Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
And now you're putting downtown SF on the same page as downtown NY? Credibility: shattered.
What is downtown NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:15 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
As a region DFW is larger than Philly.
But does it feel bigger than Philly? No, and that's the whole point.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
The vibe I got was a clean, spacious, large downtown with lots of towering skyscrapers, yet not so much interesting on a street level outside Michigan Ave. And downtown Chicago got quiet really fast...like at least 6 pm.
Michigan Ave. is really more of a tourist area than anything. And the Loop does get really quiet by about that time, because that's where so many 9-5 business people work. There always seems to be WAY more happening in, say, the river North area and a bit to its west than the Loop.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,586 times
San Francisco has a good big city feel, but in no way does it feel "big city" like Philadelphia. Philadelphia's big city east coast feel can not be duplicated by San Francisco.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
We appear to be on the same wave length. I saw those earlier but wasnt sure how to compare places since they are all different scales.

Anyway, I tried to connect PA+NJ+DE to scale with CA and came up with this extremely unprofessional homemade map(LOL):

The NJ and Delaware maps show the second darkest hue as 5,000-9,999 and the third darkest hue as 1,000-4,999. I think they did that for small states.

Cool maps, I dont know how to modify the images so nice work.

The other thing to me that jumps out in the Philly image is the two very large white blobs with basically zero population and how large they are relative to many other cities. These areas dramtically bring down the actual density of the city overall (In the SE the airport, port and huge refinery complex and in the NE the large airport) maybe 1/6th of the total land area if removed would place the density closer to 14-15K for the city overall.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 AM

292 posts, read 752,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
San Francisco has a good big city feel, but in no way does it feel "big city" like Philadelphia. Philadelphia's big city east coast feel can not be duplicated by San Francisco.
What are you basing that on? This is exactly the kind of comment people who support San Francisco respond to, and then Philly supporters bash them for "making SF something it's not".

Anyone who's been to both knows they are very comparable. Many feel SF has more of a big city feel, because it has greater structural and population density, more bustling sidewalks, less surface lots and the downtown/inner neighborhoods area is huge. I've always felt SF has more of a vibrant, big city feel than Philly, especially in the core. Several east coasters who visited SF for the first time admitted that as well.

That's not to say I wouldn't accept an argument from someone who thinks Philly has more of a big city feel, but to say "in no way" does it feel big city like Philly is ridiculous.

Again, SF sustains this level of density for long stretches, outside of the core financial district - I just don't see that in Philly:

http://images.northrup.org/picture/x...ded-street.jpg

Last edited by overunder12; 08-26-2011 at 10:29 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 10:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
What are you basing that on? This is exactly the kind of comment people who support San Francisco respond to, and then Philly supporters bash them for "making SF something it's not".

Anyone who's been to both knows they are very comparable. Many feel SF has more of a big city feel, because it has greater structural and population density, more bustling sidewalks, less surface lots and the downtown/inner neighborhoods area is huge. I've always felt SF has more of a vibrant, big city feel than Philly, especially in the core. Several east coasters who visited SF for the first time admitted that as well.

That's not to say I wouldn't accept an argument from someone who thinks Philly has more of a big city feel, but to say "in no way" does it feel big city like Philly is ridiculous.

Again, SF sustains this level of density for long stretches - I just don't see that in Philly:

Personally I concur. To suggest that either is runaway or that either does not have a Big City feel, especially in the cores is silly. To me if anything it is the composition of the older NE cities outside the core that would have more of a difference. Their cores are both substantial and good arguments can be made that SF is more compressed in the core in this discussion. To me Boston/Philly/SF all share in many ways from this perspectives in these attributes or even the so-called "Big City" feel. To me these three cities actually have the most core city similarities on feel scale etc whereas NYC is just on another level of scale and Chicago, larger than these cities, has a slightly different feel but no doubt big city feel.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM

292 posts, read 752,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Personally I concur. To suggest that either is runaway or that either does not have a Big City feel, especially in the cores is silly. To me if anything it is the composition of the older NE cities outside the core that would have more of a difference. Their cores are both substantial and good arguments can be made that SF is more compressed in the core in this discussion. To me Boston/Philly/SF all share in many ways from this perspectives in these attributes or even the so-called "Big City" feel. To me these three cities actually have the most core city similarities on feel scale etc whereas NYC is just on another level of scale and Chicago, larger than these cities, has a slightly different feel but no doubt big city feel.
I would agree with you about most West Coast cities, but SF is the exception - it has a VERY strong urban fabric outside of its core. Neighborhoods like the Mission District, Lower and Upper Haight, Western Addition, Fillmore, Marina, Duboce Triangle, Castro, Hayes Valley, Polk Street, Outer SOMA, etc. - the building heights may drop a bit but these are still very dense, urban, bustling areas. Pound for pound, I'd say SF sustains its density and urbanity just as well as any east coast city besides NYC. (Now, Oakland and Berkeley certainly have less consistant urban fabrics, but so do the outer areas of many of the larger East Coast cities.)

However, your point about composition of cities outside of the core is spot on for other West Coast cities, like Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver. All have strong, vibrant, bustling downtowns, but - despite some nodes of activity - the drop-off is significant once you leave the core. Seattle is particularly dramatic, as the downtown and adjacent neighborhoods (a decent-sized area) feel quite urban, but it quickly turns into primarily single-family home areas with pockets of commercial activity. Some of these pockets - like Ballard, the University District, etc. - are substantial, but the overall urban fabric is very spotty once you leave the core.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
I agree LA is totally underrated.

So much of it looks like this (I know, this is Beverly Hills - same difference) and this type of density and urban environment covers vast terrain in LA.

Google Maps
I was gonna post something similar. I was gonna say from what I've seen on Google Maps, and from what I have heard from family who lives out in LA and San Diego, LA and SD and the surrounding areas look vibrant as hell. VERY underrated in the Vibrancy department. It seems like they can go toe to toe with Northeastern cities in the vibrancy department.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
As a region DFW is larger than Philly.
so what?? Houston is bigger than DC and it certainly does not feel bigger. Why would DFW having a bigger population immediately equate to a bigger feel.
Philly feels bigger than anything in the South. just because DFW has a big population doesn't mean it feels bigger than Philly, DC, SF or Boston.

That is just ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
But does it feel bigger than Philly? No, and that's the whole point.
I don't think he understands what people are talking about and is just listing MSA numbers. MSA numbers by themselves are useless in gauging areas. He needs to look at the development patterns and see that having a bunch of smaller towns under the umbrella of a metro doesn't often translate into a big city feel.

Philly is the Dense Center of a metro of 6M. Dallas is one half the medium density center of a metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City