Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:15 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times

Advertisements

Denver is a good one. There may be a couple of tornado warnings in the spring and summer, but they hardly ever touchdown. Forest fires also occur, but not in the actually city.

Last edited by Mezter; 10-30-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Denver is a good one. There may be a couple of tornado warnings in the spring and summer, but they hardly ever touchdown. Forest fires also occur, but not in the actually city.

Didnt there used to be a lot wind sheer for planes into stapleton?

Maybe that is not the case with the new airport. But seems to make sense in the without major risks though it seems Denver can have some pretty dramatic temperature/weather shifts like 70 one day and 25 and snowing the next

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Las Vegas.

Low on virtually all risk scales. Becoming the common home for massive data centers as a result.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I lived in the Midwest for a while and those ice storms are ferocious. Cars sliding around and hitting walls killing people, power out in homes for weeks at a time in single digit weather, and the inability to walk on a sidewalk without slipping and breaking your head. Then the tornadoes in the spring are horrible, not to mention the spring thaw that causes rivers to overflow banks and flood large areas.

I don't agree that the Midwest is safe.
The post you are responding to said "Great Lakes" not Midwest. The Midwest is typically considered to be made up of the Plains states and the Great Lakes states. The weather you describe above is more appropriate to the Plains. In the Great Lakes region we receive very few tornadoes, ice storms, single-digit temps, or spring flooding. Power outages are uncommon and generally brief.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Phoenix? Are you sure? http://www.atbreak.com/wp-content/up...y-5th-2011.jpg

I don't think there's really anywhere in the US that isn't prone to something. The Northeast and Upper Midwest are maybe less prone to disaster than other parts of the country, but obviously that isn't always true.
For anyone who hasn't experienced one, a dust storm is not a natural disaster. It's a cloud of dust that blows by in 20 minutes followed by a thunderstorm. Worrying about that is like fearing fog.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'd say that no one is truly safe from natural disaster. Phoenix has really bad out of nowhere dust storms. Michigan has bad blizzards. I can't believe anyone would call the upper Midwest safe from a natural disaster. While snow is certainly very common there, it can still cause harm. I understand that snow isn't automatically a natural disaster. Blizzards kill people and at the very least cause power outages, though. Anywhere on the west coast is prone to earthquakes. Forest fires in the Rockies. Denver also has blizzards and ice storms. So yeah nowhere is SAFE, just some places have disasters less.
Actually, we (SE Michigan) get more power outages in the summer, though generally only a few hours, than we do during a blizzard. In fact, I don't recall ever losing power in a blizzard. But then again we only see a blizzard maybe two or three times a decade.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:36 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Denver could be hit by tornados, as the similar landscape of Eastern CO is part of "tornado alley". The PNW is susceptible to large earthquakes, they're just really infrequent. That's why there's volcanos there. Anywhere in the Midwest is prone to tornados and possible crippling blizzards.

The Desert SW is the least likely to experience any natural disaster. Drought was mentioned in a previous thread though that's not an issue since deserts are in a constant drought, it's why they're deserts. The water used by desert cities comes from rivers fed by snow runoff in the Rocky Mts. A place unlikely to experience total drought.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
The post you are responding to said "Great Lakes" not Midwest. The Midwest is typically considered to be made up of the Plains states and the Great Lakes states. The weather you describe above is more appropriate to the Plains. In the Great Lakes region we receive very few tornadoes, ice storms, single-digit temps, or spring flooding. Power outages are uncommon and generally brief.
So your definition of "Great Lakes Region" doesn't include Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan? Because Minnesota gets all of the above, Wisconsin has slightly less tornadoes, and Michigan gets less tornadoes and flooding. I don't know about Michigan, but power outages are not uncommon in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and they are not always brief, and in the winter, 30 minutes is already too long without heat.

And spring flooding? I'm sure anybody living along the Minnesota, Red, St. Croix, and Mississippi rivers would beg to differ.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
So your definition of "Great Lakes Region" doesn't include Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Michigan? Because Minnesota gets all of the above, Wisconsin has slightly less tornadoes, and Michigan gets less tornadoes and flooding. I don't know about Michigan, but power outages are not uncommon in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and they are not always brief, and in the winter, 30 minutes is already too long without heat.

And spring flooding? I'm sure anybody living along the Minnesota, Red, St. Croix, and Mississippi rivers would beg to differ.
Fair enough. Minnesota does stradle that Great Lakes/Plains divide. I was speaking primarily of my life experience growing up and living in Ohio and Michigan for 50 years. Aside from the grid malfunction that affected much of the eastern U.S. about ten years ago, I don't recall any power outages that lasted more than a few hours and even those are rare. Most of our outages can be measured in minutes if not seconds. Over the years I have known plenty of people from Wisconsin, N. Illinois, and N. Indiana as well and don't recall anyone ever recounting long power outages.

A typical home is not going to lose much heat in just 30 or 60 minutes and many homes or cabin/cottages have alternate sources of heat anyways especially in rural or northern areas.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,885,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The Front Range has experienced over $4 billion in wind/hail losses in the last four years and over $800 million in firestorm damage. Homeowners rates are increasing anywhere from 25% to 49% this year alone and 2 major insurance companies have left the state. If you own a home, hold on to your wallet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City