Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro area do you prefer
DFW 109 36.33%
Bay Area- 191 63.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 09:16 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,701,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Why is it a problem when I discuss my issue?
Thanks for sharing YOUR story for the 10th time. All cities definitely have issues they can work on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 09:19 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,030,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Jester has drunken the southern Kool-aid. You can throw all kinds of stats and facts at him and he'll still flip.

You can't compare Stanford with smu. There's such a big gap there (outside of Texas) that it's really not worth going down that path. It's like comparing Alabama to Duke.
That is not what he said at all.
SMU is a very good school but what he ACTUALLY said is true: everyone isnt doing ground breaking work who goes to these schools that arent named Stanford or Harvard etc.
All the big tech companies recruit at SMU as well as other top 50 schools.
The biggest things is these companies dont want to pay a Stanford salary if its just the every day workers in a shared cubicle at one of its offices in Omaha,Tulsa etc.
This type of thinking is beyond nothing based in reality.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thanks for sharing YOUR story for the 10th time. All cities definitely have issues they can work on.
Exuit had a similar story as well.Funny how that works

Old 03-22-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I went with Niche's ranking this time:

St Mark's School of Texas tops the schools relevant to this thread and ranks 2nd nationally so kudos, but College Prep is not far behind at 4th

Top 100 High Schools:
DFW Metroplex: 6/100
#2 St Mark's School of Texas, Dallas
#59 Hockaday School, Dallas
#62 School of Science and Engineering, Dallas
#64 School for the Talented and Gifted, Dallas
#64 Greenhill Academy, Dallas
#77 Cisterian Prepatory School, Irving

SF Bay Area: 16/100
#4 The College Prepatory School, Oakland
#7 Stanford Online High School, Redwood City
#9 Castilleja School, Palo Alto
#19 Crystal Springs Upland School, Hillsborough
#24 The Nueva School, Hillsborough
#42 The Head-Royce School, Oakland
#46 The Harker School, San Jose
#67 The Branson School, Ross
#71 University High, San Francisco
#75 Basis Independent Silicon Valley, San Jose
#78 The Urban School, San Francisco
#80 Lick-Wilmerding High, San Francisco
#81 Woodside Priory School, Portola Valley
#82 The Quarry Lane School, Dublin
#88 Henry M Gunn High, Palo Alto
#91 Menlo School, Atherton

Top 100 School Districts:
DFW Metroplex: 2
#33 Carroll Independent, Southlake
#98 Highland Park Independent, Dallas

SF Bay Area: 3
#19 Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union, Los Gatos
#23 Palo Alto Unified, Palo Alto
#39 Los Altos-Mountain View Joint, Mountain View

Honestly, there are literally tons of excellent Bay Area high schools that arent even in the top 100. I'm certain the same applies to the metroplex.
Well yes wealth does have its PRIVILEGES......

Old 03-22-2020, 09:28 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,701,356 times
Looks like SF is winning by a wide margin. I was in Dallas this past winter to visit my cousin and I find the city quite nice but I could see why SF is seen as more desirable.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:20 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
That is not what he said at all.
SMU is a very good school but what he ACTUALLY said is true: everyone isnt doing ground breaking work who goes to these schools that arent named Stanford or Harvard etc.
All the big tech companies recruit at SMU as well as other top 50 schools.
The biggest things is these companies dont want to pay a Stanford salary if its just the every day workers in a shared cubicle at one of its offices in Omaha,Tulsa etc.
This type of thinking is beyond nothing based in reality.
Right, but he also asked a silly hypothetical.

On top of that, there are other CS programs in the Bay Area that aren’t from Berkeley or Stanford that are overall comparable to that of SMU’s, so in a comparison topic, even those grounds for argument, however nonsensical, also don’t make sense.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:25 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Yes California was the place to be. They voted for Regan back in 1980. There are twice as many posters fro. DFW here than the Bay Area and the Bay area is still winning by a long shot.
On City Data the metros with the most posters are #1 Atlanta, #2 DFW and #3 Houston. So all polls and opinions are going to be biased towards these 3 cities.
I still prefer DFW over SF Bay Area, partly because I've lived in California most of my life, and want some novelty.

I assure you that many Californians have gotten tired of California too, and enjoy the novelty of Texas. Same could be said vice versa.

I actually do not believe that polls on city data are biased towards Atlanta, DFW, and Houston. This poll where SF is beating DFW is the rule, not the exception, on this forum.

I am simply pointing out that California was relatively conservative 40 years ago, but things evolved so rapidly there that now it's left wing politics rival Canada. I think many people not from the U.S. have an outdated view of the U.S. as being ultra-conservative and don't realize how rapidly the U.S. has shifted leftwards.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I still prefer DFW over SF Bay Area, partly because I've lived in California most of my life, and want some novelty.

I assure you that many Californians have gotten tired of California too, and enjoy the novelty of Texas. Same could be said vice versa.

I actually do not believe that polls on city data are biased towards Atlanta, DFW, and Houston. This poll where SF is beating DFW is the rule, not the exception, on this forum.

I am simply pointing out that California was relatively conservative 40 years ago, but things evolved so rapidly there that now it's left wing politics rival Canada. I think many people not from the U.S. have an outdated view of the U.S. as being ultra-conservative and don't realize how rapidly the U.S. has shifted leftwards.
This is true. Those cities agianst any city vs a city in the Northeast of West Coast cities will aways loose on these hugely biased CD polls

Old 03-23-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
In your hypothetical is the Stanford undergrad in CS not also acing the interview questions, has a solid portfolio of projects, and has a high GPA? I mean, if it's apples to apples, then yea, it's quite likely they'll opt for the Stanford candidate for a variety of reasons.

Also, Stanford is definitely not the only great or even good CS program in the Bay Area. Berkeley has a great one and Berkeley has a massive student population. San Jose State also has a fairly good one, though not top tier the way Berkeley and Stanford are.

Also, if you were going for a CS undergrad degree in a DFW school, I believe the program at UT-Dallas is the better one. SMU would be the lesser choice for CS unless they offered you a particularly good package or there was a very particular field of study that faculty there was undertaking and you wanted in on that.

CS-related jobs are also among the few high-paying jobs that you can get from showboating without a degree or a wealthy / connected background. It's rare-ish, but much more common than in either high-paying white collar professions.
But my point still remains: to those big tech companies Stanford is just the name and at most the alumni connections/networking. And that's not always even true, as my friend's uncle was in app development for Amazon despite having graduated from CSU Fullerton. Can you honestly say that the undergraduate CS courses at Stanford are harder than the undergraduate CS courses at SMU?

Old 03-23-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
This is true. Those cities agianst any city vs a city in the Northeast of West Coast cities will aways loose on these hugely biased CD polls
Yes. There's this city in California called "Sacramento" that thinks it's so cool it's actually come close to beating Austin in these CD polls!

Spoiler alert: Sacramento is not cool in real life. The coolest thing to do in Sacramento is to DRIVE AWAY from Sacramento to ski in Tahoe or the Bay Area...oh yeah, we're Sacramento and we're only 90 minutes from the Bay Area...we ARE THE BAY AREA! And Lake Tahoe's two hours away but it's Sacramento because it's part of the Sacramento MSA!

Another reason why MSA's can be deeply flawed and wacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City