Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Dallas which city do you prefer?
Seattle 259 67.98%
Dallas 122 32.02%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
COL and weather. Seattle's weather sucks big time. I'll take the Big D over Seattle anyday. I don't understand why anyone would live in Seattle. Anybody that pays the high cost of living in Seattle for 8 months of rain is out of their mind. If I'm going to get ripped off every month of my life on COL, I'm going to pick southern California. If I'm going to pay out the yang yang then give me something for my money.
It's a matter of preference. I can't stand the putrid air quality of Southern California, and I passionately hate Texas' climate. And the "8 months of rain" is more like 4 months of awesome warm weather, 2 months of lovely brisk weather with occasional sprinkles, and 6 months of cloudy weather with intermittent sprinkles. A lot of folks think that occasional sprinkles is perfectly fine and produces some of the most gorgeous vegetation found in any US big city.

But if you care about how far money will take you, then live out in the plains or desert and buy a big McMansion, which will provide the pleasure of big empty spaces and chain stores. Some folks like that, and some folks like myself love the ability to step out of an apartment and have access to any desired amenity. It's been a long time since I've used a car and I don't miss it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:18 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,631 times
Quote:
COL and weather. Seattle's weather sucks big time. I'll take the Big D over Seattle anyday. I don't understand why anyone would live in Seattle. Anybody that pays the high cost of living in Seattle for 8 months of rain is out of their mind. If I'm going to get ripped off every month of my life on COL, I'm going to pick southern California. If I'm going to pay out the yang yang then give me something for my money.
To me, the Dallas area has some of the worst weather in the country. Blazing and uncomfortable summers that last half a lifetime, plus cold and wintry weather. No thanks!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:48 PM

157 posts, read 192,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
To me, the Dallas area has some of the worst weather in the country. Blazing and uncomfortable summers that last half a lifetime, plus cold and wintry weather. No thanks!
You forgot to mention the tornadoes....

Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 PM

157 posts, read 192,132 times
Quote:
Seattle has the best weather in America in my opinion and possibly even the best in the world. Different strokes for different folks. I do find a trend with people who like sunny weather.... It never seems to dawn on you guys that some people actually like rain and/or snow, I personally dislike snow but I know people who are Denver Coloradans for life, and it snows every winter there.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:51 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It's a matter of preference. I can't stand the putrid air quality of Southern California, and I passionately hate Texas' climate. And the "8 months of rain" is more like 4 months of awesome warm weather, 2 months of lovely brisk weather with occasional sprinkles, and 6 months of cloudy weather with intermittent sprinkles. A lot of folks think that occasional sprinkles is perfectly fine and produces some of the most gorgeous vegetation found in any US big city.

But if you care about how far money will take you, then live out in the plains or desert and buy a big McMansion, which will provide the pleasure of big empty spaces and chain stores. Some folks like that, and some folks like myself love the ability to step out of an apartment and have access to any desired amenity. It's been a long time since I've used a car and I don't miss it at all.
There's a lot of good things about Seattle. I just don't like the long stretch of cloudy, drizzly weather. That's the part that isn't for me. Yeah Dallas has the long summer and Milwaukee has the long winter so most places have plenty of bad weather.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForAChange View Post
Seattle has the best weather in America in my opinion and possibly even the best in the world. Different strokes for different folks. I do find a trend with people who like sunny weather.... It never seems to dawn on you guys that some people actually like rain and/or snow, I personally dislike snow but I know people who are Denver Coloradans for life, and it snows every winter there.
I think Seattle has some of the worst weather. Southern California has the best weather. Snow and rain is fine but not 6 months straight of it. I've always heard that Seattle has a high suicide rate because of the weather. If people are depressed and kill themselves because of the weather then I would say the weather is pretty bad. No thanks. I'll keep the sunshine and I'll keep living.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Me too. 100+ degree heat and then the occasional blizzard in the winter. Along with tornadoes in the spring and fall? Yuck.

I've never been to Seattle so I know my opinion doesn't matter ... but Dallas doesn't really strike me as anything but a large metro area whose only identity is to have an economy, and quite frankly I found the landscape boring (along with the architecture). From what I've heard, Seattle has a gorgeous scenery at least, so I'm going with Seattle.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Me too. 100+ degree heat and then the occasional blizzard in the winter. Along with tornadoes in the spring and fall? Yuck.

I've never been to Seattle so I know my opinion doesn't matter ... but Dallas doesn't really strike me as anything but a large metro area whose only identity is to have an economy, and quite frankly I found the landscape boring (along with the architecture). From what I've heard, Seattle has a gorgeous scenery at least, so I'm going with Seattle.
I've been to Seattle and Dallas. Yes the scenery in the Seattle area is pretty good. I've hiked part of Mount Rainier. Mount Rainier is a nice park with very good scenery. I definitely have to give props to Seattle for the scenery. Western WA in general has pretty good scenery. Yes Dallas's scenery is pretty bad. It's pretty dull and boring. That's the main reason why Seattle's scenery is good because all the cool, cloudy days prevents things from drying out so much in the summertime. So instead of a lot of brown stuff and small trees you have a lot of greenery and tall trees. The climate makes the scenery.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:05 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post

I can agree, Dallas is flat but the metro area does have hills between Dallas & Fort Worth. Also it has the Trinity Forest, and while it's no competition since Seattle blows Dallas out of the water in that category, at least it does have some type of variety. If you want flat go to the Texas panhandle.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:48 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
Quote:
I think Seattle has some of the worst weather. Southern California has the best weather. Snow and rain is fine but not 6 months straight of it. I've always heard that Seattle has a high suicide rate because of the weather. If people are depressed and kill themselves because of the weather then I would say the weather is pretty bad. No thanks. I'll keep the sunshine and I'll keep living.
You can always identify someone who has no idea about what they're talking about when they begin spewing age-old high suicide rate myths that has been proven false.

How about you travel a little more and educate yourself before running off mindless opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City