Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: South Florida vs Southern Californian beaches
Southern California 21 27.63%
South Florida 55 72.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Is it normal for a July SD day to be over 100, anywhere? How about under 60? A normal day, most days out of the month, not a day here or there?

YES it is normal for the temperature in the city limits of San Diego to have a high over 90 and other areas in the city limits to have highs in the 80s and beach spots to have highs in the 70s. Yes, all at the same time. That is my point. Not some days, EVERY day. So when you look at that average temp, which is probably recorded at the airport right next to the ocean/bay, it doesnt mean that much.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Los Angeles Average summer temp averages about 85 - 95 with many days climbing above the 100 mark

San Diego averages average summer temp is 75 - 85 with some days over the 90 mark

Those averages are low since its held back since now its hotter than it was years ago. I believe it is wrong since here in L.A. this past summer the daily highs were on average, 85-95 and daily lows were at 65-75. I'm not sure about San Diego but I would imagine it was around 10 degrees less hot.

Saying that LA and San Diego averaging in the 70's in summer is wrong.

I spent most of my time in Orange County (by Knotts) and the average high for..

June - high/low - 80/63
July - high/low - 84/65
August - high/low - 92/71
September - high/low - 93/69
October - high/low - 84/62

Weather History for Fullerton, CA | Weather Underground

you can change moth to see the history, and temps.

Also the beach I most frequently went to was Huntington Beach The water temperature averaged low to mid 70's and the August - September daily high/low was 90-75/70-65 with humid weather of dew points in the 70's everyday

Weather History for Weather Station KCAHUNTI4 | Weather Underground

scroll down to see history.
Anyone who knows anything about the weather especially along the CA coast knows that it gets much cooler the closer you get to the ocean. Not a surprise that a place just even 5-10 miles in will see temps almost 10 degrees warmer vs at the beach itself. Can thank the colder Pacific for this.

Cases in point..

Imperial beach..
NOAA National Weather Service

Oceanside

Redondo,

Santa Monica
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...7#.UcFDypyurcs

Now on the occasion when the flow is offshore ( not often ) it does warm up nicely at the beaches.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Look, this is getting kind of annoying now. No matter how any of you guys spin it, SoCal has pretty cold water. It is usually in the upper 60s. Can it be in the 70s? Of course. It's not a perfect science. But usually, the water is 60-something, especially the further north you go. In Florida, the water is between 80 and 90 with 70s and maybe even 60s in places during the cooler months. The beach weather in Florida is overall better than it is in SoCal. You can go to the beach in December in CA, but you will freeze your butt off in the water and maybe even on the beach if not properly dressed. In southern Florida, you can go to the beach year round comfortably. Florid is practically the Caribbean in its southern parts. This is why Florida is beating CA 36 to 12 currently.

I don't care that the water temperature can reach 73. They can fluctuate dramatically everywhere but there is a usual temp and a not so usual temp. All you need to do to prove this is google it and find a reputable water temperature table.
Coastal Water Temperatures

Pacific Ocean Temperatures for California in Summer - Current Results

Pacific Ocean Temperatures on California Coast

all these links state that in August/september the average water temp is in the 70's and since water temps fluctuate between night and day. day water temps are higher than 70 degrees.

Happy, there is your google proof.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Nice give up....
It's not a give up at all. It's fact. You guys in California don't like to hear it because for once CA is losing at something, but sorry. Look at the poll. It's losing. And what I said is why. I don't like to get snippy, but at this point this has gone on for too long.

There ARE average temperatures for everywhere, water and air. There IS a normal daily temperature (or one in the ballpark of - it doesn't have to be exactly 75 every day to be normal, it just has to not be 100) then there are extremes, same goes for water.

The poll says it all, really. And I'm giving up? No, more like walking away with at least 36 people agreeing with me with 12 disagreeing with me. That's giving up?

In all seriousness, this was a genuinely good discussion, though. I enjoyed talking with you guys.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
YES it is normal for the temperature in the city limits of San Diego to have a high over 90 and other areas in the city limits to have highs in the 80s and beach spots to have highs in the 70s. Yes, all at the same time. That is my point. Not some days, EVERY day. So when you look at that average temp, which is probably recorded at the airport right next to the ocean/bay, it doesnt mean that much.
One more post - but we're talking about the immediate coast. This whole thread is about beaches. So temperatures at the coast are relevant. Think that ends it pretty well for me. Nice talk guys, for real.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Coastal Water Temperatures

Pacific Ocean Temperatures for California in Summer - Current Results

Pacific Ocean Temperatures on California Coast

all these links state that in August/september the average water temp is in the 70's and since water temps fluctuate between night and day. day water temps are higher than 70 degrees.

Happy, there is your google proof.
See my post above..

Oh and btw.. The only part of that coast that reaches the 70s ( low 70s ) is down by San Diego except when we have a stronger El' Nino when i have seen them reach the mid 70s and a 70 reading as far north as Santa Monica. It is not very often though and short lived.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/spac.html

Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 PM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Quote:
Los Angeles Average summer temp averages about 85 - 95 with many days climbing above the 100 mark

San Diego averages average summer temp is 75 - 85 with some days over the 90 mark

Those averages are low since its held back since now its hotter than it was years ago. I believe it is wrong since here in L.A. this past summer the daily highs were on average, 85-95 and daily lows were at 65-75. I'm not sure about San Diego but I would imagine it was around 10 degrees less hot.

Saying that LA and San Diego averaging in the 70's in summer is wrong.

I spent most of my time in Orange County (by Knotts) and the average high for..

June - high/low - 80/63
July - high/low - 84/65
August - high/low - 92/71
September - high/low - 93/69
October - high/low - 84/62

Weather History for Fullerton, CA | Weather Underground

you can change moth to see the history, and temps.

Also the beach I most frequently went to was Huntington Beach The water temperature averaged low to mid 70's and the August - September daily high/low was 90-75/70-65 with humid weather of dew points in the 70's everyday

Weather History for Weather Station KCAHUNTI4 | Weather Underground

scroll down to see history.
Ok firstly, from your first link average monthly temperatures for 2012 are: 66.4 for July, 71.6 for August, and 71.2 in September.

And secondly my data for LA is from the National Weather Service. Your's is from wunderground weather. So I think I will trust mine over it anyways.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
One more post - but we're talking about the immediate coast. This whole thread is about beaches. So temperatures at the coast are relevant.

Im trying to get you to understand, that Californias microclimates are much much more extreme than anywhere on the east coast, plus the weather is just better. Beaches vary wildly too, people will pick which beach they want to go to because of its micro climate. Ive always had mid 70 water temps in SoCal beaches that I go to. Now northern California beaches are cold, but its still doesnt stop people from going in. Ive been in the water in Monterey where the temps were much warmer than 100 miles south because the bay is shallower.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 PM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Quote:
Nice give up....
There is nothing to give up here apart from on hearing ridiculous posts about how scientific data is wrong and how you have to actually live there instead of trusting technology, and conspiracy theories about global warming.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
The fact that you deny global warming and argue with Californians about our weather when you do not live here makes it even harder to take you seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City