also in the running.

But to consider those even close to the most urban part of Los Angeles is laughable. I don't think Dweebo does and I don't think that is what the post meant.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
Actually this guy is completely wrong, the areas of Westlake, Pico Union, echo park, and Koreatown, have much better urban fabric than Santa Monica, I think he's confusing urban fabric for gentrification and desirability. Just because you don't see white people walking around doesn't mean it doesn't have a good urban fabric, this person either mistook the OP question or he's not familiar with the city.
I don't think he's off at all. I've been to Santa Monica and I get what he's saying. There are fewer parking lots, narrower streets and more three dimensional walkability. It's a bit more cohesive than other parts of the city.

And why is it that anytime someone has a different opinion of LA you have to claim that the poster's "not familiar with the city?" If I'm not mistaken, Dweebo's from LA and lives there now. And not in the Valley...he lives in Central LA.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I think Dweebo was looking at it from the standpoint of the criteria set by some of the earlier posters: Santa Monica has the fewest flaws in its urban design (i.e. mostly street-facing retail, few strip malls, dense housing) there for it is the most "urban fabric-y" part of Los Angeles - I'd also say downtown Beverly Hills is also in the running.

But to consider those even close to the most urban part of Los Angeles is laughable. I don't think Dweebo does and I don't think that is what the post meant.
Sorry, I meant to say "urban fabricy", which is what he wrote. That's exactly what I disagree with.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
That's how I interpreted it as well. Of course, Dweebo can speak for himself on the matter.

Quote:
He didn't say it was the most "urban." He called it the "most urban fabric-y," which he defined as a combination of walkability plus density.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I meant to say "urban fabricy", which is what he wrote. That's exactly what I disagree with.
Why do you disagree with it? For the most part, Santa Monica appears to be a little more mixed-use and three dimensional than other areas of LA. When you turn a corner, the built environment stays rather consistent. It actually reminds me of Miami Beach.

Quote:
Seems like he let NE boosters dictate the parameters of urbanity a little too much there.
It's funny how you'll say this but then quickly point out how the Seinfeld crew was able to pass LA off for NYC.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why do you disagree with it? For the most part, Santa Monica appears to be a little more mixed-use and three dimensional than other areas of LA. When you turn a corner, the built environment stays rather consistent. It actually reminds me of Miami Beach.

Agree on the Miami Beach comparator. Though for both even though they have a decent cohesion. They both lose it. It to me might seem that Santa Monica loses the dimensionalty somewhere like maybe 8th street

That said I still find other parts of LA more urban. Maybe I am different than others but South Beach doesnt scream urban to me - maybe to me it feels too resorty. Santa Monica does feel a little resorty but less so when compared to South Beach.

LA though (like Miami to a lessor extent) is a place hard to really understand, especially how it all connects in the urban fabric. I appreciate it more and more with each visit frankly.

Snata Monica is kind of easy to get to know wheras LA in total is not if that makes sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City