Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 06:49 AM

1,236 posts, read 2,347,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Williams. I much prefer the weather, elevation, location, proximity to a better city, and my husband has been asked to take a job in Williams on numerous occasions so I'm sure he could have a job there tomorrow if needed.

Milwaukee or Baltimore?
Baltimore. Both are great cities. Both have their issues, but I prefer B-More's weather, proximity to the Northeast corridor and urban layout.

Edit: Oops! I was too slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Milwaukee. This was a tough decision for me. Baltimore's crime rate is just far too high for my liking. It has a tremendously-appealing built environment, walkability, beautiful historic rowhomes, the Inner Harbor, a great location proximate to the mountains; DC; Philadelphia; or the beaches; etc., but I like to explore cities extensively on foot. I'd be much more terrified to do so in Baltimore than in Milwaukee. I mean I even walk through Pittsburgh's worst neighborhoods (in daylight) and never feel uncomfortable. Not sure I could say the same for Baltimore. If and when Baltimore gets its crime under control my decision would be swayed towards Baltimore.

For Milwaukee I'd love to take day-trips to Chicago or Madison. The lakefront setting is appealing. There are great walkable historic neighborhoods. Very underrated city. Yes, there's still crime, but I feel like overall it's a safer city than Baltimore.

NEXT: Saranac Lake, NY or Bend, OR?
Saranac Lake for sure. The Adirondacks region is one of my absolute favorite places to be.

Providence, RI or Wilmington, DE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 AM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Baltimore. Both are great cities. Both have their issues, but I prefer B-More's weather, proximity to the Northeast corridor and urban layout.

Edit: Oops! I was too slow.

Saranac Lake for sure. The Adirondacks region is one of my absolute favorite places to be.

Providence, RI or Wilmington, DE
Providence.

God bless 'em in Wilmington; they're moving heaven and earth to turn that credit-card-bank haven into a city with a real live-work-play center. But despite their best efforts, the air still seems to get sucked out of downtown Wilmington by 6 p.m.

That's no longer the case in Providence, which is bigger to begin with.

It's a wash on the bigger cities each sits in the shadow of.

Hartford, Ct., or Springfield, Mass.? (Whichever one of these you choose, you'll fly into the same airport in Windsor Locks, Ct., to get to them.)

Old 08-16-2019, 09:05 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,565,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Providence.

God bless 'em in Wilmington; they're moving heaven and earth to turn that credit-card-bank haven into a city with a real live-work-play center. But despite their best efforts, the air still seems to get sucked out of downtown Wilmington by 6 p.m.

That's no longer the case in Providence, which is bigger to begin with.

It's a wash on the bigger cities each sits in the shadow of.

Hartford, Ct., or Springfield, Mass.? (Whichever one of these you choose, you'll fly into the same airport in Windsor Locks, Ct., to get to them.)
Springfield. I prefer MA to CT.

Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Springfield. I prefer MA to CT.

Savannah, GA or Charleston, SC?
Both.

But since I must choose, Savannah.

There's something just a little more funky about its Old Southern charm, and I really like that modular city plan James Oglethorpe devised for the city. Shame the city abandoned it after only a little while.

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:15 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,565,698 times
Quote:
Both.

But since I must choose, Savannah.

There's something just a little more funky about its Old Southern charm, and I really like that modular city plan James Oglethorpe devised for the city. Shame the city abandoned it after only a little while.

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?
Columbia, SC. Very underrated small metro. A good number of things to do for its size. Convenient to Charleston, Asheville, and Charlotte. Great people. A nice economy and affordable. Great quality of life.

Kansas City, MO or Cincinnati, OH?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Columbia, SC. Very underrated small metro. A good number of things to do for its size. Convenient to Charleston, Asheville, and Charlotte. Great people. A nice economy and affordable. Great quality of life.

Kansas City, MO or Cincinnati, OH?
I need to stop checking this thread so often.

Need you ask?

Kansas City for the win. Not to knock Cincy's considerable charm and history, but my forever hometown IMO is simply the most agreeable second-tier large city in the country to live in overall. (And I'd rank it above most of the superstar cities on the overall QOL scale too. It may not have the best of everything, but it has a lot of great things in and about it, some of them surprisingly so.)

Dallas or Houston?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,202,133 times
Quote:
I need to stop checking this thread so often.

Need you ask?

Kansas City for the win. Not to knock Cincy's considerable charm and history, but my forever hometown IMO is simply the most agreeable second-tier large city in the country to live in overall. (And I'd rank it above most of the superstar cities on the overall QOL scale too. It may not have the best of everything, but it has a lot of great things in and about it, some of them surprisingly so.)

Dallas or Houston?
Dallas. If I have to live in Texas I at least want hockey.

Lincoln, NE or Wichita, KS?

Old 08-16-2019, 09:52 AM

795 posts, read 488,408 times
Both to my understanding seem like nice midwestern cities. I would probably pick Lincoln, NE, I don't have a specific reason, but it was a close call.

Nashville or Memphis TN?

Old 08-16-2019, 10:00 AM

7,780 posts, read 10,206,201 times
Nashville. Admittedly I have not been to Memphis and Nashville would make sense in many ways...but yeah, for me easily Nashville.

Cincy v Cleveland

Old 08-16-2019, 10:15 AM

30,735 posts, read 18,414,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Nashville. Admittedly I have not been to Memphis and Nashville would make sense in many ways...but yeah, for me easily Nashville.

Cincy v Cleveland
Cleveland, though I haven't been to either

Honolulu or San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City