Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 05:21 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The usual suspects like always: Baltimore, Chicago, St. Louis, and New Orleans. Surprisingly LA saw a drop in homicide rates and Detroit is not mentioned at all?
Despite LA's decline in homicides, LA like many cities is still seeing a 15% rise in shootings and a 19% rise in shooting victims compared to last year. There were 1,067 shootings by July 11th last year. As of July 11th this year there's been 1,229 shootings.

Detroit had a 25% rise through March or April I believe. Not sure what the count is now. I don't think Detroit PD makes homicide updates public like other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:29 PM

387 posts, read 356,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Do you know why? Because many of the cities on the list are very small municipalities. Chicago is 234 square miles. So, if these small cities incorporated 200 square miles of land around them, the homicide rate would be much lower. In other words, if the south side of Chicago was a city by itself, would it not be on the list?

For example, if Detroit incorporated another 100 square miles from affluent Oakland county, its homicide rate would be drastically reduced. But would that mean that Detroit is safe? Look at Harvey, IL as an example of what I am trying to say. The city is only 6 square miles and it is on the list.

So the fact that the south side of Chicago is part of Chicago, the number of homicides in that area become conflated with other districts of Chicago. When people talk about crime in Chicago, they are referring to the south side...not Lincoln Park. The south side of Chicago has an annual murder rate of 40 per 100,000 people.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-is-two-cities

True, but you could presumably do that for many large urban areas which have nice, okay, and terrible areas....It's certainly not unique to Chicago....not to mention who the hell would move to South Chicago unless they were dirt poor??

I agree that the list is misleading since they a lump in big cities with medium and small cities and you really can't compare them to each other....That being said what you are talking about applies to nearly all Big American cities...

My point is if crime is big concern of yours (which it is for many people) you could do alot worse in many cities compared to Chicago....

Old 07-19-2015, 07:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
True, but you could presumably do that for many large urban areas which have nice, okay, and terrible areas....It's certainly not unique to Chicago....not to mention who the hell would move to South Chicago unless they were dirt poor??

I agree that the list is misleading since they a lump in big cities with medium and small cities and you really can't compare them to each other....That being said what you are talking about applies to nearly all Big American cities...

My point is if crime is big concern of yours (which it is for many people) you could do alot worse in many cities compared to Chicago....
Fair enough. There are parts of Chicago which are wonderful and safe where you could live with a reasonable sense of security. But the national awareness on crime in south Chicago is due to reality on the ground. Sometimes I think that this country is screwed with all the crime. Many cities or metro areas have created districts which are crime infested and other areas which are relatively safe. I am not sure how sustainable this is.

I know this sounds crazy, but sometimes I wonder if people in states like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana,Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan do not push to form another country. Perhaps I am mistaken, but does it not seem that crime in these places is much lower and there is much less social inequalities than the rest of the country?

Old 07-19-2015, 07:52 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
We had 7 more shootings in St.Louis last night. It's hard to understand what's going on when you see these stories on the news, one of these shootings occurred when a man was accosted outside by a bar by a guy wanting to rob him. He grabbed hold of the gun and while they were wrestling for it another guy shows up out of nowhere and shoots both the robber and the victim. I don't know if he ended up robbing both of them or just got excited and wanted in on the action that was going on.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:06 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
We can thank Obama for this. He has created a society in which police are afraid to do their jobs now.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
We can thank Obama for this. He has created a society in which police are afraid to do their jobs now.

Comments like these are so odd to me. People live so much in their own little world they truly don't even see their own ignorance. The current problems in the inner cities started about.. oh I don't know.. 70 years. Hell some form of this ghetto struggle has probably existed since the beginning of time. I guess it doesn't matter who is President, people will blindly blame anyone. Maybe we should talk about improving the family structure within families that are broken. Help more young people who are going down the wrong path in those pivotal first years of adulthood. Nothing was ever going to stop the deindustrialization of our country in the 20th century. You cannot blame one person for the poverty that exists in certain areas of our country or the violence that erupts pretty much around this time every year.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Crime in Chicago is very exaggerated because of OBAMA!!!!!!!....It has alot of overall crime (through mostly isolated in certain neighborhoods) but on a per capita basis it is average or even slightly below average compared to many other cities.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Memphis, Detroit, St Louis, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, Milwaukee, Oakland, Miami, Atlanta, Birmingham etc etc all have worse per capita crime....Even Washington DC may have worse per capita crime, but DC has gotten much safer lately as well so I'm not sure....

NYC, LA, Boston, San Diego and Portland/Seattle are the only major cities that are clearly safer on a per capita basis than Chicago....All others are comparable or even worse...

Chicago is nowhere to be found on this list

Top 100 most dangerous places to live in the USA - NeighborhoodScout
Thank you, not enough people realize this.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:58 PM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Quote:
He and the media also helped divide this country, I've never heard about race so much than in these past few years.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Can't tell if you're serious or just trolling...either way that statement is obviously false. Obama does not incite police brutality.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
He and the media also helped divide this country, I've never heard about race so much than in these past few years.
That's because we have a black president and the prejudiced white folks find him to be an easy scapegoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City