Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 04:41 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
New York (Supertall): the Big Bend.

The Big Bend: A U-shaped skyscraper that aims to be the longest in the world - CNN.com

I like it, it is being put right in front of Central Park, so will appear to be like a "gateway" of sorts to the park. Kind of a really cool concept and a really cool out-of-the-ordinary design.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cps...7_untitled.jpg
That's just an idea, for now. I don't even think it's even an official proposal yet. It would be cool to see though.

In the meantime, NYC has 10 more supertalls under construction right now... 10 at once! Including one in Brooklyn, which will be the first supertall outside Manhattan in NYC, and it also means that NYC will soon have 3 separate CBDs with supertalls.

There are also another 10 or so supertalls proposed/in planning in NYC right now. And many more non-supertall skyscrapers planned and U/C. Too much to keep track of tbh. It's a lot, even for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 12:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Across the river in Northern New Jersey,

Pulaski Skyway renovation .... in progress .... set to open Summer 2017.

Making repairs, re paving, re painting the current skyway, modernizing it but keeping the cool rustic North Jersey look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRJXdUiVKwY

Old 04-05-2017, 12:44 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Bayonne Bridge "raise the roadway" ..... in progress .... new roadway is complete.

Literally raising the roadway on the current bridge to accommodate new Panamax ships.

Port Authority Video

Old 04-06-2017, 07:21 PM

226 posts, read 280,437 times
Boeing lands in Plano's $3 billion Legacy West project | Real Estate ...

Old 04-07-2017, 09:39 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I have a couple of pictures to share. I took a picture of the new tallest in philly the other week. It's almost done now

Another recent pic I took the south street bridge, still needs the spire to take it to 1,121ft:

From the Cira Green Park:

I tried posting this before but included a rendering that was not mine so it got deleted, but Philadelphia is in the process of capping portions of two of it's interstate highways.

A new 11 acre park has been announced that will go a long way to connecting center city back to the river. It is 95% funded so hopefully it will become reality sooner than later. In my opinion, this is truly a transformation project that could be a real attraction for the city.

A portion of I-676, or Vine St. Expressway, is finishing up being capped. Here's a picture I have of it from last summer:

Get an idea of what they have capped: http://www.cap676.com/wp-content/upl...roject-676.png
I really like these greater public projects like creating riverfront park land trails and especially the capping of freeways. Is the cap going to be parkspace or does it have other components?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:44 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
New York (Supertall): the Big Bend.

The Big Bend: A U-shaped skyscraper that aims to be the longest in the world - CNN.com

I like it, it is being put right in front of Central Park, so will appear to be like a "gateway" of sorts to the park. Kind of a really cool concept and a really cool out-of-the-ordinary design.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cps...7_untitled.jpg
Not sure why others here think this is such a bad idea. It would have architects, planners, and engineers involved.

Regardless, I think it's a really cool concept too. Something truly unique, and I would love to see how the "loop floors" would look/feel like. I hope this moves forward.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:04 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Not sure why others here think this is such a bad idea. It would have architects, planners, and engineers involved.

Regardless, I think it's a really cool concept too. Something truly unique, and I would love to see how the "loop floors" would look/feel like. I hope this moves forward.
Very interesting.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

Makes me just wonder how well Philadelphians would accept that loopity loop skyscraper?

It surely can be built and anchored in the solid granite bedrock under Manhattan. That's not a reason to question it. BUT IS IT REALLY- a great Manhattan addition that's COOL? Is it just maybe a start in a trend of "looptidy-loop buildings" around central park buildings to come?? Along with the needle straight-up kinds. One Architect said --- a THASH CAN INSPIRED HIM.

Maybe it would look stunning in CC Philly? Or University City??

* We will see if it gets built I Manhattan and these needle skyscrapers and possible arching-types get more common?

Like I say? I'd rather NYC maintain - its old set-back requirements for skyscrapers. It made the city's skyline once WITH SPIRES of buildings over boxes and going straight-up.

I mentioned DUBAI. I once thought it was just overkill and a city gone amuck in over-bearing and over-zealous monstrosities?

But being it has overwhelmingly American Architecture firms designing its buildings. It has built designs they can't in the states with added cost and architecture features that add cost.

So in look to layout. Dubai has proved me wrong in REALLY DOING GREAT DESIGNS ANY AMERICAN CITY WOULD BE PROUD AND LUCKY TO HAVE.

I thing Architecturally. It is pretty superior to what is getting built in might NYC today. Just my opinion.

Just this view alone has stunning designs
more worthy of a Manhattan then it is building today.
Really is the plain loop building or other skinny plain designs COOL and STUNNING? compared to some here?

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-07-2017, 12:22 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Makes me just wonder how well Philadelphians would accept that loopity loop skyscraper?

It surely can be built and anchored in the solid granite bedrock under Manhattan. That's not a reason to question it. BUT IS IT REALLY- a great Manhattan addition that's COOL? Is it just maybe a start in a trend of "looptidy-loop buildings" around central park buildings to come?? Along with the needle straight-up kinds. One Architect said --- a THASH CAN INSPIRED HIM.

Maybe it would look stunning in CC Philly? Or University City??

* We will see if it gets built I Manhattan and these needle skyscrapers and possible arching-types get more common?

Like I say? I'd rather NYC maintain - its old set-back requirements for skyscrapers. It made the city's skyline once WITH SPIRES of buildings over boxes and going straight-up.

I mentioned DUBAI. I once thought it was just overkill and a city gone amuck in over-bearing and over-zealous monstrosities?

But being it has overwhelmingly American Architecture firms designing its buildings. It has built designs they can't in the states with added cost and architecture features that add cost.

So in look to layout. Dubai has proved me wrong in REALLY DOING GREAT DESIGNS ANY AMERICAN CITY WOULD BE PROUD AND LUCKY TO HAVE.

I thing Architecturally. It is pretty superior to what is getting built in might NYC today. Just my opinion.

Just this view alone has stunning designs
more worthy of a Manhattan then it is building today.
Really is the plain loop building or other skinny plain designs COOL and STUNNING? compared to some here?
Most of those Dubai towers are hideous imo. A few are nice tho.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:51 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I really like these greater public projects like creating riverfront park land trails and especially the capping of freeways. Is the cap going to be parkspace or does it have other components?
I'm pretty certain this initial 11 acre portion is going to be strictly a park.

If you look at any of the renderings though, the idea is that the park will draw interest and investment on some other waterfront properties

http://media.phillyvoice.com/media/i....width-800.jpg

For instance, last week the real estate firm that owns One World Trade bought 3 of the piers down the street from where the new park will be.

N.Y. developer Durst buys pier sites of Dave & Buster's, Morgan's, with eye to apartments

Quote:
In an interview, Alexander Durst, chief development officer, said the company was drawn to the site by its existing public spaces, such as the Race Street Pier, and the long-discussed plans for a park over Interstate 95 that would connect Old City with Penn’s Landing. Last month, those plans received about $190 million in city and state funding commitments.

“There’s quite a bit of potential on that waterfront,” Durst said. “There’s a lot of transformation that may continue to occur from a post-industrial site to something more recreational and residential.”
They aren't the only NYers to drop some cash in Philly recently either.

The group behind the World Trade Center transportation hub and numerous other major projects has bought a huge piece of land that encompasses North Philadelphia/Broad Street Station and they plan to transform it into a mixed use district. This is a bit of a pie in the sky proposal, but they have already sank millions into cleaning up some of the old industrial factories and laid out the first phase of buildings to be built.

Broad Street Station | HFZ Capital Group

Quote:
The North Philadelphia Transit Center project is a venture between HFZ, Amtrak and other partners to redevelop parcels owned by Amtrak that are adjacent to the Temple University Medical campus into a mixed use Transit Oriented Development of up to 4 million square feet. The project will stimulate the redevelopment of a currently impacted area, and will be a catalyst for the expansion and upgrading of Temple’s medical complex. Upon completion, the new North Philadelphia Transit Center will be a major asset for the City of Philadelphia.
The $1.5 billion rebuild of Camden's downtown is underway now too. NJ through the kitchen sink at companies and they have taken the bait. In the next year, nearly a dozen companies including the 76ers and Subura of America will be relocating their HQs to Camden. The city landed a big boon last month when 3 other companies announced that they will relocate nearly 1000 employees for what will be dubbed as Camden Tower, the tallest building on the cities waterfront. I am getting heavy Newport Jersey City vibes, which I am okay with ha.

http://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/17/1...tower-approved

Just to wrap up all of Philadelphia's master plans, Brandywine Realty has raised an ungodly amount of money to start the Schuylkill Yards and new renderings came out last week: New Renderings Revealed of SHoP and West 8's $3.5 Billion Schuylkill Yards Project | ArchDaily

UCity Square, another master planned 6.5 million sq ft office district, has broken ground on their first building and it is well over half way leased even though it's a hole in the ground that won't be done until the end of next year.
http://philly.curbed.com/2017/1/17/1...iversity-city/

And the final thing worth mentioning. The upgrading of The Port of Philadelphia. The Army Corps of Engineers spent years dredging the Delaware River deeper. They are done now and the Panamax ships have arrived.
The state is doubling down and adding a $300 million Capitol investment to buy bigger and more cranes. The Delaware Valley has been outpacing the inland empire in California for the most million foot plus warehouses this decade. Combine that with the two new Sunoco gas pipelines being constructed, and you got thousands of new jobs that don't require a college degree.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...html?mobi=true

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 04-07-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City