Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 12:40 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
^^^I'm a big fan of 12th and Midtown, actually. However, was using that and AS to point out that CityCenter DC is a very similar, master-planned, single-ownership, standard glass clad, contrived retail/mixed-use development.

MDAllStar keeps speaking so highly of it in a similar context as the shopping one finds in a few other cities. There is no comparison and instead of focusing on how the retail at City Center is going to make downtown DC shopping world class and somehow comparable, he should focus on the other positive attributes of City Center (takes over one of the last remaining development sites downtown, adds residents, provides some shopping period, etc etc), or focus on some of the many more interesting things going on now in the area.

On a sidenote, one that thing that pissed me off about 12th and Midtown was the final result of the Cafe Intermezzo. I went to the DRC meeting when the initial design was proposed, but what resulted is pretty abominable.
Why are you so surprised? He's always been a huge booster of DC. I simply gave up debating with him a while ago about his incredible exaggerations about everything and anything D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
^^^I'm a big fan of 12th and Midtown, actually. However, was using that and AS to point out that CityCenter DC is a very similar, master-planned, single-ownership, standard glass clad, contrived retail/mixed-use development.

MDAllStar keeps speaking so highly of it in a similar context as the shopping one finds in a few other cities. There is no comparison and instead of focusing on how the retail at City Center is going to make downtown DC shopping world class and somehow comparable, he should focus on the other positive attributes of City Center (takes over one of the last remaining development sites downtown, adds residents, provides some shopping period, etc etc), or focus on some of the many more interesting things going on now in the area.

On a sidenote, one that thing that pissed me off about 12th and Midtown was the final result of the Cafe Intermezzo. I went to the DRC meeting when the initial design was proposed, but what resulted is pretty abominable.
OMG!why don't you like Cafe Intermezzo desi.I happen to think it breaks up the minotony.I tought it was kinds elegant.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:33 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
It's almost good, and it does break up the monotony (the monotony aspect is what I find similar about City Center, and the reason why shopping in such environments will never compare to Back Bay, SF, Chicago, New York, Miami Beach, Georgetown, LA, Seattle, or Philadelphia).

However, it's *way* over the top and looks a little cheap/plasticky. Something simpler would have sufficed. It reminds me a bit of the Cheesecake Factory in Buckhead...it's also not as intimate as either the old location or the downtown franchise.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Actually, you can ask Kidphilly, I have been saying this for years about old buildings. I know you're new here. He will vouch for me.
Yes I think you have always liked new. I dont dislike new I just prefer a mix and some design elements that break monotony. Regardless DC has a ton of development going on and like other cities some is better and some is worse.

This just popped up today - more infill but will be a mix of new structure and leveraging some old.

$60-$70 million Chestnut Street residential development set to begin

Old 04-25-2014, 06:21 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes I think you have always liked new. I dont dislike new I just prefer a mix and some design elements that break monotony. Regardless DC has a ton of development going on and like other cities some is better and some is worse.

This just popped up today - more infill but will be a mix of new structure and leveraging some old.

$60-$70 million Chestnut Street residential development set to begin
Thanks Kidphilly. Yes, I know what you like. I think that is why we disagree so much. I like buildings to look uniform. I also like glass and modern designs. I'm not a fan of older looking architecture. Give me City Center DC with all glass. When people use words like character for an older building, I also see dirt and outdated elements. To each his own. I will never live in a building with wall unit air conditioners or fire escapes. That's what sprinklers in each unit are for. Also, buildings without a 24 hour concierge, roof top pool, and movie theater for $3,000 a month for a one bedroom, forget about it. I just don't see what people get out of living in old buildings. What are the perks?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:

See, here is where we disagree. I like City Center DC. I don't like brick or stone buildings that don't have a lot of glass. If a building doesn't have floor to ceiling windows, what does it have? I don't really like row homes or brown stones so that whole intimate thing doesn't work for me. Kidphilly and many other people on here will tell you, I would rather have large new buildings cover the entire 61.4 sq miles of Washington DC. No single family homes or rowhouse's anywhere. Low intensity development is not my thing.

I don't mind older brick or stone buildings as long as they have all the new stuff inside and out. It's the lack of amenities that gets me about old buildings. What are they good for in comparison to class A new buildings?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
This one will be 40-stories with 348 units.

340 Fremont joins cluster of luxury highrise housing under construction in San Francisco - San Francisco Business Times

Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Lovely proposal. In anti-everything Berkeley tho, the developers will need our prayers.

$100 million hotel project could transform Berkeley skyline - San Francisco Business Times

Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
It's almost good, and it does break up the monotony (the monotony aspect is what I find similar about City Center, and the reason why shopping in such environments will never compare to Back Bay, SF, Chicago, New York, Miami Beach, Georgetown, LA, Seattle, or Philadelphia).

However, it's *way* over the top and looks a little cheap/plasticky. Something simpler would have sufficed. It reminds me a bit of the Cheesecake Factory in Buckhead...it's also not as intimate as either the old location or the downtown franchise.
I will tell you some old buildings I like. The Old Post Office in DC. The Plaza in NYC. If you're going to have an old building, to me it needs to look like that. These cheap renovated buildings with fire escapes though? Just no...

What do you think is more important, what is inside the building or how it looks from the outside? I ask that because it seems like you have very low standards on what you expect out of a building. Just curious because I never hear you talk about what is inside of these buildings you talk about. I think both are equally important, but most of the old buildings don't have any of the stuff I have talked about.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
I will tell you some old buildings I like. The Old Post Office in DC. The Plaza in NYC. If you're going to have an old building, to me it needs to look like that. These cheap renovated buildings with fire escapes though? Just no...

What do you think is more important, what is inside the building or how it looks from the outside? I ask that because it seems like you have very low standards on what you expect out of a building. Just curious because I never hear you talk about what is inside of these buildings you talk about. I think both are equally important, but most of the old buildings don't have any of the stuff I have talked about.
Quote:
Thanks Kidphilly. Yes, I know what you like. I think that is why we disagree so much. I like buildings to look uniform. I also like glass and modern designs. I'm not a fan of older looking architecture. Give me City Center DC with all glass. When people use words like character for an older building, I also see dirt and outdated elements. To each his own. I will never live in a building with wall unit air conditioners or fire escapes. That's what sprinklers in each unit are for. Also, buildings without a 24 hour concierge, roof top pool, and movie theater for $3,000 a month for a one bedroom, forget about it. I just don't see what people get out of living in old buildings. What are the perks?
Old buildings don't have to be without amenities - and also have large windows in many cases

Renderings: Rafael Viñoly's Vision for the Atlantic Building

Images of The Atlantic Building, Philadelphia, U.S.A. | Images | EMPORIS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City