Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times

Advertisements

So much Cali love on here...

I must continually miss utopia when I am there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think this is a common stereotype of the East and West Coast and they just don't seem to jive that well. There's a lot of podunk in small California cities and many of the further inland communities are like that. I found large parts of LA where I grew up to be incredibly stuffy and uninteresting--though LA does have some great parts. I really don't feel like there's a huge change in how concerned people are about other's perceptions of themselves. In a funny way, it's just as awkwardly self-conscious to try to single oneself out as from the West Coast and therefore relaxed and not concerned about how people perceive you as just the basic driver for having to mention that is a concern for how people perceive you.
What are you really getting at?

TBH, I couldn't live in a place that didn't have the aspiration, persona, and mentality of what it takes or feels like to be #1. I'm a coastal purist and to me everywhere is flyover country sans NYC, LA, SF Bay Area, and Miami. Other places that have the persona, pride, ego, mentality to be at the top are New England, Seattle region, Texas, and Chicagoland. These are also the areas that after NYC and California control the interests of the rest of the country by cos power, cultural influence, trends, brand recognition, power, influence, GDP, politics, etc.

The rest of the US just feels depressing submissive, uninfluential, untrendy personas especially the midwest sans Chicagoland IMO.

Last edited by scrantiX; 10-19-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:41 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
What are you really getting at?

TBH, I couldn't live in a place that didn't have the aspiration, persona, and mentality of what it takes or feels like to be #1. I'm a coastal purist and to me everywhere is flyover country sans NYC, LA, SF Bay Area, and Miami. Other places that have the persona, pride, ego, mentality to be at the top are New England, Seattle region, Texas, and Chicagoland. These are also the areas that after NYC and California control the interests of the rest of the country by cos power, cultural influence, trends, brand recognition, power, influence, GDP, politics, etc.

The rest of the US just feels depressing with its declining, dying, submissively put in their place, uninfluential, untrendy personas IMO. Sorry bruh, I cant do it, cant ever live anywhere else besides those places mentioned earlier on.
I don't think what you're saying has anything to do with what I said or what 18Montclair said about being relaxed or not worrying about other people's perceptions. Why are you quoting me?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I don't think what you're saying has anything to do with what I said or what 18Montclair said about being relaxed or not worrying about other people's perceptions. Why are you quoting me?
Which is why I asked you what point you're trying to make?

I understood his point but not yours, California is no where near as image conscious as the eastern seaboard. LA ranking towards the bottom doesn't bare any cut as the city is still a draw for the creative types from those same eastern towns the hate stems from. It's live-let-live. I've always found NYC to be very image focused as well as Miami and Boston to a lesser extent. Which I could understand why, you skipped over the part where I was talking about what the aspirations to be #1 are like to these places. That's the east, in the west it's live-let-live and innovation. California has constantly reinvented itself after every bust through the same creatives that flock here from places that hold our state in heavy disdain.

There is a different mentality between being a achiever in NYC, Miami, or Boston and being an achiever in LA, SF Bay Area, or Seattle.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 PM

37,189 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Which is why I asked you what point you're trying to make?

I understood his point but not yours, California is no where near as image conscious as the eastern seaboard. LA ranking towards the bottom doesn't bare any cut as the city is still a draw for the creative types from those same eastern towns the hate stems from. It's live-let-live. I've always found NYC to be very image focused as well as Miami and Boston to a lesser extent. Which I could understand why, you skipped over the part where I was talking about what the aspirations to be #1 are like to these places. That's the east, in the west it's live-let-live and innovation. California has constantly reinvented itself after every bust through the same creatives that flock here from places that hold our state in heavy disdain.

There is a different mentality between being a achiever in NYC, Miami, or Boston and being an achiever in LA, SF Bay Area, or Seattle.
That the level of image-consciousness is about the same, and it does take effort to cultivate an image of not being image-conscious.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
That the level of image-consciousness is about the same, and it does take effort to cultivate an image of not being image-conscious.
Wouldn't you agree that a certain degree of image consciousness whether caring too little or caring too much can drive success?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishico View Post
Ahh fantastic point.
I thought his points were fantastic as well. I know you're being sarcastically humorous but really he made fine points.
Quote:
Chicago is an elite player in the global economy.
Not as elite as LA.

2011 GDP
1 New York CSA $1.463 Trillion
2 Los Angeles CSA $902.8 Billion
3 Washington DC CSA $587.1 Billion
4 San Francisco CSA $569.5 Billion
5 Chicago CSA $553.6 Billion

LA's economy has a larger impact on the world and you speak of LA as if it's devoid of any corporate power or influence. Aside from the economy, LA's got a bigger hand as the cultural exporter of the US, that cant be ranked by GDP but overshadows Chicago's cultural contributions to the rest of the world.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX
LA's economy has a larger impact on the world and you speak of LA as if it's devoid of any corporate power or influence. Aside from the economy, LA's got a bigger hand as the cultural exporter of the US, that cant be ranked by GDP but overshadows Chicago's cultural contributions to the rest of the world.
I made a post to Chandler already. I received no response to it, so let's try you.

Shanghai's GDP is larger than Hong Kong and Singapore's. Is it more important?

Another point, the CME Group owns and manages Chicago MEX, CBOT, NYMEX, and Dow Industrial. The city also happens to be the global leader in trade derivatives and not only the financial socket to the markets in the east and west but also the logistical leader of those same markets.

Step away from GDP and manufacturing, that latter of which Chicago while not as large as LA still manages to do exceedingly well. So what exactly is putting LA so over the top here? I agree it's more important overall but it's in the same tier. What puts it above though?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:59 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,531 times
These lists are not for the internet sock-puppets & crying babies.

America's Most Powerful Global Cities - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities

Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
These lists are not for the internet sock-puppets & crying babies.

America's Most Powerful Global Cities - Jobs & Economy - The Atlantic Cities
But downtown1, why isn't Shanghai above Hong Kong or Singapore? It's more than twice the size and has the larger GDP. It's also the "cultural exporter" of China, the largest most populated country in the world. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City