Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, or Philadelphia?
New York City 97 36.33%
Los Angeles 67 25.09%
Chicago 84 31.46%
Miami 55 20.60%
Philadelphia 51 19.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:45 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,097 times

Advertisements

Just a personal opinion here, but Penn is the largest Ivy, and that makes it a real heavy-hitter. UCLA and USC just don't have the same prestige. Most folks would put Philly right after Boston for higher education. Both Philly and Boston have a student population above 500,000.

You know that famous list of colleges and universities. Penn's #5, ahead of MIT. Cali doesn't enter the list until we get to Berkley, #22. USC is #23, UCLA is #25. Philly's Drexel U. shows up at #86., Temple at 132.

Where L.A. outpaces Philly is the larger student population of USC - 34,900 and UCLA - 40,000 - whereas Penn's student body is 19,000. Drexel has 22,000 students and Temple, 37,500.

At that level, it's a tie, and like you said it depends on what you study. I still feel Penn's high ranking pushes Philly ahead of L.A. but I also see how you could disagree.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...versities/data

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Los Angeles has great schools. UCLA and USC to name a few, consistently among the top in the nation. It also depends on what you want to go to school for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Just a personal opinion here, but Penn is the largest Ivy, and that makes it a real heavy-hitter. UCLA and USC just don't have the same prestige. Most folks would put Philly right after Boston for higher education. Both Philly and Boston have a student population above 500,000.

You know that famous list of colleges and universities. Penn's #5, ahead of MIT. Cali doesn't enter the list until we get to Berkley, #22. USC is #23, UCLA is #25. Philly's Drexel U. shows up at #86., Temple at 132.

Where L.A. outpaces Philly is the larger student population of USC - 34,900 and UCLA - 40,000 - whereas Penn's student body is 19,000. Drexel has 22,000 students and Temple, 37,500.

At that level, it's a tie, and like you said it depends on what you study. I still feel Penn's high ranking pushes Philly ahead of L.A. but I also see how you could disagree.

National University | Rankings | Data | US News
I see Stanford at #5 - above Penn - and Cal Tech at #7.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM

I must be blind, I screwed that up. I believe Stanford is in a tie with Penn. well, aside from that error let's just get back to discussing the position of los angeles versus philadelphia in terms of higher education. I really should of said los angeles does not enter the list until number 23.
Quote:
I see Stanford at #5 - above Penn - and Cal Tech at #7.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I must be blind, I screwed that up. I believe stanford is in a tie with Penn., I don't see what that has to do with los angeles, unless you want to start arguing about where princeton is located again.
I was never arguing Princetons location. That was noah5 .

I simply mentioned that California schools were listed at 5 and 7 because you said they weren't listed until 22. No big deal.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I must be blind, I screwed that up. I believe Stanford is in a tie with Penn. well, aside from that error let's just get back to discussing the position of los angeles versus philadelphia in terms of higher education. I really should of said los angeles does not enter the list until number 23.
If we're discussing metro/urban area, than Los Angeles still comes in at 7.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:54 PM

Looking at our discussion, I'm not sure why Chicago isn't #5. L.A. fares better than I thought.

Quote:
If we're discussing metro/urban area, than Los Angeles still comes in at 7.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,428 times
Quote:
Looking at our discussion, I'm not sure why Chicago isn't #5. L.A. fares better than I thought.
Because Miami has nothing on the likes of Northwestern and University of Chicago. Which are some of the best schools in the country and some of the best in the world. Chicago and Los Angeles seem pretty even, especially considering Los Angeles's size being twice as large as Chicago's.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
Because Miami has nothing on the likes of Northwestern and University of Chicago. Which are some of the best schools in the country and some of the best in the world. Chicago and Los Angeles seem pretty even, especially considering Los Angeles's size being twice as large as Chicago's.
National University | Rankings | Data | US News The report only lists one Chicago school before a Miami school. That still gives Chicago the lead. Several L.A. schools are listed after 7 as well. I'd say the list is

NYC
L.A./Philadelphia - with a slight edge to L.A.
Chicago
Miami

Old 08-21-2011, 06:05 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
I shouldn't have included Philadelphia, it's really not that large and is only a Gamma. Personally I would say that Chicago is the greenest city and arguably the most educated. New York the economic center. Miami does have the largest concentration of international banks in the country. I would also say people in Los Angeles have the better lifestyle.

Why would you not include philadelphia in this thread? I think new york is the biggest outlier, take that out and make it a more fair competition.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Why would you not include philadelphia in this thread? I think new york is the biggest outlier, take that out and make it a more fair competition.
I felt people did not feel it inclusive. It's in the thread, and it should be.

New York is not the biggest outlier in all categories, as some are and always will be subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City