Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 05:50 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Lol, it's our collective diverse opinions that make the world go round. I cannot get enough of those fire escapes and I love NYC, Philly, and SF grit. Boston is truly a super clean city, though.

Here is a nice view of granite and glass mixed together for you (mix of modern - Four Seasons tower, and old - old banks coverted to high end retail):

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7875...-osA!2e0?hl=en

I couldn't get a good street view of the Prada store here (fantastic when lit up at night), which is across from a pretty cool retrofitted building housing a deBeers store, but below is Armani:

https://maps.google.com/maps?t=m&ll=...classic&dg=opt

City Center won't ever be able to replicate this stuff. Nothing sets it apart from what could be built in the burbs.
You can't get enough of dirt? I like white marble, floor to ceiling glass windows, brand new steel buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Architecturally what you presented is not much different from what I presented. The fact that it pissed you off that I made that comparison means I made my point. I'm not talking about what you can walk to in 2 blocks, I'm talking about the building comparisons I gave.
I like the buildings if that is what you meant. Atlanta has very nice new highrises. I thought you were talking about the built environment.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I like the buildings if that is what you meant. Atlanta has very nice new highrises. I thought you were talking about the built environment.
I don't get what was so bad about the building he shown with the RoC store...I can understand Atlantic Station, but I think the ROC store is nice(I like it at night).

Old 04-24-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't get what was so bad about the building he shown with the RoC store...I can understand Atlantic Station, but I think the ROC store is nice(I like it at night).
People in old cities that are used to air conditioners in the window and renovated old buildings don't know any better. My friends from NYC always talk about how roof top pools and granite counter tops with stainless steel appliances and indoor pet salons come standard here in DC. We are so fortunate to have new buildings. If DC had not have been bombed out, we would have to live in the buildings they have in SF and NYC.

Don't get me wrong, they have some new construction but the way we live is not the norm in those cities.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People in old cities that are used to air conditioners in the window and renovated old buildings don't know any better. My friends from NYC always talk about how roof top pools and granite counter tops with stainless steel appliances and indoor pet salons come standard here in DC. We are so fortunate to have new buildings. If DC had not have been bombed out, we would have to live in the buildings they have in SF and NYC.

Don't get me wrong, they have some new construction but the way we live is not the norm in those cities.
Ahhh the advantages of the sunbelt. Spacious and sprawly.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ahhh the advantages of the sunbelt. Spacious and sprawly.
Would you consider Oakland and San Francisco to be sunbelt cities? Those cities don't seem all that spacious and sprawly to me.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Would you consider Oakland and San Francisco to be sunbelt cities? Those cities don't seem all that spacious and sprawly to me.
Well it appears that MD does thinks DC is cause he's happy that DC has newer housing than NY and SF.

But then, no one is willing to pay 5-10 thousand dollars a month for a shoebox in DC like they would in NY or SF because its not really that desirable

Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Here I present snapshots of street retail in Atlanta. I'm not kidding when I say this stuff looks *exactly* like the pictures above of City Center. So I think it's safe to say that stores aside, City Center and mass Atlanta developments are kind of the same (and actually Buckhead Atlanta will have the same store lineup as City Center when it opens this year):

http://goo.gl/maps/HSB35

http://goo.gl/maps/Q8Ezu
I personally dont have a problem with these designs,They look modern to me.Clean and fresh.Not fussy.
i don't expect everything to be housed in older buildings.Atlanta obviously is not that type of cityb outside of its downtown core.

That 12th and Midtown development is really nice.Especially at night with the illumination in its foyer.Its really beautiful.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
^^^I'm a big fan of 12th and Midtown, actually. However, was using that and AS to point out that CityCenter DC is a very similar, master-planned, single-ownership, standard glass clad, contrived retail/mixed-use development.

MDAllStar keeps speaking so highly of it in a similar context as the shopping one finds in a few other cities. There is no comparison and instead of focusing on how the retail at City Center is going to make downtown DC shopping world class and somehow comparable, he should focus on the other positive attributes of City Center (takes over one of the last remaining development sites downtown, adds residents, provides some shopping period, etc etc), or focus on some of the many more interesting things going on now in the area.

On a sidenote, one that thing that pissed me off about 12th and Midtown was the final result of the Cafe Intermezzo. I went to the DRC meeting when the initial design was proposed, but what resulted is pretty abominable.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
will be good for the DC DT area - did thee store not exist in DT DC prior by and large - am actually surprised if they did not for the most part
That article is pure speculation by MD and the fake 'source' aka retail Assange who thinks that revealing new boutiques is a huge secret--lol

City Center's website is the only credible source and they are posting who's coming without fear of being arrested--lol
Retail | CityCenterDC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City