Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 10:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
If you're from Europe, do you really care about 200 year old architecture and 250 year history?

I would say yes. Washington D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I would say yes. Washington D.C.
Yes, but those are landmarks and very symbolic of the country. No offence, but the landmarks in Philly aren't that interesting...I mean, the Liberty Bell I guess and the steps Rocky was on from the Philly Museum of Art...but I mean...that's it. Philly isn't scenic either like say...SF is. It's not an iconic city. It's no wonder it doesn't get many tourists, not to mention being wedged between the country's capitol and the country's largest city.

Just saying...if I was from Paris or Florence or Barcelona, Philly's architecture isn't going to impress me.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Note the key words I bolded. When does anything in Philadelphia go "according to plan"? Pretty much never. The city just lacks the get up and get it done attitude of Boston, SF, DC, NY, and Chicago. I'd say maybe 2 or 3 out of the top ten on your list may actually happen.

Any progress in Philadelphia is always rather small compared to the other cities I listed. How is that development of the waterfront coming along? It isn't.
I guess you're not very observant lol

I clearly listed next to each project which one's are already under construction, and in the top 10, two of them already are. The third, FMC tower is in site prep. The only two projects that are a maybe are the W & Element by Westin and 1213 Walnut in the top 10.

Most of the projects along the Delaware right now are rowhomes and townhomes or conversions of old factories. It's going to be some time until the Delaware really takes off.

It seems like your jealous at the amount of construction in Philadelphia this year.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:05 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Yes, but those are landmarks and very symbolic of the country. No offence, but the landmarks in Philly aren't that interesting...I mean, the Liberty Bell I guess and the steps Rocky was on from the Philly Museum of Art...but I mean...that's it. Philly isn't scenic either like say...SF is. It's not an iconic city. It's no wonder it doesn't get many tourists, not to mention being wedged between the country's capitol and the country's largest city.

Just saying...if I was from Paris or Florence or Barcelona, Philly's architecture isn't going to impress me.
I'm not going to waste time rebutting each of your points, but all I will say is that your lack of knowledge about Philadelphia speaks volumes. In fact, your dismissal of the historic value of the city is pretty insulting to American history.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Maybe. Does Boston have a W hotel? Most certainly. What is it with this town. It is so obvious most big city east coast tourists go right by Philadelphia.

That W hotel will never be built. Philly can't support it.

Take a look at the cheap sale of the Marriot. Why? Too many empty rooms.

Center City Philly's biggest hotel sold, cheap
Really? Never? That's a strong word.

The Marriot is an old hotel, that's why it sold for cheap.

Also where does it say too many empty rooms? Nowhere. It even says in the article that 2013 was the busiest year ever for the hotel. You need to be more observant my friend.

Why would visitors stay in an old outdated hotel when they can stay in the Loew's right across the street? Or the Hotel Palomar, or the Hyatt at Bellevue, or the Ritz-Carlton, or the Sofitel, or the Rittenhouse Hotel, or the Hotel Monaco? There are so many better options for hotels in Philadelphia than the Marriot.

Even the outdated Four Seasons realizes it's getting old and is upgrading to a new space atop the new Comcast Innovation and Technology Center once completed.

Philadelphia consistently has 30 million+ visitors a year.

But you're right, no one visits Philadelphia.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not going to waste time rebutting each of your points, but all I will say is that your lack of knowledge about Philadelphia speaks volumes. In fact, your dismissal of the historic value of the city is pretty insulting to American history.
I'm comparing American history to European History and it doesn't compare which is why that isn't the #1 thing on most tourist's bucket list.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Maybe. Does Boston have a W hotel? Most certainly. What is it with this town. It is so obvious most big city east coast tourists go right by Philadelphia.

That W hotel will never be built. Philly can't support it.
I hope your full-time job isn't being a psychic. You couldn't be any more off-base.

"Los Angeles-based SBE, which is also known for its nightclubs, announced in December that the city's first SLS luxury-boutique property would open in 2016. The 47-story SLS Hotel and Residences Philadelphia, which will be developed by Dranoff Properties, will offer 150 rooms as well as 125 luxury condominiums.

Philadelphia "is as culturally vibrant and dynamic as any city in the U.S.," said SBE Hotel Group President Arash Azarbarzin. "Working with a partner like Carl Dranoff enables us to collaborate with one of the foremost developers in the country."

Philadelphia's first W hotel will be part of a dual-branded Starwood property breaking ground near the Pennsylvania Convention Center this year. The project, which will include a 460-room Element hotel in addition to the 240-room W, is being built by Chestlen Development and is slated for completion in 2017."

Let's leave the predictions to people who are actually knowledgeable about things.

Hotel scene energized in Philadelphia - Travel Weekly

Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I'm comparing American history to European History and it doesn't compare which is why that isn't the #1 thing on most tourist's bucket list.
Obviously European and American history is different, but that doesn't make it any less interesting. Just as so many Americans love to make trips to London, Paris and Rome and take in history, Europeans are very intrigued by American history, because it's something new to them.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Philadelphia has an SLS coming in, which is more exclusive and far far far superior to the W hotel brand. If that W never gets off the ground, as long as you get the SLS, I see zero issues.

W's are more in the league of Ritz-Carlton (it's arch-rival), Marriott Marquis, or Renaissance (and a few select others). Being only the fourth city in the country with an SLS, that's more relevant personally than being like the 15th with a W.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:

Yes, because you know Atlanta is SOOOO interesting. Let me tell you! Woooo! What a blast.

You claim Philly isn't interesting and then name THE LIBERTY BELL and the ROCKY STEPS. HAHAHAHA.

It's so obvious you know NOTHING about Philadelphia.

Largest collection of Colonial homes in the United States? Longest occupied residential street in the United States? Great art collection at the Museum of Art and the Barnes Foundation? Mutter Museum? Eastern State Penitentiary? Penn Museum of Archeology? Independence Hall? Constitution House and Constitution Center? Great restaurant and food scene? Reading Terminal Market? Italian Market? Betsy Ross House? The US Mint? Please Touch Museum? Franklin Institute?

Want to know what there is to do in Philadelphia? Have a look here:
31 Reasons Philadelphia Is The Most Underrated City In America

There is a reason they're building the "Museum of the American Revolution" in Philadelphia. Not DC, not Boston, not NYC.

Critics still hate revised design for Museum of the American Revolution in Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City