Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Mostly jealousy and envy. People hate for a city to do well unless it's their own. I don't understand why people wouldn't want every city in America to be great. I don't hate on other cities unless they are personally attacking my own city and even then, I usually just defend my city instead of trying to drag their city through the mud which they seem so keen on doing. Philly posters are some of the worst on here for that too so don't throw stones in a glass house. Infact, you're one of the main ones too.

I don't think we could say most people on this website try not to hate unless provoked though. Probably about 99.999999999999999999% of the posters on this message board will hate on another city when they see projects moving in that city or when nice things are happening in that city. That's what jealousy and envy will do.
Ms./Sir

I asked a simple question in regards to this thread. I rarely post on this redundant forum anymore, and I don't believe I've even posted in this specific thread. You attacking me saying I'm one of the main anything is just my point/question. This thread is about upcoming projects/developments for cities, I notice the trend is that anytime a post is made in regards to Philly projects, random people (you're probably included) go on random rants about nothing or looking for any loophole to pick a fight. Lol..but I mean listen if this is "fun", carry on guy/girl. I actually have a life.

Ps. I do agree that we should want all cities to get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
Ms./Sir

I asked a simple question in regards to this thread. I rarely post on this redundant forum anymore, and I don't believe I've even posted in this specific thread. You attacking me saying I'm one of the main anything is just my point/question. This thread is about upcoming projects/developments for cities, I notice the trend is that anytime a post is made in regards to Philly projects, random people (you're probably included) go on random rants about nothing or looking for any loophole to pick a fight. Lol..but I mean listen if this is "fun", carry on guy/girl. I actually have a life.

Ps. I do agree that we should want all cities to get better.
I can remember you making slick comments about DC but maybe I am mistaken. If so, I apologize. People on this website in many threads post pure hate for a majority of their time here. Some of the posters, maybe your not included, are the worst offenders. In fact, DC may be the only city on here with a large presence whose posters for the most part talk about DC only and don't hate or give negative comments about things going on in other cities. New York posters usually don't do it either.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:47 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Philly boosters turn a blind eye to the real problem. Philly is too blue collar and too poor. And there is nothing on the horizon to change that, short of PA cutting off all assitance until those poeple up sticks and move somewhere else where there are jobs for them. And we all know that will never happen.
Although my posting history indicates otherwise, I honestly hate when Philly constantly dominates the thread on one that should give other cities equal attention -- but I think it's important to address comments like this.

I think you simply have an inability to look to the future and realize that positive change in a city like Philadelphia is not only possible, but inevitable. As I said before, the city is not without its challenges, but its leaders and citizens have more determination and vision than they have had in years. You can have your doubts, or focus on the negatives, but it does not reflect the whole reality -- not to mention is counterproductive.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I worked for Starwood for 5 years. The W in Philadelphia is not only going to happen, but it's a priority project.

I'm not sure I'd even put W Hotels in the league of Ritz-Carlton. The St. Regis Brand (and some of the Luxury Collection boutique properties) is Starwood's more direct competition with Ritz-Carlton. W hotels try to offer more of a trendier, boutique feel than super luxury. Marriott Marquis and Renaissance are closer in terms of being in the same tier, but still a very different experience.

SLS Hotels are in line with Mandarin Oriental and are definitely on a higher tier than those mentioned above.
What tier would the following hotels be in? You seem to be an expert in the business.

Conrad
Trump Hotel
Waldorf Astoria

Old 04-09-2014, 02:54 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Wow. Atlanta has 2 W hotels...one in downtown and one in Midtown.
Yeah, will take the three Kimptons over a W any day IMHO

But at this point no W's - unless you include the Alofts

Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM

560 posts, read 667,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah, will take the three Kimptons over a W any day IMHO

But at this point no W's - unless you include the Alofts

It isn't like Atlanta's three W hotels are the best they have. The city also has 2 Ritz Cartons, a St.Regis, a Four Seasons, and a Mandarin Oriental, to name a few. There's also a 3rd Ritz Carlton about an hour east of downtown.

I agree the Kimptons are nice hotels. But not on the level of a St.Regis or Mandarin Oriental.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
It isn't like Atlanta's three W hotels are the best they have. The city also has 2 Ritz Cartons, a St.Regis, a Four Seasons, and a Mandarin Oriental, to name a few. There's also a 3rd Ritz Carlton about an hour east of downtown.

I agree the Kimptons are nice hotels. But not on the level of a St.Regis or Mandarin Oriental.
Not a pissing match on hotels

Ritz and Four Seasons covered. No Madarin here or St. Regis

This is new Four Seasons replacing the old - will have quite the view and tallest exposed glass elevator in the world I believe

New Comcast Tower Will House Two Restaurants, Hotel | Foobooz

But not sure the point here - the W never came to fruition - I personally prefer Kimptons (or even a sofitel or Lowes really) products to W's anyway - W's feel very 1995/2000 - poor mans Grand IMHO - still may come in the form of a 600ft tower but we will see...

This is a hotel I really like how was redone recently

Philadelphia Hotels | The Monaco, A Boutique Hotel in Center City

and one more Kimpton coming as well into a grand old building on the parkway
Coming Attraction: Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Officially Announces Plans For A Brand-New Property On The Benjamin Franklin Parkway | Uwishunu - Philadelphia Blog About Things to Do, Events, Restaurants, Food, Nightlife and More

In the end am a bit of a shill to Marriott with work and points though

Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM

World's Tallest Tetris Game - Real Estate Bisnow (Philadelphia)

Last edited by kidphilly; 04-09-2014 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I worked for Starwood for 5 years. The W in Philadelphia is not only going to happen, but it's a priority project.

I'm not sure I'd even put W Hotels in the league of Ritz-Carlton. The St. Regis Brand (and some of the Luxury Collection boutique properties) is Starwood's more direct competition with Ritz-Carlton. W hotels try to offer more of a trendier, boutique feel than super luxury. Marriott Marquis and Renaissance are closer in terms of being in the same tier, but still a very different experience.

SLS Hotels are in line with Mandarin Oriental and are definitely on a higher tier than those mentioned above.
How would you rank Le Meridian? I've always thought of it as an equal to Mandarin Oriental but not too sure.

Agreed on everything you said. Frankly, I didn't know there were so many hotel snobs on this forum, I am definitely one, in my opinion, where you stay can really pad your perception of a city. I'm sure people read my posts and go like "why's this guy like Tucson and San Diego so much" because that back breaking staff (they do EVERYTHING without complaints and a very nice smile on their faces) at the J.W. Marriott resort in Tucson and the Marriott Marquis Marina (twin towers on the bay) in San Diego were exciting places to stay. Literally enjoyed spending as much time in my hotel and it's surrounding areas, almost as much as the actual cities themselves. Wonderful establishments, miss both.

I know there are better hotels but like kidphilly, I love racking up points with United Airlines (also a presidential club member, gold), American Airlines (presidential club member), and Marriott, always stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, stellar view of everything. I think the original "J.W. Marriott" and "Marriott Marquis" brands are Marriott's highest hotel tiers, beyond that, it becomes hotel brands they acquired (the more exclusive and higher end ones).

Have also stayed in Four Seasons and Le Meridian, both are wonderful, depending on the city (like Toronto) I often go with a local boutique hotel.

I've also stayed at the W brand in New Orleans, quite frankly, I didn't like the hotel at all. It was stellar I suppose but to be honest, it's a mediocre "luxury" brand. I'll take the comparison to a Lexus back, Lexus' are awesome cars regardless if they're below Benz, the W in my opinion cant compete with higher brands. Next time in New Orleans, I'll go with something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City