Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Of course there are differences that give each city their uniqueness in regards to accents but that still doesn't change the fact that Baltimore and Philadelphia are both part of much larger dialect group. Both cities fall under the Midland Rhotic Dialect. This regional dialect group has had a tremendous influence on many parts of the country. You can probably even make the case that what we call the "General America Accent" probably has it's origins in the Baltimore and Philadelphia area.
I read that somewhere before.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 09-17-2013 at 12:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 04:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
So did St. Louis and many other cities in the Northeast and Midwest. What's your point? That a city's accent will change based on the number of white Southerners that migrate there? If that was the case with St. Louis, I'd be hearing southern accents all over the place. But I'm not. So hilarious watching you struggle.
Boston, New York City did not see an influx of white southerners, nor any other city in upstate NY or New England. And probably (don't know for sure) Pittsburgh and Philly. I think Chicago had some, but not many.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Boston, New York City did not see an influx of white southerners, nor any other city in upstate NY or New England. And probably (don't know for sure) Pittsburgh and Philly. I think Chicago had some, but not many.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think Pittsburgh did (and does) get transplants from the south; I know for sure from West Virginia. Cincinnati supposedly got a lot of southern transplants.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Makes sense, as they weren't too far from the south or at least border states (if Kentucky and West Virginia count). Chicago had a white southern influx:

Chicago’s Hillbilly Problem During the Great Migration

Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The article looked interesting, but since I have exactly zero linguistics education, I couldn't figure out what it was saying. Can you give some examples of these "a" words?
I'm not sure how to explain, as not having the accent or hearing someone it's hard to imagine what it's saying. Take the a in these words:

halve, can't, bad, cab, man
have, can*, had, cap, manage**

*the verb, the noun is in the first row
**first a

the a to most speakers of North American dialects in all these words sound identical, or nearly identical. I think, not sure, since they don't sound identical to me. To speakers of mid-Atlantic dialects with the split, the words of the second row have more of an "ah" sound while the top row have a more of a nasally "ah" with an e sound at the beginning. No clue how to describe it. Linguistically, they're considered separate vowels as speakers of the dialect can distinguish between word meaning by changing the vowel sound (halve vs have, for example).

This article might be helpful:

New York City: Accent of Champions | Dialect Blog

I know Philly has the split, but slightly different on which words get which vowe.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
IDK, maybe being from the Northeast (presumably), you think Baltimore just sounds like any old southern accent. Being from the south myself, Baltimore doesn't sound all that southern to me. And its links to Phillyspeak are one reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Which American accent do you have?

My Results:
Mid-Atlantic: Also known as the "Philadelphia accent" but also heard in south Jersey, Baltimore, and thereabouts.
What are the odds of being raised in the South and speaking with the dialect of a completely different region? Did you grow up in a town that had 100,000 plus transplants from the Delaware Valley? Even kids who grow up in households with two immigrant parents generally do not pronounce words the same as their parents. It's unlikely, for example, to come across a person born to Trinidadian immigrants and raised in Queens who says tree instead of three, pon instead of upon, or gwine instead of going. Nor is he or she likely to refer to a hornet as a "jep" or a "jack spaniard." You speak the way the people around you speak.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. Just because you got this result doesn't mean you don`t pronounce R's.(People in Jersey don`t call their state "Joisey" in real life)

Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Western, but you might not be from the west. (True, dat)

Old 10-24-2013, 11:13 PM

592 posts, read 461,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think the southerness would stick out more than the traits you've identified. I mean, why would these other things stick out when nearly all Americans are familar with southern accents?

Also, I think there are few Philadelphians whose speech possesses most of those things. You come across plenty of New Yorkers who exhibit all of the characteristics of the New York accent, but the "Philly accent" is harder to pin down. There's really no one person you can point to and say, "Ah, that's quintessentially Philadelphia."

I personally do not have any type of accent (or so I believe). And I've always considered Philly to be the most neutral of northeastern cities in this regard.
Ah, I just had to reply to this post, Yankee! I was listening to the radio the other day and heard a commercial that does pretty much sum up the quintessential Philly dialect. Here is the link:
Horizon Services TV Commercial - Quality :30 - YouTube

I think part of the reason our accent is "harder to pin down" is because it's so underrepresented in the larger mass media lol.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 AM

612 posts, read 844,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I grew up thinking Missouri was southern. Ever read "Huck Finn"? MO was a slave state. I was surprised to find out they consider themselves midwesterners.
So did I. When Nelly first came out with "Country Grammar" you couldn't TELL me that that wasn't Southern influenced

Nelly - Country Grammar (Hot...) - YouTube

And oddly enough, when I think of the Kansas City Monarchs, and the barbecue, it rings up as being (somewhat) Southern to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City