Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 01:27 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
I don't get that either. Baltimore has such a terrible reputation that overrating it is nearly impossible. Someone would have to say something positive about the place first.
I would agree. I don't see how Baltimore is overrated. If anything, it is underrated due to the negative comments always being made about its crime issues. I also feel that Norfolk is highly underrated, especially its metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 06:10 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I would agree. I don't see how Baltimore is overrated. If anything, it is underrated due to the negative comments always being made about its crime issues. I also feel that Norfolk is highly underrated, especially its metro area.
If you lived on the East Coast, trust me, you'd hear Baltimore spoken of positively many a day. Not always positive, sure, but much, much, more often than the impression one would get from touring this website...

I grew up meeting people from Baltimore, hearing about it on a frequent basis, as I grew up within 3 hours of the city. So it definitely wasn't as much gloom and trouble as you hear, here...

Old 06-09-2016, 07:48 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Well, if you don't think NYC or Boston are as great as they are made up to be, I doubt you would find any city to live up to its hype.

FWIW, I have been to Miami countless times. It's a dump.
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a dump. Boston is a nice place but the weather really sucks as bad as the drivers. Miami is possibly the most international city in the USA (outside of NYC), perhaps even the capital of Latin America with some of the best weather and food in the country - yes better seafood than Boston.

I would put it in the under-rated category. Especially now you can go there and take a 3 day cruise to Bahamas or Cuba

Old 06-09-2016, 01:26 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
If you lived on the East Coast, trust me, you'd hear Baltimore spoken of positively many a day. Not always positive, sure, but much, much, more often than the impression one would get from touring this website...

I grew up meeting people from Baltimore, hearing about it on a frequent basis, as I grew up within 3 hours of the city. So it definitely wasn't as much gloom and trouble as you hear, here...
I beg to differ, having lived in the DC metro area for about four years, it seems to me that those who spoke about and boosted Baltimore constantly are those who either grew up there or have some kind of deep affiliation with the city (family, favorite sports team, etc.).. Other than these people, very rarely did anyone mention or even bring up the existence of Baltimore, in fact, most Washingtonians seem to turn a cold shoulder to Baltimore and would rather not be associated with the city in any way or form.

IMHO, I personally visited Baltimore a few times on weekend trips in hopes of understanding the hype and passion that some people have about the city, unfortunately every time I went I found the city to be dirty/poorly maintained, crime-ridden, overall visually unappealing, and far from what I would consider an ideal place to live..

Old 06-09-2016, 01:37 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
I beg to differ, having lived in the DC metro area for about four years, it seems to me that those who spoke about and boosted Baltimore constantly are those who either grew up there or have some kind of deep affiliation with the city (family, favorite sports team, etc.).. Other than these people, very rarely did anyone mention or even bring up the existence of Baltimore, in fact, most Washingtonians seem to turn a cold shoulder to Baltimore and would rather not be associated with the city in any way or form.

IMHO, I personally visited Baltimore a few times on weekend trips in hopes of understanding the hype and passion that some people have about the city, unfortunately every time I went I found the city to be dirty/poorly maintained, crime-ridden, overall visually unappealing, and far from what I would consider an ideal place to live..
Well, DC isn't a good comparison. I'm from Northern VA, and in the DC area, most people don't have positive perceptions of Baltimore. That's DC, though. Still, Baltimore is close enough that you know everything about it isn't ugly...

In Central VA and the Tidewater, plenty of people have **** to Baltimore and speak highly of it. In North Carolina, there is a nice amount of people with Baltimore ties who praise it often. I lived in the Southern Tier of New York, and for such a rural area, there was an unusual amount of people who loved Baltimore. In some parts of South Central PA, Baltimore is the closest major city and is beloved....

For the record, I'm personally not a fan of Baltimore. I'm just pointing out that in 4.5 years on this board, I've found that the negative perception of Baltimore isn't exactly reflective of the average person I met on the East Coast, when Baltimore comes up (outside of DC, of course)...

Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Well, DC isn't a good comparison. I'm from Northern VA, and in the DC area, most people don't have positive perceptions of Baltimore. That's DC, though. Still, Baltimore is close enough that you know everything about it isn't ugly...

In Central VA and the Tidewater, plenty of people have **** to Baltimore and speak highly of it. In North Carolina, there is a nice amount of people with Baltimore ties who praise it often. I lived in the Southern Tier of New York, and for such a rural area, there was an unusual amount of people who loved Baltimore. In some parts of South Central PA, Baltimore is the closest major city and is beloved....

For the record, I'm personally not a fan of Baltimore. I'm just pointing out that in 4.5 years on this board, I've found that the negative perception of Baltimore isn't exactly reflective of the average person I met on the East Coast, when Baltimore comes up (outside of DC, of course)...
Just reading this trail of comments, and scratching my head. Baltimore is loved and beloved and praised by an unusual amount of people in various geographic locals? Who are these people and why are they acting like this? Bmore is one of the last cities that I would love for just the city, unless of course I was from there. If I feel anything, it would be sorry that the city over time has lost its stature, and could use a boost.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:25 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a dump. Boston is a nice place but the weather really sucks as bad as the drivers. Miami is possibly the most international city in the USA (outside of NYC), perhaps even the capital of Latin America with some of the best weather and food in the country - yes better seafood than Boston.

I would put it in the under-rated category. Especially now you can go there and take a 3 day cruise to Bahamas or Cuba
Yeah I would like to know what makes Miami a dump?! Miami has it's dumpy parts just like NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Boston, etc do, but the city is far from a dump.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:27 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
Sorry to not play by the rules, but I can usually find something good in most cities.

Overrated: Orlando
Underrated: Philly (Although Philly sports fans are a special kind of obnoxious.)

Old 06-09-2016, 03:35 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Sorry to not play by the rules, but I can usually find something good in most cities.

Underrated: Philly (Although Philly sports fans are a special kind of obnoxious.)
How is Orlando overrated? I never heard a person in my entire life say they liked Orlando?

Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

How is Orlando overrated? It is one of the fastest growing metros in the country for a reason..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City