Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,409,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Dallas: Pros: strong economy, so much to do, low cost of living. Cons: Can get really hot/humid in the summer.

Honolulu: Pros: Great weather, beautiful geography. Cons: Excruciatingly expensive, geographically isolated.

Winner: Dallas

Orlando FL or Las Vegas NV?
Orlando. Two of my least favorite cities in the US actually lol. But Orlando has the better downtown and access to other cities. Las Vegas has amazing nightlife, but as a gay male, it is a very overpriced and sexist scene and I will most likely never return for that. I do enjoy the fact that it has such a draw for DJs and music, but I can't afford several hundred dollars to see a single DJ, so what's the benefit to me? Lol. Orlando is close to some of the best beaches in the world. Though Disneyworld is something I would hate having so close, I would appreciate the better downtown and scenery that Orlando has. I prefer greenery over desert landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:46 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,409,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Orlando...I like the city and having all the theme parks in the vicinity gives you lots of options for things to do on top of your normal metropolitan amenities. It's warm and not far from several beaches. I always said if I moved to Florida, it would be Orlando.

Minneapolis or Sacramento?
Just missed it, so I'll do this too.

Tough decision. I'd probably go with Minneapolis, though, since cold temperatures really don't bother me much at all. The COL is much lower, I love Canada and it's much closer, and Chicago is my favorite city in the country and it's closer to that. Also, while Sacramento is a great city on its own, being in the state with SF, LA, and SD brings its allure down. A lot of the cultural activities skip Sacramento for the bigger cities. Minneapolis is the hub of the state and seems to get more activity because of that.

Jacksonville, FL or Mobile, AL?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,586,788 times
Quote:
Orlando...I like the city and having all the theme parks in the vicinity gives you lots of options for things to do on top of your normal metropolitan amenities. It's warm and not far from several beaches. I always said if I moved to Florida, it would be Orlando.

Minneapolis or Sacramento?
I totally with you about Orlando. We love it too.

I would defiantly Pick Minneapolis. A great area with a lot to offer, except for the cold, lol. There's something about Sacramento that's just "blah" with me.

Charlottesville VA or Lincoln NE?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:39 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,958,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I totally with you about Orlando. We love it too.

I would defiantly Pick Minneapolis. A great area with a lot to offer, except for the cold, lol. There's something about Sacramento that's just "blah" with me.

Charlottesville VA or Lincoln NE?
I have never been to Charlottesville but a good friend of mine went to school there and has regaled me with colorful accounts of his time there. I have been to Lincoln in what must be one of its best time to visit, Celebrate Lincoln days which was fun for what it was; lots of college kids carousing around drinking- I do love a college town but as a middle aged guy there has got to be something more and other than the beautiful Capitol building and the handsome Sheldon Museum there really isn't much going on there, or at least to keep me interested for a good while. I would love to take in a football game there!

I envison Charlottesville as having the same, if not better college town vibe, (probably not as single minded sporty- football) and with much more beautiful architecture, historic houses, trees (although Lincoln has a great treescape), rolling hills and some Southern (but not too Southern lol) charm! Not too far from D.C. and great national parks nearby. Sounds like a fine city.

Charlotte for me

Tarpon Springs, Florida or Gloucester, Mass?

Old 04-08-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I have never been to Charlottesville but a good friend of mine went to school there and has regaled me with colorful accounts of his time there. I have been to Lincoln in what must be one of its best time to visit, Celebrate Lincoln days which was fun for what it was; lots of college kids carousing around drinking- I do love a college town but as a middle aged guy there has got to be something more and other than the beautiful Capitol building and the handsome Sheldon Museum there really isn't much going on there, or at least to keep me interested for a good while. I would love to take in a football game there!

I envison Charlottesville as having the same, if not better college town vibe, (probably not as single minded sporty- football) and with much more beautiful architecture, historic houses, trees (although Lincoln has a great treescape), rolling hills and some Southern (but not too Southern lol) charm! Not too far from D.C. and great national parks nearby. Sounds like a fine city.

Charlotte for me

Tarpon Springs, Florida or Gloucester, Mass?
Great observations, Damon. I've been to Charlottesville quite a bit and it's a real hidden gem. You described it very well given that you've never visited, lol.

My wife was raised in the Boston and and we visit there a lot. Gloucester is a beautiful area with a lot of charm. But it's just to darn expensive to live there. I love the Tampa/St. Petersburg area and Tarpon Springs is great. Awesome Greek restaurants there. My kind of weather and not far from Orlando. So, I'm going with TS.

Melbourne FL or Oxnard CA?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:40 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,232,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Just missed it, so I'll do this too.

Tough decision. I'd probably go with Minneapolis, though, since cold temperatures really don't bother me much at all. The COL is much lower, I love Canada and it's much closer, and Chicago is my favorite city in the country and it's closer to that. Also, while Sacramento is a great city on its own, being in the state with SF, LA, and SD brings its allure down. A lot of the cultural activities skip Sacramento for the bigger cities. Minneapolis is the hub of the state and seems to get more activity because of that.

Jacksonville, FL or Mobile, AL?
Jacksonville; bigger, more to do.

Columbus, GA or Fayetteville, NC?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Jacksonville; bigger, more to do.

Columbus, GA or Fayetteville, NC?
You're on a roll, Mutiny, lol. Our youngest son is going to be at Air School in Ft. Benning (Columbus, GA) and entering the 82nd Airborne in Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville, NC). Not being a big fan of either city, I'd pick Fayetteville. It's in NC and where our son will be permanently stationed (2h 45m from us).

Washington DC or NYC?

Old 04-11-2016, 03:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,442,279 times
NYC; always been a dream of mine to make it big there

Louisville, Kentucky or Chicago, Illinois?

Old 04-11-2016, 03:47 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,279,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
NYC; always been a dream of mine to make it big there

Louisville, Kentucky or Chicago, Illinois?
Chicago and it's not close...its the 2nd best city in the country w/ just so much to do.

Charleston, SC or Portland, ME

Old 04-11-2016, 04:10 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,442,279 times
Charleston; prefer the climate and southern culture

Columbus, Ohio or Houston, Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City