Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 08:45 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,245,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Too bad you can't live in a city that you have some respect for. As far as sprawl goes DFW matches Greater Houston's sprawl tit for tat

In the end You can think whatever you wish, but the results of internet polls ( especially anonymous ones) are about as valid as the opinions of people who place any credence on their results. ......
Oh I've got plenty of respect for KC, but I'm well aware of its shortcomings, sprawl being one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 AM

6,296 posts, read 7,522,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
But isn't that the point of this thread "...reputation OUTSIDE of Texas..."
I know but Bluefox stated his personal opinion that DFW was a better city and metro, which I agree was beside the point, but nonetheless needed to be addressed IMNSHO..

Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,805,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think this debate trying to caste one Texas city as more southern than the other is laughable. I assume the intent is to stigmatize the city that is more southern with all the historical baggage that being southern entails or to get the other off the southern hook. Whether Houston is more southern, or even southern at all, is irrelevant as to which is the more Texan city. Houston is by history and pedigree the more quintessential Texan city. If it turns out that Houston is more southern all that does is pull the rest of Texas further or closer into the "southern" classification . We are still one state at this time and these groupings tend to include whole states, so if Houston is southern so is Dallas. Its like being a little pregnant you either are or you are not.
Agreed. Houston is simply in a different region of the South than Dallas is. It's more humid and has more of the model flora associated with the South, but pretty much every other measure of southerness is about equal in both areas, except Houston is more Catholic.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,054,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Agreed. Houston is simply in a different region of the South than Dallas is. It's more humid and has more of the model flora associated with the South, but pretty much every other measure of southerness is about equal in both areas, except Houston is more Catholic.
Remember, the South isn't monolithic...there is no general "model flora" or humidity levels of the South because there are drastically different areas ranging from Kentucky to Florida and Virginia to Arkansas. There are lots of different climates and landscapes that can be pretty drastically different, including mountains, piedmont, coastal plains, beaches, islands, swamps, foothills, flatlands, etc. Just like varying cultures across the South, geography and climate vary widely.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Remember, the South isn't monolithic...there is no general "model flora" or humidity levels of the South because there are drastically different areas ranging from Kentucky to Florida and Virginia to Arkansas. There are lots of different climates and landscapes that can be pretty drastically different, including mountains, piedmont, coastal plains, beaches, islands, swamps, foothills, flatlands, etc. Just like varying cultures across the South, geography and climate vary widely.
There's no denying that the majority of what most people call the South is located within or very near to pine forests; usually loblolly. Houston also has more of the magnolias and live oaks that are often associated with the region.

I'm about the last person here that needs to be schooled on what it means to be southern.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
There's no denying that the majority of what most people call the South is located within or very near to pine forests; usually loblolly. Houston also has more of the magnolias and live oaks that are often associated with the region.

I'm about the last person here that needs to be schooled on what it means to be southern.
I'm not sure how you know what most people think, but I highly doubt people in the mid and upper South think of pine forests having much to do with southern landscape. It sounded a bit like you do need be schooled on what the South actually is from your generalizations about it. And just because some people (certainly not most people) have a false idea about what makes up the region doesn't make it true.

Live oaks and magnolias are associated with PARTS of the region, but not so much with other parts of the region. That was my point, not to school you on anything.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,158,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Live oaks and magnolias are associated with PARTS of the region, but not so much with other parts of the region. That was my point, not to school you on anything.
He is right though, Houston looks much more like the rest of the South than Dallas. Dallas is in a plain with stubbly trees. I guess you can say if you cast the "southern" net wide to include all of Texas and Oklahoma, then you have even deserts in the south. But that's just a very small minority of people who live in those topographical areas of the south.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
He is right though, Houston looks much more like the rest of the South than Dallas. Dallas is in a plain with stubbly trees. I guess you can say if you cast the "southern" net wide to include all of Texas and Oklahoma, then you have even deserts in the south. But that's just a very small minority of people who live in those topographical areas of the south.
Yes he is right that Houston looks more like some of the South, but it doesn't look anymore like other parts of the South than Dallas does. There is no "rest of the South" look. His comment sounded as if the South has one look and Houston looks like that. I was just saying that the South has many looks and I guess he took it as if I were "schooling him". That wasn't my intention.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM

Here's a map of the loblolly pine range. It clearly covers the majority of what is considered the South.

If I've already stated that both Dallas and Houston are southern cities, obviously I realize that the South has more than one look.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Here's a map of the loblolly pine range. It clearly covers the majority of what is considered the South.

If I've already stated that both Dallas and Houston are southern cities, obviously I realize that the South has more than one look.
Okay, I'm glad you realize that. It didn't sound like you did.

The loblolly pine region covers a lot of ground...I never said it didn't. But it isn't the most common tree across most of that map - it's just a part of the landscape and in natural to the area. It is very prominent in some areas, and less so in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City