Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 12:14 AM

387 posts, read 356,337 times

Advertisements

If you are going to blame Obama (and I'm not a fan of him) for every vague unrelated thing that he has little/nothing to do with (like other people killing people) than I guess he should get/deserve all the credit for every vague unrelated positive thing that has happened during his term

I guess that means that....Obama is 100% responsible for killing Bin Laden, low Gas prices, the incredible turnaround of the housing market and the Dow and S&P500, very low unemployment rate across the US etc etc etc....Those are all 100 percent his and only his achievements....no outside unrelated factors had anything to do with it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 AM

387 posts, read 356,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Can't tell if you're serious or just trolling...either way that statement is obviously false. Obama does not incite police brutality.
So one 6 month upswing in crime across some (and not all) major cities (out of his nearly 8 year presidential term) proves that its his fault for the temporary upswing in crime?? WTF kind of "logic" is this??

In that case you should look at your boy Ronald Reagan....You should have seen the crime in the 80's during his presidential terms...Those days make 2015 look like nothing and nearly every major city was a hellhole!!! I guess that was all 100% ole Ronnie's fault!! Right??

Old 07-20-2015, 09:44 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
So one 6 month upswing in crime across some (and not all) major cities (out of his nearly 8 year presidential term) proves that its his fault for the temporary upswing in crime?? WTF kind of "logic" is this??

In that case you should look at your boy Ronald Reagan....You should have seen the crime in the 80's during his presidential terms...Those days make 2015 look like nothing and nearly every major city was a hellhole!!! I guess that was all 100% ole Ronnie's fault!! Right??
Umm, I think we are on the same page here. I'm saying that Obama is NOT at fault for the recent police brutality trend and the possible backlash of more murders and violent crime happening. As if any president honestly wants to make this country a less safe place.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:14 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
We can thank Obama for this. He has created a society in which police are afraid to do their jobs now.
You're kidding, right? The homicide rate in our country has gone from 5.4/100,000 to 4.5/100,000 people since Obama took office.

Even with that fact, I don't believe the president personally had much of anything to do with the crime rates in our country going one way or the other. There hasn't been some huge shift in policies.

I have to roll my eyes and the crazy things people will try to blame on the president. Some of it is just hilarious.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM

448 posts, read 592,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
That's because we have a black president and the prejudiced white folks find him to be an easy scapegoat.

That's has nothing to do with the media creating division and listing someone's race everytime a white harms a black. We don't need to know the race, just the crime. The media and Obama are creating something out of nothing. Obama and the media has done more harm for race relations than good. We are taking a step back.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
That's has nothing to do with the media creating division and listing someone's race everytime a white harms a black. We don't need to know the race, just the crime. The media and Obama are creating something out of nothing. Obama and the media has done more harm for race relations than good. We are taking a step back.
Go read up on the history of racism (and ongoing issues with it) in America....the history of unfair treatment of minorities (black people and Native Americans especially) goes back centuries and isn't exactly a secret, and one simply has to observe things objectively to see there are still problems. Hell, the civil rights movement was only 50 years ago. You know who's harming race relations? Racist people. Not Obama or others who are speaking out against racism.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
You act like Obama controls the media...the president has no such control, it's not like he's in cahoots with them or something. Kind of reminds me how people like to blame the president for high gas prices of $4 a gallon, but when they dropped to $2 a gallon earlier this year it has nothing to do with him, well of course it has nothing to do with him!

The media does what the media does, suggesting a president is in cahoots with the media is just pure ludicrous. You may resume watching Fox News, a "news" station that supports certain ideals.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:06 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
Despite LA's decline in homicides, LA like many cities is still seeing a 15% rise in shootings and a 19% rise in shooting victims compared to last year. There were 1,067 shootings by July 11th last year. As of July 11th this year there's been 1,229 shootings.

Detroit had a 25% rise through March or April I believe. Not sure what the count is now. I don't think Detroit PD makes homicide updates public like other cities.
Detroit's data is public, but as of this month there's roughly the same number of homicides as there were last year. So unlike the other cities in that USA article, Detroit has neither seen an increase or decrease in homicides.

https://data.detroitmi.gov/Public-Sa...2015/up7p-ndxx

As of July 20th
2015: 153
2014: 153
2013: 178

I do remember seeing that shootings were up, but most other crimes were down. Don't know by how much though.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:10 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
go read up on the history of racism (and ongoing issues with it) in america....the history of unfair treatment of minorities (black people and native americans especially) goes back centuries and isn't exactly a secret, and one simply has to observe things objectively to see there are still problems. Hell, the civil rights movement was only 50 years ago. You know who's harming race relations? Racist people. Not obama or others who are speaking out against racism.
+1

Old 07-20-2015, 04:29 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Quote:
Race is always mentioned when crimes are committed. It's how police keep descriptions of criminals. Listing someone's race is not an issue. What people infer from the description of one's race is the issue.

A white person committing a crime is considered unusual or random or isolated or they have some sort of mental disorder. A black, hispanic, and these days, an arab committing a crime is always something that is expected of their race. Like somehow non-whites are inherently violent and savage. Or to put it another way, when a white person commits a crime, the entire race is still not responsible for their actions when the same not true for the perception of non-whites. This is something that has existed long before Obama was even born and still hasn't changed to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City